Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in fairly rural area

Options
  • 18-10-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Living in a fairly rural area in west cork.
    Don't have a phone line as we just use our mobiles, but even they have shocking coverage. O2 and Vodafone both bad.
    Tried getting 3 mobile Internet... Didnt work.
    We are living in our house for 2 years now, I really want the Internet.

I heard of a satellite broadband?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get Internet in an area with very little coverage.

Husband asked an eircom guy recently but he said "no, not in this area".

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I'm in the bandon area.
    Thanks for the links.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

OP, I have an 02 mobile, and the phone reception is grand, I have an 02 dongle and the reception is great at the front of the house and non-existent at the back - I think all providers do a week-long trial with their mobile b/b now, so it might be worth trying that to see how you get on with each provider

cjmcork wrote: »
    OP, I have an 02 mobile, and the phone reception is grand, I have an 02 dongle and the reception is great at the front of the house and non-existent at the back - I think all providers do a week-long trial with their mobile b/b now, so it might be worth trying that to see how you get on with each provider
    Thanks.
    But I am with 02 mobile and it's not great. It can change from zero to 3 bars in the same room. Upstairs is the same. I've never had 4 bars coverage in my house. When the phone rings I have to run outside or upstairs to be able to have some kind of telephone conversation.
    It's very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you have friends on other networks, invite them over for a cuppa, see what their coverage is like. And call the wireless operators, see what their coverage is like in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

crap there was an add on there with niall quinn advertising broadband for the most isolated areas. apparently he owns the company.

http://www.qsat.ie/broadband?gclid=CN7bi8DF9KsCFZFc4QodACPZwg

seems to be it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

oh and with the dongles you can also get this unit they plug into and wirelessly pick it up in the rest of the house for up to 4 computers. I got one from vodafone. I think it amplifies the signal too but you can also leave it where ever reception best in the house and get that everywhere else. Mine is several times faster then what it used to be.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    oh and with the dongles you can also get this unit they plug into and wirelessly pick it up in the rest of the house for up to 4 computers. I got one from vodafone. I think it amplifies the signal too but you can also leave it where ever reception best in the house and get that everywhere else. Mine is several times faster then what it used to be.
    The guy who I dealt with from 3 mobile told me about that, but because we are not in a broadband scheme area it will cost us €300!
    Thanks for the link.

dahamsta wrote: »
    If you have friends on other networks, invite them over for a cuppa, see what their coverage is like. And call the wireless operators, see what their coverage is like in your area.
    I've done that too! Everyone that calls I check their coverage.
    Every provider seems to have poor coverage.
    It's kinda strange as we live Almost on top of a hill and I can see the main cork kilarney road from the upstairs of my house. I can see a transmitter of some sort up on the hill on the other side of the main cork kilarney road.... It may not be a mobile one though, but I don't know what else it could be....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I'm in W Cork too and I've just ordered Rapid Broadband, I think it uses radio waves or something to transmit broadband, I'm not really sure. They said its not by satellite. But I should expect up to 4 mb so they said. I currently have Eircom with 1mb so looking forward to great things!
    I don't know if it covers Bandon but is worth a shot to check. My mobile reception wouldn't be great (maybe 2 sometimes 3 bars) so I didn't look into 3g at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

Rapid are pretty good, and have a good coverage of west cork
    they also do a phone/broadband bundle as well,.

Certainly living in rural west cork, limits your options

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laoire

I've been with Rapid Broadband for about 2 years. I'd recommend it.

Thank you everyone. Have gotten onto rapid and qsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

http://www.airwave.ie/index.php/

Have a look at airwave, local family business based in Carrigtohill, i'm with these guys, have no complaints. Dont know do they cover your area but they have a coverage map on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You can also check if you qualify under the national broadband scheme.

Linky

We got it at home and its worked out grand. We are in a rural area with no fixed line and very very little mobile broadband coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

http://www.airwave.ie/index.php/

Have a look at airwave, local family business based in Carrigtohill, i'm with these guys, have no complaints. Dont know do they cover your area but they have a coverage map on the website

+ 1 on airwave, use them also. No complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭suzerxxx

i know someone who uses rapid bb, its quite expensive to instal and for what it is its expensive over all but its prob the best your gona get! not very good if you will be online alot as download limit is rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

We use ripplecom , satellite . happy with it , but not cheap , about 40 e per month , they are offering phone and BB packages now though , worh a call maybe .

Advertisement