Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hands up if you were singing along to Redemption Song and feeling generally good about life on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Can anyone get into the Twisted Pepper gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Brilliant gig, anybody sniff a new album?

Shame about the organisation, chaotic at best. I wont be giving MCD one cent again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yet another MCD fiasco. A 45mins walk from the concert to the park exit along a mostly unlit road no less. Who on earth signs off on these things?

On a week night they know the last public transport out of the city is 11.30pm, meaning you pretty much have to leave the gig early or you are forking out a huge taxi fare. Idiotic planning. They seemed to have learned nothing from the Oasis in Slane situation a few years back.

Forgiving the fact that the concert site was like a mucky farm, you have the wonderful array of drinks on offer: Wine, Water or Heineken. Oh and if you can deal with huge Q's, bear in mind the bar closes 10pm on the dot. I wish I was joking.

I enjoyed some of the Roses tunes, Fool's Gold in particular, but Ian Brown was very tough on the ears and the sound was very jumpy all night long.

I'd give the Roses the benefit of the doubt and would check them out again maybe indoors, but MCD can take a long walk off a short cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

so were there many creamers at this gig?

Not as many as I expected to be honest. Few skobie stoners with their slutty pieces but in the main the crowd was middle the road, studenty, arty and Joe Soaps

I'm +1 on the MCD bash, yet another fookin amateur hour organisation job. The queues for the two bar pens was almost 200 metres long and a swamp once you got in there. So everyone got probably one round before they closed at 10pm

They had flagged the state of the ground with all the recent rain, but thats a bollox excuse. It was a mud bath in places by the end and if it had been properly researched as a venue then they shouldnt hold gigs there

if tomorrows promised rain comes off i guarantee the friday and saturday gigs will not be able to go ahead, the venue will fail the safety spec

good toliets and food options tonight though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

band were absolutely great, Mani and Reni having the time of their lives, John was no nonsense, dishing out the riffs, all nice and tight, Ian's voice was fine from where I was, i'm not expecting him to sing like an angel, here never did, and tonight he was much better than I had feared he could be, suited the songs perfectly. setlist pretty much the same as Manchester, really picked up for the 2nd half, last 6/7 songs everyone was giving it socks, great atmosphere. would definitely love to see them again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can't really blame on MCD on the mud bath. They can't control the weather, and they did warn people. Luckily enough I did heed their warning and wore wellies........thank fook!! Four of us went and two of us only wore wellies. Guess which two were more p1ssed off after the gig?
    Makes such a difference with wellies! God love anybody going to the weekend gigs if the forecast rain comes!!!!

Thought the gig was fantastic, enjoyed it more thasn the Sunday night gig. Sound was definitely a bit patchy around the sound desk, but it was much better once we moved away from it.

Oh....and wellies rule!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not as many as I expected to be honest. Few skobie stoners with their slutty pieces but in the main the crowd was middle the road, studenty, arty and Joe Soaps

I'm +1 on the MCD bash, yet another fookin amateur hour organisation job. The queues for the two bar pens was almost 200 metres long and a swamp once you got in there. So everyone got probably one round before they closed at 10pm

They had flagged the state of the ground with all the recent rain, but thats a bollox excuse. It was a mud bath in places by the end and if it had been properly researched as a venue then they shouldnt hold gigs there
    if tomorrows promised rain comes off i guarantee the friday and saturday gigs will not be able to go ahead, the venue will fail the safety spec

good toliets and food options tonight though!

Cant see any of the other gigs being cancelled , sure look at all the years at Oxegen we had terrible rainfall for the whole weekend , MCD would lose WAY too much money if they cancelled

setlist pretty much the same as Manchester
    It was exactly the same as all 3 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Pretty good gig, wouldn't say its the best I've ever been but was def worth my €67.

Shook hands with Iano when he came down to the crowd, sing alongs were great as they drowned out the obvious out-of-tune state of his vocals (at times).

John Squire, best guitarist I've ever witnessed live and I've seen Slash, The Edge etc. Great diversity, I love that he can switch between so many different styles, whereas many other guitarists would play it safe by keeping to the same generic sound.

Fantastic hearing their debut album in full all the same, may be the last chance I'll ever get with the new album on the rise, so very pleased I came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

and now a seperate post on the rest of it.
    shambolic organisation from MCD. stewards had no idea where gates were, asked several before i found out where Gate A was, coming from the other side, was send round all sorts of ways, then had to go back to B to meet someone and wasn't allowed the way i came. eventually got back and in, went to the bar around 8:30 and the queue was ridiculous, well, the queue to get into the bar, once you got through a tiny bottleneck entrance it was perfectly freeflowing. of course, the ground there was in absolute bits, no idea why they didn't put down hay or chippings where the bar queue barriers were. after a while people just took the barriers apart and cut through them. pretty much no quue at the actual bars themselves.
    getting out was another mess, went towards where there was a big sign for "EXIT", no exit there, then towards another one, loads of people standing at the fence, wanting to get out. not sure if someone took it apart themselves or stewards eventually opened it bit, but people streaming out and almost falling over each other to get out such was the build up.
    overall i still had a great time, but it was the first time i've been to a gig in the Phoenix Park and i won't be rushing back. had a great time because of the band, but the organisation was all over the place.
    got away fine with runners until the end, god help anyone going over the weekend, especially if it rains, drainage at that part is rubbish.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can't really blame on MCD on the mud bath.

Clearly you did not enter and more importantly exit via the Ashtown Roadabout gate. A mud path with no lighting, I would actually call it dangerous. It cant be that expensive to lay down some of those plastic pallet like things so people can walk in safety. As for trying to get a beer inside the gig, forget it. MCD got our cash and once that was in their pockets there were more than happy to skimp on everything possible. The organisation at the jacks inside was chaotic, I even saw a scrap kicking off and not much was done about it either, no security lads even directing people and when they did they were getting it arseways. For the guts of €80 I expect to get a lot better. Those wasters wont see a penny of my cash again.

karaokeman wrote: »
    so very pleased I came out.
    Congratulation man. It's a big step for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The 10pm bar curfew is a standard feature of this countries licensing laws regards outdoor events. Oxegen and Electric Picnic are subject to the same thing.

Toast wrote: »
    The 10pm bar curfew is a standard feature of this countries licensing laws regards outdoor events.

Would be handy if ya could get to the bar before 10 though. At least a 45 minute wait for everybody from 8pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Why bother your arse drinking at these gigs. Have a few before and a few after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Jesus, moan whinge moan...

I was there for the stone roses, not the bar situation or worrying about a bit of muck.

I thought it was a fantastic gig. Danced from start to finish. Can't get over how damn good reni was, wouldn't be the same without his groove. Feared for Ian's vocals like everyone else but he was great on the night, bar made of stone but that's to be expected at this stage.

Can't wait for the new album. Will be epic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Unmitigated ****ing disaster.
    I slated the organisation of croker for the chili's but this made that look like Disney land.
    Couldn't get to toilets.
    Couldn't get a pint
    Not well lit
    Sound deplorable
    Hard to get home from .
    Not a chance to make last bus/ train etc
    The walk from Phoenix park gate at heuston to the gig is ****ing biblical (especially in a crowd in the dark)

****ing scheisters

The country is a gutter
    We can do nothing right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I slated the organisation of croker for the chili's but this made that look like Disney land.
    Couldn't get to toilets.
    Couldn't get a pint
    Not well lit
    Sound deplorable
    Hard to get home from .
    The walk from Phoenix park gate at heuston to the gig is ****ing biblical (especially in a crowd in the dark)

****ing scheisters

The country is a gutter
    We can do nothing right
    he he. Amazing how delicate some people are! How the **** could you not get to the toilets? There were plenty of them and they were well signposted! I went twice. Didn't think it was much an achievement at the time but reading your post it seems I should be well proud of myself.

I also went to the bar three times and managed it without breaking into an angry fit. Actually thought the queues were pretty decent considering the amount of people at it. Have to admit that throughout the entire evening I didn't think to myself "Yeah, this is great but the lighting is a bit too dark for me"

Seriously handsome, take a long hard look at yourself. Tonight was a great gig that was there to be enjoyed. Your quibbles are minor and make you sound like a bit of a delicate flower. If this country is in the gutter as you say it is, I would wager the reason for that is because we have become PANSIES! Anyway, sleep tight sweet prince.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Pighead wrote: »
    Couldn't get to toilets.
    Couldn't get a pint
    Not well lit
    Sound deplorable
    Hard to get home from .

****ing scheisters

The country is a gutter
    We can do nothing right
    he he. Amazing how delicate some people are! How the **** could you not get to the toilets? There were plenty of them and they were well signposted! I went twice. Didn't think it was much an achievement at the time but reading your post it seems I should be well proud of myself.

I also went to the bar three times and managed it without breaking into an angry fit. Actually thought the queues were pretty decent considering the amount of people at it. Have to admit that throughout the entire evening I didn't think to myself "Yeah, this is great but the lighting is a bit too dark for me"

Seriously handsome, take a long hard look at yourself. Tonight was a great gig that was there to be enjoyed. Your quibbles are minor and make you sound like a bit of a delicate flower. If this country is in the gutter as you say it is, I would wager the reason for that is because we have become PANSIES! Anyway, sleep tight sweet prince.
    Im used to a high standard from foreign events/gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Magical gig and everything i wished for over the past 17 years

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

What an amazing way to spend a Thursday evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I thought it was class. I was in the pit and it sounded great (apart from a few dodgy chords at the start of 'I Wanna Be Adored')

Ian was decent enough on the vocals, not great but good enough to get by. But John Squire sounded amazing. It was a privilege to get a good look at him in action.

I have waited the guts of 20 years to see them, and they delivered in spades. Great Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Top notch gig, Reni and Squire were amazing in particular.

The Farm and Mick Jones with guests (including Shane McGowan, lol) were great fun.

Seeing the Wailers is as close to seeing Bob Marley nowadays, they were super.

A wonderful time was had.

Had no problems with the organisation of the gigs. Gardaí were there to direct us to the car park, only problem was they were slow to open up the exit gate all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Gig was fantastic. All the bands were top notch. Getting home was such a disaster though. 2 hours before I could get a taxi! :O

Will post a proper review tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ElephantStone

Cracking gig, loved it all except for the poxy heavy handed security team. Anybody know what company it was ? A bunch of thugs practically battered me and my mate for being close to a flare and being in the way.
    Still got to see the Stone Roses, I thought the sound was great too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Brilliant gig childhood dream fulfilled.
    The set was great cant believe we got to hear ALL of the first album! They're what music is all about.

Plenty of gripes about the state the park has been left in due to the lack of bins provided, regardless though it's a real shame so many people are happy to just throw empty bottles/cans and any other rubbish anywhere they feel like it. And people p***ing literally in the middle of the crowd on the way out, I mean ffs I don't care how drunk you are at least go to the nearest tree!

One of the signs directed people to taxis in the chapelizod direction but this was incorrect so lots of people ended up walking off into the darkness until they eventually reached the road and got the bus which was unable to go down parkgate st because the gardai simply couldn't cope with the amount of people and traffic in the area at the park entrance outside the criminal courts which led to traffic chaos. It was bedlam.

God knows how they'll get by if it starts to rain again before the next gig. Just glad I wore my wellies!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,623 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Band brilliant, weather perfect.

Organising a ****ing disaster. Who in there right mind thought it was a good idea to have the entrance to the bar area 2 Meters wide!!! A child knows that end up with linear queues miles long. Queues for 45 mins during the wailers to get to the bar.

Stupid!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I loved every fcuking minute. Best band and crowd EVER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

telekon wrote: »
    Jesus, moan whinge moan...

I was there for the stone roses, not the bar situation or worrying about a bit of muck.

I thought it was a fantastic gig. Danced from start to finish. Can't get over how damn good reni was, wouldn't be the same without his groove. Feared for Ian's vocals like everyone else but he was great on the night, bar made of stone but that's to be expected at this stage.

Can't wait for the new album. Will be epic!
    This sums it up for me :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement