Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Well you assume wrong, Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Det. McNulty

There was a bit of a row with the bouncers up at the far right of the stage after the gig. There was a big sign saying exit and everybody went there and there was no exit. Somebody threw a punch at the steward and it nearly kicked off rightly. They opened the fence after and let everybody out. Brilliant gig, the band are streets ahead of everybody else in that genre. Can't wait to hear the new stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Not sure if this post was directly addressing me but as I agree with a lot of what that poster says I'll say this. There's a big difference in enjoying the music and the atmosphere, engaging in general rock'n'roll behaviour etc.
    ...and then there's what was going on beside me large groups of people standing with their back to the stage talking for the entire gig and taking photos of each other and bumping into everyone around them to get a better angle for their photo.

All I object to is that a lot of people seemed to be there to tag photo's of themselves at the gig - I'd say to them, do whatever you like but if the music has absolutely no bearing on you being there then don't bother going or at least don't ruin it for people who are interested in listening to the band.

As I said, some kind of a playpen for them would be ideal. Soundproofed, preferably. At times it was like being at a party where someone had a Stone Roses CD on in the kitchen. :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Brilliant gig. Thought the band as a whole were excellent and Brown only had one or two shaky moments so was well impressed with him. Saw them back in Cork in 95 and he was disappointing plus they didnt have Reni and still thought they were excellent so last night was miles better. :D

Snap during Resurrection:
    2012-07-06022834.jpg

That is an absolutely PHENOMENAL photo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I thought the crowd were great! Everyone I saw were obviously there to enjoy the music, no knackers. Having a disaster carrying 4 beers back to my mates that I couldn't find and people were really helpful.
    Savage weather, rained all week except the day of the concert! Would hate to be going there tonight, raining all day.

As for the sad bastard that rang liveline and gave out about "drugs" almost everyone around me had a joint in their hand at one point. I was shocked, drugs at a rock concert? :eek:
    The police should call to that guys house and confiscate all his music

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The police should call to that guys house and confiscate all his music

Classic.

Feel a little sorry for the people that can't just go to a gig and have a great time. The record is perfect, listen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its pretty clear people's experiences depended on how much time and how prepared they were

If you had all day to get mellow and merry before strollin up in the sunshine, it wont have mattered much what the facilites were like. If you had to break your bollox gettin home from work and gettin back in to the concert on the 3rd world transport provision then you would be mighty pissed off that you scarcely had time to get food and a few beers before the show started. Im the latter and I wont be told not to be pissed off at that by the festival going type amongst you.
    I
    The show was really good, the playing made up for the iffy vocals, the atmosphere was merry and people were smiling

The organisation was a shambolic let down, access, beers, transport, toilets, the state of the ground, rubbish disposal, people wandering through the pitch dark Park like zombies after all the plans went tits up. MCD had peoples money in the bank and after that didnt give a f*ck - again. Id say the Park must look like Calcutta dump today. And I wont be told not to be pissed off at that either

I would bet your known as happy Larry by your mates !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ElephantStone

Anyone able to remind me what Ian Brown was saying before Elizabeth my Dear, can't remember it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Great night fullstop.No rain,what were the odds.
    Did anybody get to see the minutes,were they any good.
    Forgot to mention the Roses are playing at the T in the park
    tomorrow night and the beeb normally show coverage.

• Advertisement

Anyone able to remind me what Ian Brown was saying before Elizabeth my Dear, can't remember it all :D

He got his setlist wrong and said something like "this one's for Elizabeast.....who you all told to f**k off but we're still yet to do it".....he said that before the song before it....if you get me :)

Don't remember what he said before they actually played the tune, though I don't think it was too complimentary to her HRH.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Caught a good bit of the minutes, they were on when I arrived, They were very strong I thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

That throwing piss thing is an old wives tale, has anyone ever experienced it first hand, and are you sure it's not just the end of someone beer??

Can't picture anyone getting away with that

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Too big to embed here, Two photos attached

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

theparish wrote: »
    Great night fullstop.No rain,what were the odds.
    Did anybody get to see the minutes,were they any good.
    Forgot to mention the Roses are playing at the T in the park
    tomorrow night and the beeb normally show coverage.

By the looks of the TV listings for BBC3 tomorrow and Sunday they won't be showing the Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Great gig,great day.Had no issues with the bar or the toilets.Getting the pit pass was fantastic aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Teddin

I love the band but was not keen on heading to Dublin to see them in a muddy field but I was lucky enough to see them in Lyon instead and it was the gig of a lifetime.There was a great atmosphere in the amphitheatre and we got near the front of the stage but just far enough back not to be jostled etc..
    The impression I am getting from the Dublin gig and which would apply to many outdoor gigs is that if you are having a few drinks you tend to be more tolerant of the less enjoyable aspects of the experience but if you are standing in a field stone cold sober surrounded by people in varying degrees of drunkenness you are going to have a miserable time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Belfast is calling!! Any intrested in getting a big bus to head up for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Last night was absolutely amazing. I went with my sister and we got in at about 5:10, we were right at the very very front of the pit, perfectly placed. The gig was mental. John Robb came right down on top of us during Rock The Casbah and I ended up getting a photo with him afterwards. I had to keep jumping during the Roses to avoid being crushed! Without writing an account of the whole night, it was just amazing! During I Am The Resurrection, Ian came down and took my sister's camera! He recorded the band and himself and us, we couldn't believe it. His voice sounded grand to me, even if it wasn't perfect it didn't matter. Fools Gold was the standout, I never wanted it to end, I couldn't take my eyes off Reni during it. John Squire is absolutely breathtaking. Wonderful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

nm wrote: »
    That throwing piss thing is an old wives tale, has anyone ever experienced it first hand, and are you sure it's not just the end of someone beer??

Can't picture anyone getting away with that

Trust me, there was loads of that going on in Heaton Park last Saturday.

Last night, was epic, I grew up with that band, was 18 when the debut album came out and they changed my life, changed the way I dressed, grew my hair and so on. It can't be understated just how important a band they were (are?), you just don't see the level of devotion that was visible last night at any other gigs and it was the same in Manchester. Sound was a bit ify for Mersey Paradise but it got sorted quickly enough, they were really in the groove for the 2nd half of the show. She bangs the drums was incredible but Made of Stone last night was the highlight of the 2 gigs for me, absolutely incredible when the first chorus kicked in but the final chorus after the guitar solo was spinetingling, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking about it.

After party in Twisted Pepper was excellent as well, partied like it was 1989 and didn't get to bed till 8.30 this morning, feeling every year of my age today!! Worth it though, seriously tempted by Belfast in August.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Just back from the big smoke.

Wow! an amazing gig. We were in the pit and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Mother Nature is definitely a Roses fan too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Teddin wrote: »
    I love the band but was not keen on heading to Dublin to see them in a muddy field but I was lucky enough to see them in Lyon instead and it was the gig of a lifetime.There was a great atmosphere in the amphitheatre and we got near the front of the stage but just far enough back not to be jostled etc..
    The impression I am getting from the Dublin gig and which would apply to many outdoor gigs is that if you are having a few drinks you tend to be more tolerant of the less enjoyable aspects of the experience but if you are standing in a field stone cold sober surrounded by people in varying degrees of drunkenness you are going to have a miserable time..
    Don't know how you are getting that impression of the gig, as a lot of the people who seem to have really enjoyed it were quite sober, but had done a little planning and were more interested in the music than the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

One of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Work boots will need a bit of a cleaning, just left them out the rain today (see, it has it’s uses!). The missus dropped me and the brother in law off right outside the gig entrance and then came back for us after (what can I say, she loves me :)), only had to walk to the Castleknock gate, about 10 minutes. It was pretty dark and creepy alright, those gay cruisers are brave men! Was amazed to see she was the only car parked there(Garda wouldn’t let her go any further). Got home about 11:40, splendid :D
    Had the pleasure of seeing Ian a couple of times before, Mani when he played with The Stoned Roses tribute band and Squire with the Seahorses, but to see them all together again, all sounding so f*ckin good, with mates that I’d grown up listening to them with, has really reminded me why they are one of the greatest bands ever. Never thought I’d get to see Reni drum, there’s a decussion in the music thread about who the best ever drummer is. Well if he’s not the best, my God he’s the coolest. It’s him and Animal from the Muppets.
    Only thing that could have added to last night would have been to have Cressa there to really enhance the nostagia, hands up who remembers him?
    He’s in this video.

By the way, my sister reckons she passed Ian in the Morrison Hotel, Ormond Quay, presume they were staying there, anyone happen to be in there afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Thought the Gig was brilliant and the support acts were superb. Didn't have any of the issues with the organisation that other people seemed to have. There was a fantastic amosphere and everyone seemed in good form.

Thought toilet queue's were ok but just couldn't understand why tons of people were just pissing against the fences and some of the burger vans when loads of urinals were free :confused:.

Found it easy to get out of the Park - Ashtown gate, had a few beers and waited for crowd to die down and got taxi back into town.

I think the Phoenix Park is a good venue especially when compared to Marlay Park and Punchestown.

Its going to be a mudbath tonight though...:D

What beer was sold inside? What were the prices like? Are they strict on searching you while you go in?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BaZmO* wrote: »

By the looks of the TV listings for BBC3 tomorrow and Sunday they won't be showing the Roses
    they often have stuff on the red button too for their festival coverage. hard to see them having no roses, unless it's the band insisting on none.

Just on the wellies thing - I'm not sure i'd fancy doing the amount of walking i did in my wellies. perfect for in the venue, not so perfect to and from it!

D-FENS wrote: »
    By the way, my sister reckons she passed Ian in the Morrison Hotel, Ormond Quay, presume they were staying there, anyone happen to be in there afterwards?
    They were staying in The Morrisson alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Macy0161 wrote: »
    they often have stuff on the red button too for their festival coverage. hard to see them having no roses, unless it's the band insisting on none.

Looks like you're right, and the band are mentioned on here so should be part of tomorrow night's coverage. Noel Gallagher on just before them so could end up a decent night's tele

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2012/06/whats_on_bbc_red_button_titp_july.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The Nal wrote: »
    See you're part of the problem with that attitude. Are you a one-gig-a-decade person? Spend tens of thousands with MCD on tickets and see if your attitude changes. You accepting being treated like a whore means they'll just do it again.

Can't believe people don't strive for better in this country when it comes to events. We're way behind the rest of the world when it comes to this sort of thing.
    So it's the so-called "one-gig-a-decade" people that ensure that MCD continue to provide a sub-standard product and not the people that fork out "tens of thousands" continually?

Right.

Continue to moan about it on the internet - I'm sure they'll change their ways if you do that enough.

Here's the intro to Fool's Gold from last night what I did record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Teddin wrote: »
    The impression I am getting from the Dublin gig

:) Jaysus... We even have people that weren't there pissing and moaning!! Teddin, believe me, you missed a good gig.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement