Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was at the gig on Sunday and they were amazing. The sound and lights were top notch. Was actually very surprised at how well Ian Brown sounded. The videos that I'd seen of the Friday and Saturday shows didn't do him any favours.

We'd been warned that the bar was a disaster the previous nights so we didn't bother as it looked just as bad on the Sunday.

Might go on Thursday but it'll depend on funds and the weather. Don't fancy another mud bath!! But would definitely like to see them again in a smaller venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Anyone who was in Manchester, did you see the Wailers? What kind of set did they play? Many Bob classics?

3 little birds, I shot the sherriff, No Woman no Cry etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Are wellies a necessity? It doesn't look like there will be a lot of rain and as its the first of the three gigs we will get first crack at the ground! Opinions please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Only 2 days to go! :D

Debating whether to book an hotel for the night and stay around Dublin or go up and back same night on the minibus.

I think wellies are the best idea tbh. There has been quite a lot of rain over the past few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I think wellies are the best idea tbh. There has been quite a lot of rain over the past few days.

The foecast for Thursday is terrible. Are wellies really necessary? I don't want to look a spannerhead so I'm not going to bring them. If it's lashing down on the day I might buy a cheap pair in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

lukin wrote: »
    The foecast for Thursday is terrible. Are wellies really necessary? I don't want to look a spannerhead so I'm not going to bring them. If it's lashing down on the day I might buy a cheap pair in town.

How the hell would you look like a "spannerhead"???? The vast majority of people who attend outdoor gigs on a regular basis will always wear wellies.

I was at Heaton Park Sunday night and 85% of people had them or a pair of working boots on. The other 15% wore white trainers, had mud up to there ankles and had soaking wet feet!!!

lukin wrote: »

This:
    How the hell would you look like a "spannerhead"???? The vast majority of people who attend outdoor gigs on a regular basis will always wear wellies.

Forget lashing down on the day. It's not the rain coming from the sky that you have to worry about. You're going to be in a field. It's the rain that's already been on the ground for days that you wear wellies for!!!

I wear wellies and rain coat to all outdoor gigs as standard.

The only time I didn't wear my own wellies was at forbidden fruit because I hadn't been coming straight from home, I bought some in Penneys and left them at the gig, arrived to The Button Factory and was almost the only one not wearing wellies in the club!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Will it be that bad, given it's the first night of the run of gigs in the park, so it shouldn't be that cut up?

I was in Heaton Park on Friday night, and although I did wear my walking boots, trainers would've been fine too. (I'm sure Saturday was worse, and Sunday worse again though).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

As was referenced earlier, I just received an email from Ticketmaster to advise of a time change to the gig.
    The Stone Roses
    Event Update

Venue: Phoenix Park, Dublin
    Date: 5th July 2012
    Gates Open: 5pm

EVENT UPDATE
    Ticketmaster would like to take this opportunity to thank you for booking your tickets for The Stone Roses with us.
    Please note the gates open for this event at 5pm.
    If you have any further queries please contact Ticketmaster Customer Service on 0818 903 001 or 0844 277 9964 If calling from Northern Ireland Monday to Saturday 9.30 to 6pm.
    Please have your order number and credit/laser card ready when calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

As was referenced earlier, I just received an email from Ticketmaster to advise of a time change to the gig.
    does this mean they could be onstage early, like 8pm.

cos that would be ****

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Will it be that bad, given it's the first night of the run of gigs in the park, so it shouldn't be that cut up?

Maybe. Maybe not.
    I wouldn't go without wellies to Slane though for example, unless it had been exceptional weather, and there is only one gig there a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Macy0161 wrote: »

I was in Heaton Park on Friday night, and although I did wear my walking boots, trainers would've been fine too. (I'm sure Saturday was worse, and Sunday worse again though).

Yeh thats what im thinking ive been to festivals were wellies were needed but never a one day event like slane have i needed wellies and I was in Heaton Park on the Saturday wore trainers and had no problems at all ground was a bit slippy but no wet feet or mud up over my ankles or anything like it. One things for sure either those wearing wellies or trainers one groups going to look a bit over or under done on the day :).

But looking froward to Thurs hopefully they put on as good a show as they did in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'll be wearing old runners on Thursday, can't be bothered with wellies for a few hours, especially if you're getting public transport there and back and want to go for a few pints in a pub or something first.
    if i was going to whatever gig is on Sunday i'd wear wellies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was at Heaton Park Sunday night and 85% of people had them or a pair of working boots on. The other 15% wore white trainers, had mud up to there ankles and had soaking wet feet!!!

If you're a girl you can wear wellies and look grand. If you're a bloke and you wear them to a gig you look like a spannerhead.

I don't think the ground will be a problem, I've been to a few outdoor concerts (not festivals) in bad weather and the ground is always fine. Festivals are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.herald.ie/news/phoenix-park-floods-spell-grief-ahead-of-stone-roses-concert-3154278.html
    FLOODING on the main artery of Phoenix Park has been causing grief to park users -- ahead of a summer concert series.

Walkers and joggers saw gushing water and flooding all along the pedestrian path of Chesterfield Avenue, after heavy rainfall this week.

International rock acts the Stone Roses and Snow Patrol will be playing at the venue next Thursday and Saturday.

But after Wednesday night's heavy rainfall, members of the public had to abandon using the paths on the main stretch...
    more info in that link

Then you have this
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/stone-roses-gig-wont-be-a-washout-3155615.html
    THEY may well open their set with hit 'Waterfall' -- and promoters of the historic comeback show by The Stone Roses in the Phoenix Park in Dublin on Thursday have asked the 45,000 fans attending to wear wellies.

However, MCD has also said it has a few secret weapons to keep the ground firm underfoot for the 30 and 40-something music fans expected to witness the Manchester band's resurrection after 16 years.

This comes ahead of two other shows at the park on Saturday and Sunday.

Event organiser Louis Harte said yesterday: "We are in the middle of a beautiful Irish summer, so bear that in mind by wearing wellies. The ground conditions are being tended at the moment, and we are working with the Office of Public Works to ensure the ground conditions are as safe as possible."

A 'Shattermaster', a revolutionary sub-soil turf aerator, and a 'Verti-Drain', designed for improving aeration and water percolation, are among the devices being used to keep surfaces dry.

Justin Green of MCD said yesterday that the three shows, which include one headlined by Swedish House Mafia on Saturday night, and Snow Patrol on Sunday, are estimated to give a €20-€25m "income boost" to the Dublin economy.

With Oxegen "taking a year off", the concerts are seen by some young fans as Punchestown in the Park.

MCD yesterday said they were "single-day events" and promised that Oxegen "would return next year".

Under-16s needed to be accompanied by an adult over 18 to both the Stone Roses and Snow Patrol but dance act Swedish House Mafia is over 17s.

There will be no parking at the Phoenix Park.

A small number of tickets are available for each concert.

I don't care about how I look in wellies, I just do not like walking in them, I do have a pair, obviously more expensive ones might be more comfortable and better fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

There are some serious over reactions going on here to do with a bit of rain.

Personally I'll be wearing a pair of Doc's.

It wont be that bad. Sure a bit of mud but its not going to be Glastonbury extremes. :rolleyes:

You'd swear we've never had rain here before!!

On a brighter note I can not wait for this gig.

I'd say docs would be perfect. Or cat boots or the likes.

It's people wearing flat runners that might get mucky. Sure I've seen girls in slane in high sandal wedges. For me personally though, I'd rather have the assurance of the wellies (or some sort of boot). In saying that, all my gang are going straight back to my house after the gig do no issue with going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got a txt from Ticketmaster saying gates at 5 and The Minutes on at 5.15.
    What time can we expect the lads on at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

My mate is working on site there at the moment and said it's a complete mudfest but maybe lets see how the Shattermaster gets on ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

ongarite wrote: »
    I got a txt from Ticketmaster saying gates at 5 and The Minutes on at 5.15.
    What time can we expect the lads on at now?

Looking like 8:15 if going by previous running times. Maybe they didn't invest in a decent lighting rig to have the gig later.......

That's not true at all, there weren't that many people wearing wellies. If anything, it was the other way around. The ground wasn't actually that bad on Sunday. A few areas did have quite muddy areas but you could just avoid them. I did see a few people wearing brand new white converse, which always baffles at gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I will be wearing the ever faithful docs. We've been through a lot together :D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I did see a few people wearing brand new white converse, which always baffles at gigs.
    Real or fakes? fakes are like €6-10 in penneys or dunnes. They are light with little fabric & no real sponge so they absorb little water so do not weigh you down at lot when at saturation point. They are so cheap they can be regarded as disposable.

Brand new €50 ones is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Katrina101

Hey,
    Heading to the gig tom, can’t wait getting so excited now. Was going to wear my willies…..do you think it will be a problem getting in the Button Factory afterwards with them on. Think my whole group are planning on wearing them?
    Cheers,
    Katrina

LOL...that should read wellies....;)

Classic! :D

You could try emailing the button factory and ask the policy in advance, and ask if you need to mention a name if you get hassle. I remember after slane one year we got into pubs covered head to toe in muck. They know fine well its on, and the customers inside realise it too.

Cheers,

I mailed them last week but no reply.... we will chance it and see....If not I am sure we will get in somewhere...:)

Thanks,
    Katrina

Maybe ring them later one when they are open. There is a box office there if a gig is on so somebody should be manning the phones and should know common door policy.

There will usually be lads handing out flyers for clubs after gigs like this, "aftershow parties" , advertising that they will be playing music along the same lines. These will obviously be expecting people from the venue.

Sometimes its lads from the bands doing DJ sets.

EDIT: here is one
    http://www.tickets.ie/event.aspx/fac54-stone-roses-afterparty-the-twisted-pepper-dublin-05-July-2012/WMG4P

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    I did see a few people wearing brand new white converse, which always baffles at gigs.
    Real or fakes? fakes are like €6-10 in penneys or dunnes. They are light with little fabric & no real sponge so they absorb little water so do not weigh you down at lot when at saturation point. They are so cheap they can be regarded as disposable.

Brand new €50 ones is a different story.
    Both. Generally see it at every outdoor gig.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement