Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

total fundraising recruitment

Options
  • 18-10-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

has anyone been a fundraiser for this company or a similar one? if so what are they like to work for etc? its not commissioned based but there must be a good bit of pressure to raise a certain amount as possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I've done it, it's appalling. You're on the street 8 hours a day, people will tell you to **** off before you can say a word, if they don't just ignore you. It's not commission based, but its bonus based - Initially, you get minimum wage, but once you get a certain number of sign ups in a given day (or maybe week, can't recall), your rate of pay goes up for that day, and then goes up with every sale. But if you're getting below your quota, you won't be around long - I lasted a week and a half through sheer stubbornness, a load of the guys I worked with had already quit or been fired before that point.

It is without a doubt the worst job I've ever had in my life. If you think you can stomach it though, give it a shot. Worst case scenario you'll do it for a while, earn some money, and get tossed. So long as you interview well and seem extremely confidnet and outgoing, you should get hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

think il leave it then lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 giggs1999

Worked for Total fundraising. Pleasant to start, best interview in a while they said. 2 days of working hard taking abuse, and then they did not even have the manners to tell me not to come back the evening before they sacked me. Spent valuable money getting to work.

Yet another example, of all that glistens is not gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andie90

I went for an interview, got the job and on our introduction day I left thanking God that I wouldn't have to go backif I didn't want to. We signed up to door to door duties in Limerick and on the introduction day we were told that someone in the head office failed to inform us that we were going to be part of the ''roaming'' team. They expected us to go to Galway the next day at 8am and were telling us this less than 24 hours beforehand. One guy who had travelled from Kerry was taken by the group leader to Galway that very evening, he didn't have a change of clothes or anything! It was 21Euro a month you were trying to get from people - which is a bit much for some in this climate. It is very in-your-face and seems like you almost have to trick people into signing up. Alright it isn't commission based and you have a basic wage but that wasn't enough to make me stick to it! Definately not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LauraFoXX

I post this message to warn people of the horrors of working with total fundraising! I worked with them for a grand total of three days and I was traumatised after. We were taken in for an interview which was very informal. The next day the successful or 'unfortunately' successful candidates I should say, me included, were taken into their damp and unimpressive HQ in Limerick where they coached us on how to pressure people into signing up to give 21 euro a month to a specific charity. It was all about pushing people into giving up their money and we were meant to try and tell them how little 21euro month would do for you. All I could think of was eh...It would top up my phone...Put petrol in my car...Things like that. On the third day I went door to door with a team leader, someone who had been at the job for quite a while. I was meant to be observing them before being left to my own devices. It started raining just after lunch and I mean a torrential downpour which continued for the evening. I recall the team leader telling me that we could not stop working due to the rain, and she stayed knocking on doors with rain falling fast. I was drenched within 10 minutes. I told the leader I had to go to the bathroom so I slipped into the nearest mcdonalds, threw my badge in the bin and ran for the hills! They didn't even attempt to contact me, suggesting that that sort of thing happens all the time. It was an awful experience, I would not reccommend that job to anybody with any shred of dignity. Fair play to the people who stick it, they have hearts of steel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its quite frankly the lowest of the low. With respect for everyone who does work for them, I appreciate circumstances differ, but you have to have no morals what so ever to be paid to work for a charity. The essence of charity is volunteering and if your on the take, whats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its quite frankly the lowest of the low. With respect for everyone who does work for them, I appreciate circumstances differ, but you have to have no morals what so ever to be paid to work for a charity. The essence of charity is volunteering and if your on the take, whats the point.

I disagree. If you expect people to work for pushing 10 hours a day, in the torrential rain/cold/wind, while having all manners of abuse thrown at them and expect them to remain unnaturally enthusiastic and upbeat for the duration, anything less than minimum wage seems a bit cruel. Although I do disagree with the level of money you would be rewarded with for meeting your targets, charity should never be about financial gain and rewards, but I don't think I would have done that job for free. Not to mention the fact that I was sent to Galway with 20 minutes notice, and then to another six counties over the next few weeks, there is no possible way I could have paid for food/travel etc without my shambolic little 8.50 an hour. :cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mauriceD100

For something that is meant to make you feel good about what you are doing, as in for making a difference to the lives of those people who are in need of charity, this job really can make you feel like just the worst person. I worked with TF for approximately two months. I felt that I was making some people feel bad about their own personal circumstances as I was trying to persuade them that 21euro a month to give to charity wasn't going to makwe a difference in their lives, when clearly it was. One lady I recall, cried uncontrollably whilst I was on about my 'how 21 euro isn't a lot' speil. Obviously it was not something she could live without. I felt like the most dreadful person- and with that I left the job. Down on top of all of this, I had an issue with the 'roaming ' teams. I was signred up for work in Limerick only, and on my 3rd day I was told that I would have to go to Galway for three days. I did, transport and accom were paid for, but the accom was vile. This happened 7 times during my 2 months and I had not even signed up for the roaming job. Even though there is a basic wage, I feel that it really is not enough to make the job bearable. I hated it and would not recommend it to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

I was in the car with the roaming team, and one guy got told he was sacked there and then and had to HITCHHIKE back. For a charity company they really have no morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lencarlson

I worked with TF for a month before realising what a waste of time it was. On the day of the interview I noticed that it was competely informal... The only Q i was asked was how was I with deadlines. Got the job and when I went for the first introduction day I met a guywho said that he had been given the job only because he knew the dude who was in charge of the limerick base , so he had never needed to go for an interview. Tyhat was the stage at which I should have walked. I did walk however when I was taken to Galway as part of the ''roaming'' team. I was only told I was part of that team two days after I joined... I had not signed up for this but I said it might be fun so I tried it. The accom is paid for by TF but it was a shabby hostel, with all of us cramped into one tiny room. When I saw this I took the very next bus straight back home. Didn't tell them I was leaving and they didn't make an attempt to contact me either. In the month I was there, I saw at least 20 new people arrive and 20 people leave. This is an absolutely awful job, really need to steer clear of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

i worked for them in limerick for a whole week ,but would never go into that line of work again its a ficking night mare ,people being fired every day if not fired they were leaving
    they hold interviews almost every week from what i could see and the are manager seems to be under pressure to meet targets ( although i have to say she was a very very nice woman but under pressure from head office to meet targets no complaints from me about her at all ) its just the way the company works is sh1t you arrive at office at 11 o clock then onto the target area then start knocking on doors at about 1 o clock untill 5.30 then back to all the doors that u got no answer to the first time round then when u get that done you go back to the start again and knock on the doors that you got no answer to the second time round after the third time round you move on to the next area and keep knocking untill 9 oclock (illegal to be knocking on doors after 9 )then u go back to the office and arrive at what ever time u get there :):):)
    as i said NEVER AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I also worked for TF in Dublin for a total of 3 days. I wasn't told till induction day that I was on the evening door to door team, not the daytime city streets team I asked for.

I knew I had made a mistake when I got in the team leaders car, and he announced it would be ok for everyone to smoke in the car, even though I don't smoke, so I had to sit there in a smoke filled car while we drove out to Dun Loaghaire. Oh and he was so busy texting that he almost crashed once.

I managed to sign one person up and that was it. I wasnt getting back to HQ till 10pm at night after starting at 12. It was awful. My boyfriend picked me up all 3 of the days, and all 3 of the days I cried the drive home.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 justintime1

Went got an interview here last week...today went for an induction day and left after 2 hours... Just read this forum now and I am so glad I did! They wanted me to work for dogs trust Ireland... seems like a good cause and all by my god they were trying to coach us on how to push people into forking out 21 euro a month in a contract-type situation. how awful! I do not understand how people can fall for that. knew it was too good to be true! The other people I was with were all convinced it would be easy to get at least 10 people a day to sign up - crazy! Wouldn't touch it ... saw it advertised on jobs.ie . .... that place is the worst for advertising dead-end jobs like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cullow123

After reading the posts from other people.I decided not to go to the interview.I got a call from them at about 11:30 reminding me of my interview today.I said to the guy on the other end of phone when he asked for a reason why I would not be attending and I just said no reason.

I also do wonder how much of that €21 actually goes to the charity in question and do I smell a ponzi scheme here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 justintime1

cullow123 wrote: »
    After reading the posts from other people.I decided not to go to the interview.I got a call from them at about 11:30 reminding me of my interview today.I said to the guy on the other end of phone when he asked for a reason why I would not be attending and I just said no reason.

I also do wonder how much of that €21 actually goes to the charity in question and do I smell a ponzi scheme here.

I'd say maybe 1 Euro!! They don't seem V legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No, they're completely legit. That direct debit goes into the charitys bank accounts, look at the forms. The charity then pays the company a flat fee for signing the person up, and that's how the business model works.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

Sorry to be bringing this thread back to the top but I just want to contribute my 2 cents.

I worked for them for 3 months, I was a team leader and had roamed a few times. The boss was a lovely lovely woman and I never really had any problems there, I could usually pull my 2 or 3 a day.

The only reason I took the job was because I was offered it 2 days after the interview. I was also convinced that you had a contract if you lasted 12 weeks, as we were told. I lasted, bout 13 weeks. While I worked there I bared it, I needed the money to pay rent. But looking back on it...

They are brutal to work for. They are VERY target driven and if you don't meet your targets, you will be fired. I saw people leave on their induction days and I saw people fired after their first day. During my time there, between Limerick and Dublin, 300 people had been hired and fired. The options are: 12, 15 and €21 a month. 12 and 15 are worth 1 point and €21 is worth 1.5 points. Each fundraiser is required a minimum of 3 points a day, with very little fluctuations allowed. Anything over that bonuses start to occur, if you get 4 points your basic wage for the day increases from 61 to 71. If you get 5 however, you get something around €140 so realistically you would be aiming for 5 points.

They dont care about how long you work and will work you like a slave. You'll go into the office at 11am every morning and you wont expect to return home until 11pm at night. If you get no sales, expect to get fired the next day. They are not allowed to fire you over the phone or tell you you are going to be fired, so when you come in the next morning you will be told to go home regardless of your travel expenses.

You will work in rain, hail, snow, darkness, thunder etc. Don't expect any luxury. They used to use paper to sign people up but now they use ipads which send the billing information directly to the company and is immediately wiped from the system. The ipads are waterproof.

Your basic wage is €61 per day and you will spend 12 hours a day with the same people, expect to get very close to them. I have seen people hook up, fight, cheat on their boyfriends and girlfriends because of how familiar they get through this job.

Now like I said, the regional manager is lovely, I never ever had a problem with her. However the woman over her that works in the head office in Dublin, is not very nice. She claims that "every person is a donor" and does not seem to comprehend if you are having a bad day. She gives you hell. She is stubborn and rude and the complete opposite of the regional manager, she's not someone I got along with

The company also do not accept any excuses. While the following are perfectly valid excuses for anyone who has ever done door to door:

1) The people here are too ignorant
    2) This estate is too poor
    3) This is a s*it area
    4) This area has bad attitude people

The company do not accept them and at a single mention of one of the above expect to get roared at. If you say this to the blonde woman in Dublin, expect to get fired.

All in all, if you are a people person, dont mind working 12 hours for €61 and dont mind abuse and rain you can do this job. IT IS DOABLE, YOU JUST NEED A LOT OF DEDICATION. I was not going to give up because I had to keep it otherwise I would have lost my apartment, had to move home and subsequently would have lost a lot more.

I'm going to put it like this: This job will test everything you know about your self. It will make you lie to and manipulate people to get their money. The charity you work for will no longer be special to you it will be a product. You'll be abused and pressurised and broken down. If you have a choice between this and another job, take the other job. If this is your last hope, try it.

And no, you don't get a contract after 12 weeks. Forgot to mention a lot of the things they say to motivate you are lies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Worst job I have ever had, got another job offer a week into it which I accepted and never looked back.

The worst part was I felt I was treated really badly by management during the training process. I have never had a similar experience from any other employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shaz84

Thanks for the information all. Unfortunately, my current situation means I have to consider this type of work. Im at uni Mon-Fri, are the jobs full time only or do they have weekend jobs too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I did a door to door sales for charity thing when I was about 19.

I feel like a part of my soul was stolen, which I can never get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

All I can say is....

Avoid, avoid, avoid... like the plague! In fact, plague probably better!

Biggest mistake I ever made starting for them... 2nd day and I was somewhere on the North side... texted a few mates and ended up walking off on one lad and meeting my mates. Ignored their calls therein...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Carzado

I worked here for a grand total of 3 days! It was horrible. A girl that started out with me quit the day after the training and the second quit after our first "fundraising" outing. The way I see it they don't care about you but they tell you a lot of horse**** to get you motivated but its not just worth it.

Advertisement