Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well it's not as if they played that many gigs, so the singing prowess of the lead singer never really became an issue.

Not sure what you mean here? He's played plenty of gigs as a solo act and his singing is always flat then too. He's just not a good 'live' singer imo. whether the crowd drowns him out or not doesn’t change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Morrison J wrote: »
    Phoenix Park t-shirt on Ian :D
    015sf.jpg
    The Phoenix Park tickets mustn't be selling, despite what MCD are saying.

SteM wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean here? He's played plenty of gigs as a solo act and his singing is always flat then too. He's just not a good 'live' singer imo. whether the crowd drowns him out or not doesn’t change that fact.
    And I've been to many of them, and I agree, he's a terrible singer.

I just thought you were talking about him singing while in the Roses during the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Phoenix Park tickets mustn't be selling, despite what MCD are saying.
    pretty certain that would have absolutely no relevance to what Ian chooses to wear....

pretty certain that would have absolutely no relevance to what Ian chooses to wear....
    Well as seen as this is their pension tour, I'd say it has an awful lot to do with it.

Well as seen as this is their pension tour, I'd say it has an awful lot to do with it.
    the band get paid either way no matter how many tickets are sold.
    they have a fee, promoter pays the fee, they turn up and do their gig.
    MCD are the ones who need to promote it and re-coup the money. I doubt Ian or any of the band give a sh1t whether it's half sold out, or completely sold out.

and really, do you think someone who doesn't already have a ticket or know about them playing Phoenix Park is going to stumble across photos of the gig and Ian wearing a tshirt is going to motivate them to buy a PP ticket? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I doubt Ian or any of the band give a sh1t whether it's half sold out, or completely sold out.
    Yep, all bands love playing to half empty venues. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I honestly doubt the T shirt was a limp effort to shift tickets, anyone who knows Ian Brown knows he doesn't carry on like that. You are talking about an extremely successful solo artist remember, he filled the Phoenix Park Big Top on his own so I don't buy that he has somehow turned into this evil corporate monkey overnight.

Of course they want tickets to sell and yes there is money on the line, but the hype around these shows is phenomenal. If the Roses have trouble selling tickets for a reunion tour, given their massive cult following, then the rest of the music world should be very worried indeed.

I'll probably cave eventually :D

Savman wrote: »
    I honestly doubt the T shirt was a limp effort to shift tickets, anyone who knows Ian Brown knows he doesn't carry on like that. You are talking about an extremely successful solo artist remember, he filled the Phoenix Park Big Top on his own so I don't buy that he has somehow turned into this evil corporate monkey overnight.
    Well how many years has he being saying that they'll never reform. The whole reunion is a big money making exercise tbh, not that I'm complaining, I'll be front row on June 31st!!

I reckon he was given the t-shirt by someone in MCD, but then again, so what.

Savman wrote: »
    Of course they want tickets to sell and yes there is money on the line, but the hype around these shows is phenomenal. If the Roses have trouble selling tickets for a reunion tour, given their massive cult following, then the rest of the music world should be very worried indeed.
    I think they Phoenix Park sales aren't great, or weren't as great as were expected, which I'd say was down to the fact that quite a few of the hardcore fans just got tickets for Heaton Park.

Yep, all bands love playing to half empty venues. :rolleyes:
    lots of big bands wouldn't care. 22k or 45k in a field, it's much of a muchness.

not that that really makes any difference, few artists would wear a tshirt in this way to try stimulate sales. i doubt he even knows how tickets are selling tbh.

there'll be a hell of a lot more PR from MCD, the people who need tickets to sell, before they'll be getting Ian Brown to wear a tshirt in a different country at essentially a fan-club gig.

to think that he's wearing it to promote ticket sales here is laughably silly really.

to think that he's wearing it to promote ticket sales here is laughably silly really.
    Well laugh away sunshine, laugh away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well you can still buy tickets for the show on TM.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chalad

Guys,

As far as I'm concerned the nay-sayers can **** right off. Mani, Squire, Reni, sound better than ever.

Yes, Ian Brown has his limitations as a live singer but I honestly can't imagine anyone else singing those songs. He's a great frontman, sounds ace on the albums and his live singing sounds about as good as it ever could do at Warrington the other night, so at least give him credit for that.

If anyone wants to listen to the full audio of the other night's gig, it's available here............

http://soundcloud.com/byebyebadman-1/the-stone-roses-warrington

BrianD wrote: »
    you could buy Heaton Park tickets last week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

BrianD wrote: »
    must be close, I can get 2 but not 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

There is no way that Brown is trying to sell tickets with the t-shirt wearing. If the main band isn't selling tickets, then you bring in Noel and The Vaccines. You don't get the lead singer to wear a t-shirt at a gig. The Minutes aren't going to pull in thousands folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There is no way that Brown is trying to sell tickets with the t-shirt wearing. If the main band isn't selling tickets, then you bring in Noel and The Vaccines. You don't get the lead singer to wear a t-shirt at a gig. The Minutes aren't going to pull in thousands folks.

Ian Brown is selling merch!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭deeks

Getting close now!!! Just booked my hotel. Booked one in the centre of town.

I'm not that familiar with the Phoenix Park and imagine there's a number of entrances. Does anyone know which entrance will be relevant for the gig and also the best way of getting there from the centre of town (and - more importantly - back in after).

deeks wrote: »
    Getting close now!!! Just booked my hotel. Booked one in the centre of town.

I'm not that familiar with the Phoenix Park and imagine there's a number of entrances. Does anyone know which entrance will be relevant for the gig and also the best way of getting there from the centre of town (and - more importantly - back in after).

The Parkgate entrance is the only one you'd need to worry about. That's the largest entrance closest to town so you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Det. McNulty

Anyone else reckon that the Friday at the Park was meant to be for the Roses but sales haven't been what MCD imagined? This is not from a Roses basher by the way, am going the Thursday and can't wait for it. Think a lot of fans would have bought Heaton tickets straight away and then not bother with the Phoenix. But can't see why MCD would do gigs at the Phoenix Thurs/Sat/Sun and then no shout for a Friday gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Tonights set in Barcelona:

Adored,Sally Cinamon,Mersey Paradise,Ten Storey Love Song,Where Angels Play,Shoot You Down,Waterfall,Fools Gold,Standing Here,She Bangs the Drums,Made of Stone,This is the One,Love Spreads,Resurrection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

I was in Barcelona for the gigs on Friday and Saturday. Honestly the best gigs I have ever seen. Here's a review from a local Spanish journo:

Here I am at the Sala Razzmatazz in Barcelona on the first of two nights here to witness the start of the epic return of The Stone Roses. The last time they played Barcelona (Sala Zaleste) was on May 8th 1996 and by the October, they had split up, going their separate ways. Shoot forward 16 years and here I am.

Tonight feels really special. I get to the venue around 4.30pm there is already a crowd gathering outside along with a few die hard fans. I got talking to one fan from Aberdeen who had heard the sound check the day before hearing Fools Gold, Bye Bye Badman and particularly Somethings Burning (which lasted over 10 minutes and they also practised Fools Gold over and over).

By 6pm the bars around the venue were filling up with fans chatting and telling their own stories of the trip the Roses had taken them on. The atmosphere was great, the beer was cold and everyone was buzzing .The queue moved inside with ease and I take my position. The DJ is on and spinning old school tunes; Voodoo Ray, 54 46 that’s my number and Babe Ruth the Mexican to name a few. It gets the crowd going, the lights dim and the DJ bangs on Stoned Love by the Supremes.

The Roses come on stage together and the crowd erupts! Mani punches the air shouting “Come on”. We all know what’s coming, what we’re all waiting for…the unforgettable bass line of I Wanna Be Adored, and when it comes, the whole place begins to bounce and sing over the instrumental. Ian sings “I don’t have to sell my soul he’s already in me”. I feel numb inside to a point that I cannot believe this is happening. It’s an inspiring start to the night.

Just as we are at the starting blocks for this rollercoaster of a night there’s a quick guitar change from John and it’s the first song that got me into the Roses – Sally Cinnamon and Ian’s vocals are excellent, like they are throughout. Ian, John and Mani exchange smiles. Mersey Paradise receives big cheers, it’s always a big favourite. Reni’s got his bandana on and I wonder if he’ll wear his bucket hat again. Ten Story Love song is a massive anthem and the crowd loves to sing it. Ian Brown asks the crowd “has anyone got any requests” followed by “we don’t do requests”.

All of them definitely on great form, playing like a band that’s never split up. The songs have a been reworked and funked up in sections but there are no solos tonight- it’s a team performance. Where Angels Play flows into Shoot You Down, followed by Waterfall’s pure dripping acid pop. Mani looks like he’s having the time of his life. I’ve really no idea what all the toby jugs are for on top of his bass amp!

I was really worried about how good they would be together. I had watched YouTube clips of Warrington and various sound bites of their songs and there is no comparison to the musical treat of their live performance. We then get treated to an epic version of Fools Gold, it’s pure liquid funkadelica that ends in the band jamming. It’s pure heaven to watch them. Standing Here lines us up for She Bangs the Drums or as Ian introduces it ” ONE FOR THE LADIES”.

You cannot help but watch John Squire, he makes it look so easy and I am sure he’s changed his guitar on every song. He plays with such grace, technique and style. He’s up there with the greats. Made of Stone with 2,000 backing singers sounds out of this world and the crowd show no signs of letting up on This Is the One. Which brings us to a super funked up version of Love Spreads. It’s lost it’s rock and roll feel so when Ian Brown starts to rap Paid in Full by Eric B and Rakin, it works perfectly, even adding his own lyrics “Stone Roses on the stage, Stone Roses all the rage”.

The lights go down, the band walk off stage together and the silence that hangs in the air is met by pure screams of joy as the Stone Roses walk back on stage. Ian has swapped his shirt for a yellow Sala Razzmatazz t-shirt. The 10 min rendition of I am the Resurrection sounds fresher than ever and it’s the perfect song to end this magical night in Barcelona .The band stand on the front of the stage together, on top of the world, arms aloft, it makes you feel great inside, all the fans want them to do well and they want to do it for the fans. The lights dim and the band walk off to the sounds of Bob Marley’s Redemption Song.

Outside I see Liam Gallagher, Bonehead and Gem Archer hanging around having a cig. It’s been a great night and for everyone who has a ticket to see them, you are in for a hell of a treat…

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Are tickets still available for this??? I thought they had sold out a while ago!! Was very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

J DEERE wrote: »
    Are tickets still available for this??? I thought they had sold out a while ago!! Was very disappointed

they were sold out a week or so ago but low and behold...they're back available again :confused:

I don't understand ticketmaster's logic to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Parkgate entrance is the only one you'd need to worry about. That's the largest entrance closest to town so you'll be grand.

What part of the Phoenix Park will the stage be in? I have been there before but I'm not really familiar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

have to try get tickets for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

how many support bands are playing ?

anyone decent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ricero wrote: »
    how many support bands are playing ?

anyone decent ?

The Minutes and the Justice Tonight Band, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Ouravit wrote: »

Oh wow, looks fantastic! :D Can't wait for it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement