Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Skid wrote: »
    People complaining about the sound - did you not try moving around to see if you could find a better spot?

Outdoor gigs are notorious for having black spots where the sound doesn't sound right. It was fine where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

G.MAN wrote: »
    People complaing about Mud..In Ireland! Ive heard it all now....Probably the same people who complain about the heat on the rare occasions we get sun over here...Why dont you just go and see Michael Buble in the O2 in future
    Didn't you hear, the sound was crap at that gig

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Didn't go to the gig but delighted we're able to talk about MCD - an excellent professional concert promoter that always provides value for money !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

On Liveline now.

Jaysus, some lad reckons the behavior makes him ashamed to be Irish, sounds like he was beside somebody smoking a spliff. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Im listening now, the guy seems like an absolute softcock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Jaysus, some lad reckons the behavior makes him ashamed to be Irish, sounds like he was beside somebody smoking a spliff. LOL.

Some people are very fragile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

What were they calling liveline about in relation to the gig?

panama wrote: »

Some lad reckoned there was a very sinister element there. He was saying there was drug use going on. I think the whiff of a joint somebody was smoking scared him. The lad must have led a very sheltered life. If he was around in the pubs and clubs when The Stone Roses were in their prime it was pretty hard to avoid a bit of weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Complaining about them not playing Breaking into Heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Complaining about them not playing Breaking into Heaven.

Dammit, I was gonna complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Melion wrote: »
    The problem last night was idiots willing to queue for an hour to spend a fiver on a pint of píss. Easily the best gig I've been to in my 12 years of gig going

Youre really not f****n listenin, are you? Many of the people there didnt have time to drink beforehand trying to just get there after work, and many others had to give up drink at the gates, so what would you suggest after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Youre really not f****n listenin, are you? Many of the people there didnt have time to drink beforehand trying to just get there after work, and many others had to give up drink at the gates, so what would you suggest after that?

Dont drink and enjoy the music instead. Sure platic glasses heineken is muck anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its pretty clear people's experiences depended on how much time and how prepared they were

If you had all day to get mellow and merry before strollin up in the sunshine, it wont have mattered much what the facilites were like. If you had to break your bollox gettin home from work and gettin back in to the concert on the 3rd world transport provision then you would be mighty pissed off that you scarcely had time to get food and a few beers before the show started. Im the latter and I wont be told not to be pissed off at that by the festival going type amongst you.

The show was really good, the playing made up for the iffy vocals, the atmosphere was merry and people were smiling

The organisation was a shambolic let down, access, beers, transport, toilets, the state of the ground, rubbish disposal, people wandering through the pitch dark Park like zombies after all the plans went tits up. MCD had peoples money in the bank and after that didnt give a f*ck - again. Id say the Park must look like Calcutta dump today. And I wont be told not to be pissed off at that either

So the fact that you had to go to work is MCD's problem? The fact that you couldn't go straight to the gig and had to go home beforehand is MCD's problem?

It says you're in D15 what was the problem in getting a train or 39 to the navan road and walking in from there via the ashtown gate? Lots of people on here saying they got there in 15 minutes, why couldn't you?

Or was it down to a lack of planning on your part?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

G.MAN wrote: »
    Cant believe the moaners on here..It was THE STONE ROSES ffs..I would have gone to Chernobyl for the chance to see them...

Aye, true, but you shouldn't have to expect Chernobyl in Dublin 8. Not when its avoidable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

This might be a bit drawn out so bear with me :)

Well that was some gig.

I arrived at about 5:20 and expected not to get a pit pass, luckily for me the place was nearly empty at that stage. My guess was people not clocked off from work in time to get in uber early. I went to the bar and toilet before going to get a spot. Couldn't get into the pit with drink so I had to drink my €5 pint of stale Heineken outside the pit. Watched the end of the Minutes set, I thought they were very strong and the sound was very good, Even from the entrance at the back. Finished the pint and ventured into the pit, it was empty. Only about 2 rows filled at the barrier. I met some folks I knew and had a chat for a bit. Then just before Mick Jones came on I got a spot at the back of the pit against the barrier. It was still very close to the band, the pit wasn't huge. The Justice band were great. John Robb was mental singing Casbah. A really fun set. I thought Shane MacGowan was an old woman when he first staggered on stage before attempting to sing a song. All Together Now was great with Shane reappearing to scream, they had to turn his mic off :P He went on to pour a bottle of beer over himself and Peter Hooton. A very good set by a group of legends.

Wailers were next, blasting us with some quality reggae music. Played all the songs you wanted to hear. One Love, Three Little Birds, Get Up Stand Up, No Woman No Cry etc. Sound was really good still. The band were on fire. They really got the crowd going singing and dancing. When they finished there was a short wait until the main attraction. It was nearly here!!

The Supremes blast out over the pa, this was it, it was happening. The Stone Roses were about to take the stage. I caught a glimpse of Reni side stage, I couldn't believe it. They walk out and take position. Bass kicks in. I Wanna Be Adored. Pit going nuts, all singing every word. Mersey Paradise, Sugar Spun Sister, Sally Cinnamon... They just kept coming. Every song was fantastic. Brown's vocals were in tune almost the whole time, and when they weren't who cared. But it was definitely better than I expected, much better than some youtube videos I'd seen from the past few gigs. And the band, what can I say, they were on fire. Mani's pumping bassline, Reni beating his kit to death and John Squire knocking pieces out of his strat during fools gold was one of the best things I've seen. Waterfall got the biggest cheer I think. I actually thought, unlike some folks, the rapping during Love Spreads was really cool. I didn't listen to it before the gig myself, I wanted to wait and see it live. The light show when it got dark was fantastic. The lasers going over our heads, it really added to the overall atmosphere. Ian talks about Elizabeth and then launches into She Bangs the Drums, Then realises it was the wrong spot and does it again for Elizabeth My Dear. Then Resurrection, it was all over too soon. Again the band knocking sparks out of their instruments. The stand together arms aloft. It was a wonderful sight. Ian declaring that 'Ireland really are the best' and 'We will return'.

One downside to the gig was the site itself. I thought the toilets were very good, plenty of them. I only went to the bar once but heard later on that it got crazy. The field, apart from the pit and just outside it where it was covered, was a mudbath. With more rain to come and gigs on Saturday and Sunday I don't know what way it will look (Wellies definitely required). It was a state when I was leaving. And it took me 2 hours of walking before I got a taxi! But it was worth it, I'd walk it again if they were to play even one more song!

Overall a fantastic event :)

I got a HD video, I will have a look at the photos and if there is any decent ones I'll bang them up later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX0f1Ds70Sk

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Think some folk would have been better off getting their butler to book tickets or the Opera before being driven there in a carriage pulled by unicorns.

I think people are complaining about MCD. Which is very a very valid complaint.

Regardless of whether of not anything bothered you, why should you and other irish gig goers get a ****tier experience, having paid more money for their tickets, than gig goers in other countries experience?

I'm confused as to why people are saying things like the above tbh, its a perfectly valid complaint to make. What is wrong with wanting competence from somebody you are paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

why are people moaning about this and that and not talking about the gig and how brilliant the stone roses were, are and always will be ?
    Oh yeah... forgot i was on boards for a second.

What were peoples favorite song (s) / moments of the night ?

Standing Here followed by Fools Gold, pure psychedelic pop bliss

Anyway, setlist

I Wanna Be Adored
    Mersey Paradise
    (Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister
    Sally Cinnamon
    Where Angels Play
    Bye Bye Badman
    Shoot You Down
    Ten Storey Love Song
    Standing Here
    Fools Gold
    Something’s Burning
    Waterfall
    Don’t Stop
    Love Spreads
    Made Of Stone
    This Is the One
    She Bangs The Drums
    Elizabeth My Dear
    I Am The Resurrection

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chutney50

This is probably a stupid question but is there any contact for lost and found after the gig?

I lost my fleece in the pit (I know it's probably been trampled on by a thousand muddy feet but still).

Don't see anything obvious on the MCD website. Thanks:)

Great gig, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

Kiera wrote: »
    You sound like one contankerous aul fcuk tbh. I'm glad I wasn't near you or the fun police during the gig.

Not sure if this post was directly addressing me but as I agree with a lot of what that poster says I'll say this. There's a big difference in enjoying the music and the atmosphere, engaging in general rock'n'roll behaviour etc.
    ...and then there's what was going on beside me large groups of people standing with their back to the stage talking for the entire gig and taking photos of each other and bumping into everyone around them to get a better angle for their photo.

All I object to is that a lot of people seemed to be there to tag photo's of themselves at the gig - I'd say to them, do whatever you like but if the music has absolutely no bearing on you being there then don't bother going or at least don't ruin it for people who are interested in listening to the band.

• Advertisement

Sally Cinnamon & this is the one. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I think they should have dumped one of the less known songs for Tightrope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It was directed at the person I quoted.

People moaning about taking pictures? Seriously? This thread used to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Read a few post-gig posts, didn't bother to read everything, as i am a little bit groggy. But i just wanted to put in my two-cents.

I had a ticket to Spike Island years ago.. Never went, was unable to, due to unforeseen circumstances, and it was to late to sell my ticket, i still have it somewhere unused, and in a box hidden away. After that, i presumed i would see them again. Never did. :(

I swore to myself, if they ever reunited, i would be the first in line for a ticket.. I waited and waited, listened to rumours every few years or so.

In the midst of my waiting, i attended a few gigs "organised" by MCD. I promised myself i would never attend another MCD large/outdoor gig ever again, as long as i live.

(That is/was my decision, and i have my reasons)

Then the announcement for this gig happened. :eek::confused:

I figured, Eventually, after deliberating for a long time, that i would go, as i'd made the promise about the stone roses first..

After having attended Phoenix park a few years ago, at that disaster of a concert, (Pixies etc..), and adding in the fact that Ian Browns performances haven't been the best, coupled with the fact that The Stone Roses hadn't played together for years and MCD. I prepared myself for the worst.

I was very nicely surprised, to say the least. :D

It was still a shoddy MCD attempt at organising, but the gig itself was loved, every minute of it.

I thought they were amazing. A few bum notes, not many, and mostly towards the end, but that was and is part of live sets.

I was everywhere, up front, on the right, on the left, down the back. Sound was slightly better at some points, but i thought, good in general.

Can't believe MCD couldn't organise a few boards to lay down in their 2 mile zig-zag queue for the bar (the most trampled on piece of ground at the gig), but i only went there once, as 20,000 people queuing for the bar wasn't that much fun, i had already snuck in a bit of drink, i was keeping for later.

Overall, thought the performance was amazing. Loved it. That's one broken promise (And one kept) i'm glad i did.
    I won't break it again, unless MCD are taken over by someone who hasn't their finger rammed up their ass.

Anyway, that's pretty much all i have to say on the concert, if anyone read it, thanks.. :)

Anyone heard any rumours on any forthcoming release(s) by them?
    (I agree with the Sally Cinnamon comment) But i have heard, in comments in an online magazine (Couldn't find them), that they have been working on a song or two, individually. Although, they have been very busy organising their concerts, they wouldn't have a lot of time to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Had a great night band were excellent sound was great where I was stood just behind the pit ..... We're there many taxis at the Ashton exit

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

Not sure if this post was directly addressing me but as I agree with a lot of what that poster says I'll say this. There's a big difference in enjoying the music and the atmosphere, engaging in general rock'n'roll behaviour etc.
    ...and then there's what was going on beside me large groups of people standing with their back to the stage talking for the entire gig and taking photos of each other and bumping into everyone around them to get a better angle for their photo.

All I object to is that a lot of people seemed to be there to tag photo's of themselves at the gig - I'd say to them, do whatever you like but if the music has absolutely no bearing on you being there then don't bother going or at least don't ruin it for people who are interested in listening to the band.

Good point dude.

Overheard on the way in... Some young girl goes to her friend " i hope they play FEAR" hahahaha nearly fell over with the laughter, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SavageHenry

Loved the fact that everyone knew the words to every song and sang along for the whole gig, very memorable night. I might get tickets for the Belfast gig too.

I took the long walk into town as a bonus, gave me time to sober up and left me clearer in the head this morning for work.

Good times, Great crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Well personally i thought it only got good when it was getting dark, obviously adored was a great start but then the next 5/6 tunes were mediocre(in my opinion), then as it was getting dark it kicked off and was pretty great! This is the one was my favourite of the night but i like that song a lot!

Downsides: Muddy
    Bar - joke as per usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

one of the best gigs I've been to. Didn't expect them to be so frikkin tight and amazing musically. Even Iano was pretty good bar a few expected bum notes. Squire was immense. We were well back, a bit past the 2nd speakers, and the sound was spot on. Great seeing people spaced out dancing like loons:D Best 40 quid ever spent!

As for the venue, I knew it was gonna suck, but it sucked a bit more than expected. Got a taxi in as near as possible so gettin in was ok. The bar situation was ridiculous. Just a complete mudpit, surely somethin better coulda been done. Some areas were just not possible to be stood in. Saying that though when I wanted a beer I got a beer, some sound girl even sold me 2 pints for face value at twenty past ten, legend!

Leaving was a rush to get the last Luas, some feckin walk. In the dark too! Dire. Genuine question - why could this not have been staged at the Aviva???

Still, all said, just an amazing gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Spare a thought for the poor ****ers who have to go to the gigs at the weekend after last night and todays weather!!

Actually, scrap that. Lets all laugh hysterically at all of them.

Thats what you get for buying a ticket for Snow Patrol. You get punished by God.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement