Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

First world problems,eh?)
    Really enjoyed the gig.I saw them in Féile 95,sans Reni,but I thought this was better.Would've liked 'Tightrope' 'Your star will shine' and 'Breaking into heaven',but ya can't have everything.Viva Stone Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bigpoppa wrote: »
    Why don't you get off your ****ing arse and bring in some international stars then and show us how it is done?
    This is a poor suggestion, it is not their profession. It would be like me saying the sound from my current mp3 player is crap compared to the last 5 I owned, and being told to "go make my own mp3 player", its not my skill/profession but I know it can, and is, done better.

People were saying mud is not MCD's fault, and somebody said they should have researched the venue. This a valid point, but in fairness it was probably the wettest june & july in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

rubadub wrote: »
    This is a poor suggestion, it is not their profession. It would be like me saying the sound from my current mp3 player is crap compared to the last 5 I owned, and being told to "go make my own mp3 player", its not my skill/profession but I know it can, and is, done better.

People were saying mud is not MCD's fault, and somebody said they should have researched the venue. This a valid point, but in fairness it was probably the wettest june & july in decades.

The gig was booked months ago. The organisation was fine last night, much better than Heaton Park. People expect too much from these things, expecting to be led there by the nose and led out by the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Savman wrote: »
    I don't believe the Public Transport companies should get off the hook either, ever since Dublin Bus pulled all midweek Nitelinks to cut costs.

What did the Public Transport companies do wrong?

Are you saying that for 1 gig in Dublin they should have re-introduced mid-week Nitelink services that were haemorraging money when there's a gazillion taxis operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

rubadub wrote: »
    They could've put down more of the white "pitch" covering. Or more straw or more (bigger sized) stone. Wet doesn't have to mean mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

clubcrown wrote: »
    Think you're missing the point - the music was great - the organisation was poor in comparison to how gigs are run elsewhere. I've been at a few gigs of this scale in the US and in various EU countries, and they seem to manage all of these things with ease. Proper exits, proper beer, proper security, proper lighting.

Why can't we run outdoor gigs properly in Ireland? Its not about being inconvenienced, its more that if every other country can do things properly, why can't we?

If you're happy to pay for crap service, you'll always get crap service.

Dead right, concert tickets are still disgracefully expensive in this country, people have a right to expect properly provided facilities for their money as well as a decent show. For a couple to go last night it was probably an average 20% of the typical weeks income these days. Promoters should not be allowed to take the piss out of that kind of commitment, which they continuously do. If you do concerts badly in many other countries, you get a riot, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Anyone else sitting in work slightly hungover wishing it was on tonight again? :(

On the plus side I still cant believe I got to see the Stone Roses. Never thought it'd happen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

bigpoppa wrote: »
    this also happens in pubs at Xmas time for example

You dont have to wait for an hour for a pint at Christmas, and if you do than you leave and head to another bar. The problem in Ireland is that there are effectively 2 promoters running the large gigs and one of these promoters treats their customers like dirt. Some people like to have a beer at a gig and some of us even consider it part of the overall experience. I have no problem waiting for 10 or 15 mins to get a few drinks as it is a busy place, however 1 hour is just a pain in the ass. We should be allowed bring our own in.

FYI, I thought the gig was great, the band were top class. Myself and many others would just expect a lot better from the organisation when paying over €160 quid for 2 tickets. Money does not grow on trees these days. All in all, its just typical of Ireland, a half arsed job done when there is an opportunity to do things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

Cant believe the moaners on here..It was THE STONE ROSES ffs..I would have gone to Chernobyl for the chance to see them...

People complaing about Mud..In Ireland! Ive heard it all now....Probably the same people who complain about the heat on the rare occasions we get sun over here...Why dont you just go and see Michael Buble in the O2 in future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

+1

Impossible to enjoy the music unless you were near the front. Even then there was a lot of messing, talking, photo-taking. Not against people enjoying themselves, but you'd nearly herd them into some playground somewhere and let them do it there. Some people paid the money to actually hear the Stone Roses.

Here's Econoline Van and his mates at a gig. :pac:

i-robot-2004-42-g1.jpg

Brilliant gig. Sound got better half way through, but it sounded better in certain areas. Can't believe people are complaining about mud! It wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I thought MCD could've at least paid for a few lights around the park for people walking but I never expect anything but the bare minimum from them. Slane is always dangerously poorly organised. Always always always. Just pure greed.

Also, anyone experience the "taxi rank" mess after in the park? There was a taxi run organised for them to come in from Chapelizod, do a loop and pick up people. It lasted 5 minutes and then went tits up. People were then directed in any old direction out of the park. Pitch black into the woods sort of stuff. I met a couple of 17 year old girls who were totally lost and a bit scared.

The communication between staff and Gardai was a hilarious embarrassment. The signs were interesting too before and after the gig - pointing in wrong directions etc. Laughable. And it looks like MCD didnt pay any Gardai overtime as there was only the legal requirement of Gardai about after.

We couldn't teach a monkey to eat bananas in this city. Embarrassing really to people from other countries. We're a bit of a joke. Wasn't even a big gig!

G.MAN wrote: »
    Cant believe the moaners on here..It was THE STONE ROSES ffs..I would have gone to Chernobyl for the chance to see them...

See you're part of the problem with that attitude. Are you a one-gig-a-decade person? Spend tens of thousands with MCD on tickets and see if your attitude changes. You accepting being treated like a whore means they'll just do it again.

Can't believe people don't strive for better in this country when it comes to events. We're way behind the rest of the world when it comes to this sort of thing.

People moaning about the mud - its Ireland! And it wasn't that bad.

Also no sympathy for people complaining about the beer. Beer is piss is general. Should've loaded up before/smuggled in a hipflask.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think some folk would have been better off getting their butler to book tickets or the Opera before being driven there in a carriage pulled by unicorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Think some folk would have been better off getting their butler to book tickets or the Opera before being driven there in a carriage pulled by unicorns.

Don't be stupid. My butler can't use the internet. And unicorns aren't strong enough to pull a carriage anyway.

Main issue is MCD, who continually leave a sour taste in the mouth after big gigs. Its not like the tickets were 30 quid either.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Even then there was a lot of messing, talking, photo-taking.

I am sorry but that is classic...shhhhhh will you I am trying to hear the music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

What did the Public Transport companies do wrong?

Are you saying that for 1 gig in Dublin they should have re-introduced mid-week Nitelink services that were haemorraging money when there's a gazillion taxis operating?

No, of course they shouldn't run for one gig (or should they?) - my comment was more about the breakdown in planning large scale events on this island, Dublin moreso. We are the capital city ffs, we want to attract the big names to perform here and keep us on the international circuit, it's simply not good enough that Taxi's are the sole option post 11.30pm. So MCD, Dublin Bus, Irish Rail and the lot of them need to come up with a far better solution. Each concert brings how much in revenue to the City? So there is economic benefit right across the board. €9 rtn for a private coach from Tara Street is not a viable solution either.

I went to Montreux Jazz Festival before (fnar fnar) and the Swiss authorities run trains all night on an hourly basis, even during the week. It benefits nobody having that many people wandering around aimlessly in the early hours of the morning so those responsible come up with a solution. That's why Montreux is into it's 46th consecutive year, that's how successful events are run. If we carry on at this rate the number of high profile concerts will dwindle over time, the infrastructure has to support a 22k exodus of the Phoenix Park/Marlay Park/wherever and do it efficiently. That is/was the only point I was making and our collective, continued tolerance of MCD's 'couldn't give a rats' stance will not change a thing.

Sprained my ankle fairly badly walking out last night. Feckin thing is the size of melon, crutches, no driving, and lots of physio.

But it was worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Anyone complaining about mud was obviously not at Oxegen a few years ago. That was nothing last night!

Ha Ha..tens of Thousands??? Really? You fool
    I encountered no issues yesterday.I was prepared for mud so it wasnt a problem. I have learned that it is pointless buying beer at gigs, Had a few drinks before hand outside the venue. Wandered in around 8.30pm. Got good position on the white mat type surface just behind the pit. Great view,sound was good from where I was stood.
    Took 20 minutes to exit the park, we had parked the Car in Ashtown and I was home by midnight.
    Im not going to complain if I have nothing to complain about but please carry on yourself...Im sure you have nothing better to do today anyway..Ill keep an ear out for you on Liveline later on

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Yet another MCD fiasco. A 45mins walk from the concert to the park exit along a mostly unlit road no less. Who on earth signs off on these things?

On a week night they know the last public transport out of the city is 11.30pm, meaning you pretty much have to leave the gig early or you are forking out a huge taxi fare. Idiotic planning. They seemed to have learned nothing from the Oasis in Slane situation a few years back.

Forgiving the fact that the concert site was like a mucky farm, you have the wonderful array of drinks on offer: Wine, Water or Heineken. Oh and if you can deal with huge Q's, bear in mind the bar closes 10pm on the dot. I wish I was joking.

I enjoyed some of the Roses tunes, Fool's Gold in particular, but Ian Brown was very tough on the ears and the sound was very jumpy all night long.

I'd give the Roses the benefit of the doubt and would check them out again maybe indoors, but MCD can take a long walk off a short cliff.

^^^^Couldn't agree more. Phoenix park is a disaster of a venue. Soo badly organised, walking for miles etc. Enjoyed
    The Roses but wont be going back to a gig there anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭thomasj

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Yet another MCD fiasco. A 45mins walk from the concert to the park exit along a mostly unlit road no less. Who on earth signs off on these things?

On a week night they know the last public transport out of the city is 11.30pm, meaning you pretty much have to leave the gig early or you are forking out a huge taxi fare. Idiotic planning. They seemed to have learned nothing from the Oasis in Slane situation a few years back.

Forgiving the fact that the concert site was like a mucky farm, you have the wonderful array of drinks on offer: Wine, Water or Heineken. Oh and if you can deal with huge Q's, bear in mind the bar closes 10pm on the dot. I wish I was joking.

I enjoyed some of the Roses tunes, Fool's Gold in particular, but Ian Brown was very tough on the ears and the sound was very jumpy all night long.

I'd give the Roses the benefit of the doubt and would check them out again maybe indoors, but MCD can take a long walk off a short cliff.

^^^^Couldn't agree more. Phoenix park is a disaster of a venue. Soo badly organised, walking for miles etc. Enjoyed
    The Roses but wont be going back to a gig there anytime soon.

I was out in ashtown in 15 or so minutes no hassle.

I guess everybody has their own positive or negative experiences of the day. Mine was all positive. Im by no means an MCD fan but I aint going to make stuff up just for the sake of it...My experience was that it was a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Sprained my ankle fairly badly walking out last night. Feckin thing is the size of melon, crutches, no driving, and lots of physio.

But it was worth it :D

Was it related to a bad choice of footwear?
    Seem to recall you were part of the Welly-gate discussions on the thread :p

Just kidding - hope it's not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its pretty clear people's experiences depended on how much time and how prepared they were

If you had all day to get mellow and merry before strollin up in the sunshine, it wont have mattered much what the facilites were like. If you had to break your bollox gettin home from work and gettin back in to the concert on the 3rd world transport provision then you would be mighty pissed off that you scarcely had time to get food and a few beers before the show started. Im the latter and I wont be told not to be pissed off at that by the festival going type amongst you.

The show was really good, the playing made up for the iffy vocals, the atmosphere was merry and people were smiling

The organisation was a shambolic let down, access, beers, transport, toilets, the state of the ground, rubbish disposal, people wandering through the pitch dark Park like zombies after all the plans went tits up. MCD had peoples money in the bank and after that didnt give a f*ck - again. Id say the Park must look like Calcutta dump today. And I wont be told not to be pissed off at that either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The problem last night was idiots willing to queue for an hour to spend a fiver on a pint of píss. Easily the best gig I've been to in my 12 years of gig going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

suppose the way I see it is that it wasnt AS bad as the norm for outdoor concerts in this country.

Not complete disaster, but not great either-sad state of affairs when Im willing to accept it giving the shambles of other gigs.

Meh i had a great time!

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Was it related to a bad choice of footwear?
    Seem to recall you were part of the Welly-gate discussions on the thread :p

Just kidding - hope it's not too bad!

I actually wore ugg boots :o
    Worst thing I could have worn, just knew they'd be comfy and I didn't mind them getting wrecked. Shudda worn the wellies!!

Though walking to college green after falling wasn't my brightest move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

People complaining about the sound - did you not try moving around to see if you could find a better spot?

Outdoor gigs are notorious for having black spots where the sound doesn't sound right. It was fine where I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Skid wrote: »
    People complaining about the sound - did you not try moving around to see if you could find a better spot?

Outdoor gigs are notorious for having black spots where the sound doesn't sound right. It was fine where I was.

The sound was poor for the first 2 tunes but that was more to do with the engineers having to change things as the crowd would have effected the work done at the sound check. As the gig progressed the sound was brilliant no matter where you were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement