Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Gig was great, got shake hands with iano a few times too, genuine lad! Sound was great for me, obviously depends where ya stand, no pa system is that perfect! Would love to catch em again, their nothing but craic!

Fan-fcuking-tastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Great night.Don't know what all the moaning is about.Got back to Limerick for 2am. Missed the minutes, but all other bands were great.In the pit, no bother getting drinks or disposng of same. Runners are muddy, not exactly a shock. Roses were brilliant. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Gig was great, got shake hands with iano a few times too, genuine lad! Sound was great for me, obviously depends where ya stand, no pa system is that perfect! Would love to catch em again, their nothing but craic!
    I think I got unlucky where I stood. I normally make for the sound desk but I was surrounded by people chatting all through the gig. Set list was pretty much the exact same as the 30th at Heaton Park, but if people think this was badly organised then they couldn't have gotten through Heaton Park. That was shambolic. Toilets were spot on tonight and went to the bar twice and both times got through ok. Only complaint was some of the crowd really. Band were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Any of yiz in the globe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Great night.Don't know what all the moaning is about.Got back to Limerick for 2am. Missed the minutes, but all other bands were great.In the pit, no bother getting drinks or disposng of same. Runners are muddy, not exactly a shock. Roses were brilliant. Really enjoyed it.

Fair play to ya, I live just outside Dublin city center, about 10 minutes drive from O'Connell St, I went straight home after the gig, didn't get back till 1:20

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I wish I had of went to this.

So you are recommending wellies for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

DEFINITELY

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

Walked 6.5 km before I got a taxi on the way home - really bad venue for a gig it must be said.

Crowd were 75% completely disinterested muppets, I actually had to move right up the front just to hear the band properly, people were just talking ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Getting really sick of Irish "big gig" crowds.

Band were absolutely brilliant. Gig really picked up at about the halfway mark.
    Fools Gold and the extended jam was one of the greatest things I've ever seen - 15 mins of sheer joy and virtuosity. Squire in particular was ON FIRE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

CiaranK wrote: »
    A2LUE42 wrote: »

Fair play to ya, I live just outside Dublin city center, about 10 minutes drive from O'Connell St, I went straight home after the gig, didn't get back till 1:20

Parked at Phoneix park train station, so really close by. A lot of cars clamped there with 3 vans of clampers. Thanks to whoever on here suggested parking there, worked out grand. just had to ring parkmagic and pay them €4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Roses were unbelievable..Top performance,runners in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

What a mood setter this was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Walked 6.5 km before I got a taxi on the way home - really bad venue for a gig it must be said.

Crowd were 75% completely disinterested muppets, I actually had to move right up the front just to hear the band properly, people were just talking ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Getting really sick of Irish "big gig" crowds.

Band were absolutely brilliant. Gig really picked up at about the halfway mark.
    Fools Gold and the extended jam was one of the greatest things I've ever seen - 15 mins of sheer joy and virtuosity. Squire in particular was ON FIRE!

Man, how can you even analyse a huge crowd like that and be able to make that statement. Can't say I noticed much chatter myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Don't know, I didn't see the need for them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Good gig but ians vocals were shocking but expected. Surprised nobody has said it yet. If it was liam gallagher he would be slaughterd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

risteard7 wrote: »
    Good gig but ians vocals were shocking but expected. Surprised nobody has said it yet. If it was liam gallagher he would be slaughterd.
    No way. He sounded way better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No way. He sounded way better than expected.

I was amazed how good the vocals were. He was in tune for 90% of it, pitch perfect, and also sounded just like he did on the records. Previously, solo-live, his voice was deeper and he just sort of spoke the lyrics in a monotone. Last night, he had dynamics in his voice and only really lost it during Don't Stop, where I believe he couldn't hear himself, as he walked off to the sound desk after, and then was fine for the next song.

Ridiculous thing about the venue was insisting everyone exit at the back - we were close to the barrier and with about 100 other people more or less pushed through one of the side exits - which they were refusing to open - but they couldn't do anything about it. Revolution! :-) Ended up coming out at the Ashtown Gate, where I had gone in, ahead of most of the crowd.

Within 5 minutes I was in a taxi and on the way home. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Had to walk for a bit to the concert (on my feet like). Then there was then a queue to buy beer that they charged money for. On the way in a guy bumped into me and it was muddy. Some people were clearly drunk.

Then I get there and there are no cushioned seats and loud music. At one point I saw a guy and girl smoking what looked like a joint. I am used to foreign festivals where everything is better and you are carried into the concert by Mexicans in saddles and pampered all day with free beer on tap and constant sunshine. MCD are the devil. Everything in Ireland is rubbish. Last time I leave my mammy I tell you. Couldnt wait to get home to post my disdain on here and am biding my time until Joe Duffy's hotline opens tomorrow.

Oh and queue for a toilet? I don't have to do that at home in my Mam and Dad's so why should I do it at a gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Fantastic gig!
    the sound was great
    I even managed to blag my way into the pit after the wailers finished:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Seriously what the he'll is the problem with people. Brown I thought especially for him sang really well. A lot better than expected which was a nice surprise. The toilets were very well signposted and there was plenty of them. There was a que for the bar. I don't get people giving out about this. Of course there'll be a ****in que for the bar. If you don't like it drink before the gig like I did. and yes it was muddy but it's an outdoor venue and we livein ireland for Christ sake!! I'd say the concert goers for the rest of the weekend should definitely get wells or boots though if we have any mor rain.
    So in summary there seems to be a lot of complaining about nothing, jaysus we love a good moan.
    The Stone Roses were epic. Delighted I went. Oh Wailers were great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Great gig, the band were terrific. A shame the organisation didn't quite match them. You'd think at this stage, promoters etc. would have a good idea what demand is goin to be like for alcoholic refreshments. Queues were a farce.

Was fairly near the back and the sound was grreat. Certainly realised just how much Mani brings to the whole thing, he really drives the sound. Not sure what gig those who are saying that Brown wsa in tune were at (maybe his vocals were drowned out by crowd singing closer to the stage?) but he was a bit of a foghorn where I was. Still, it's all part of the charm. Great songs, great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Im no MCD fan (I moaned like a whoore after slane) but I thought last night was ok organisation wise.

1. MUD - Anyone who looked out the window for the past month would have known it was going to be muddy, cant blame them for that. They had warnings in the paper all week. wore my wellies, not a problem.

2. The walk - yes it was painful but everyone knows the park is absolutlely huge - it was well publicised before hand that the concert site was up towards the castleknock end.

3. Bar queues - shock horror Irish people drink a lot. I thought the "disneyland" style queueing of up and down worked very well. meant you were inside barriers much ealier than a regular long queue, once in people couldnt skip or that. took em 20 mins. also no 2 drinks per person rubbish, we got 4 each on a tray.

4. toilets....I walked straight up no queue?

Think people need to prepare that tiny bit more before going to these things. 5 minutes online would have got you all the info about weather/mud/location of the gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

[/Quote=sarabroderick;79586660]Had to walk for a bit to the concert (on my feet like). Then there was then a queue to buy beer that they charged money for. On the way in a guy bumped into me and it was muddy. Some people were clearly drunk.[/quote]

1/10 for imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

Thought gig was brilliant. Whole event looked great in a typical Irish summer night sky. Left the bar alone after 9 as queues did get a bit ridiculous.
    Thought sound was excellent though... Lucky enough to live close by but can understand some peoples frustrations with location and trying to catch rides home, parkgate st was a joke afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

!

+1

Impossible to enjoy the music unless you were near the front. Even then there was a lot of messing, talking, photo-taking. Not against people enjoying themselves, but you'd nearly herd them into some playground somewhere and let them do it there. Some people paid the money to actually hear the Stone Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Excellent gig, the sound was very poor until fools gold, at which point Ian Brown seemed to have a well deserved hissy fit at the sound guys, afterwards it was much better.

About the organisation; of course its going to be muddy and there are going to be queues for the drink, that's obvious; it still doesn't take away from the fact that it wasn't particularly well organised. For example, I went to the the pixies there a few years ago, and afterwards there were proper walkways towards the exits, every exit was open ( not just two) and the main parts of the park were properly light with temporary lighting.

Last night for example, I had to help a few people who wandered down towards Farmleigh in the dark with no idea where they were going; last time around this route was lit and had stewards on it, and it eased the crowds at the castleknock gate.

So the organisation was less good than previous gigs in the park. A couple of temporary walkways around the exits would have made a huge difference. MCD being cheap again I supppose. If it rains today, tomorrow nigh is going to be messy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

I thought the start was pretty ropey, the sound was off and they seemed very nervous, especially John Squire who's playing on the first two tracks was pretty fumbled.

Didn't bother with getting a drink as I knew the queues would be mad, plus I don't drink Heineken. I did get my pink t shirt though! :-)

We got out easily enough once they opened the top barriers and we were right out on Ashtown Gate and got a taxi, we could see the crowds walking up. There was no way I wanted to walk down through the crowd.

As for the set, I think it was a little too boring in the middle; it got great at the end but for parts of it was a bit bored. Singing was good, Reni was a bit weak in places (it was like he was trying to stay in time) and I couldn't really hear bass for most of it, until the end.

The end was great though, Fool's Gold was great as was Ressurection. Would've liked more tracks of Second Coming but there you go. Ten Storey Love Song was pretty bad, and Bye Bye Badman was awful, they were all over the place. Waterfall started good but the vocals got bad. But on things like Shoot You Down he sounded just like on the record.

Very muddy. Glad I wore wellies in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

+1

Impossible to enjoy the music unless you were near the front. Even then there was a lot of messing, talking, photo-taking. Not against people enjoying themselves, but you'd nearly herd them into some playground somewhere and let them do it there. Some people paid the money to actually hear the Stone Roses.

a couple behind us spent the whole time chatting each other up and got seriously annoyed at some guy who bumped into them accidentally while dancing. So he mooned them :D

At one point she asked him if the stone roses were the ones who played "that Loaded song" and he said he thought they would probably do it in the encore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was back in line with the front of the sound engineers stage, about 30m to the right and the sound was absolutely perfect. Don't understand the Ians voice complaints, I thought it was good.
    Yes it was muddy, we all knew that and saw the photos and were warned. I wore waterproof hiking boots, so no problems there.
    As for walking home, sure what did you expect? A line of taxis outside the venue? You knew where your bus was leaving from before the gig!
    Never walked through the phoenix park before, jesus, thought it was never going to end! Moved fast though, so no problems there.
    I'd have no problems going to a gig there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

I don't have to do that at home in my Mam and Dad's so why should I do it at a gig?

Band and gig brilliant, organisation awful. There is nothing wrong with expecting better when spending a nice lump of cash. I've been to gigs all over Europe and MCD are in a special category of their own. If you like to be treated like a moron then good for you. Sneering at people that were not impressed by the organisation and logistics only helps MCD and encourages them to continue their messing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement