Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Suggestions for a compact mic for Canon 5D mrk 2.

• 18-10-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Guys ,

I really couldn't find where the best place for this post was so put it here , Mods feel free to move to the right place. thanks.

I recently bought a Canon EOS 5D mrk 2 mostly as i want to start getting in to video work.
    Now ive got about 5 years experience in Photography and have done well out of it but now want to start of in video.
    My current kit is the camera above and the Glidecam 4000 for Stabilisation.

The next piece i need is a good quality Microphone for fitting on to the hotshoe and there seem to be many options but I was wondering if those with experience already might suggest Models that they them selves have had good experiences with and where you got them from?

IM thinking some of the Rode models in Conns Cameras look good but figure for such a purchase best to check with those who have experience.

Many Thanks.

Buck.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Anyone I have seen using it for video uses a Rode mic

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=305

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Thanks , I like the look of the Rode VideoMic Pro, but will see what other think.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

The best way to go here is to buy an off camera digital recorder, and I would recommend either the zoom H1 or H2 or H4 if you can afford it. Just record the audio on the 5d using the onboard mike, bring the audio file over from the recorder then and sync it up in premiere pro etc afterwards. If either fail you have a b-roll to work with. Also, you can add a second mike eg a directional one into the second channel of the zoom if you need to. The H4 is 4 channel input, around 250-300€ I think.

That is what the pros are doing right not. They also use a rode mic mounted up top on a shockmount to record into the 5D, but nearly all are using a zoom as well.

Fran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the problem with using an external recorder, although you can kind of eyeball the sync

if there is real lip sync to do, its very dificult to sync up this way

the way the pros do stuff like this is the camera generates timecode and everything locks to it

dslr's dont produce timecode so its a little more difficult

a simple thing to do is use a clapper board type setup where a very short burst of sound is generated and recorded onto everything, this way you have a real sync point to use

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

stcstc wrote: »
    the problem with using an external recorder, although you can kind of eyeball the sync

if there is real lip sync to do, its very dificult to sync up this way

the way the pros do stuff like this is the camera generates timecode and everything locks to it

dslr's dont produce timecode so its a little more difficult

a simple thing to do is use a clapper board type setup where a very short burst of sound is generated and recorded onto everything, this way you have a real sync point to use

Good thinking but for me im going to go with a simple solution i think and that would be just the All in one job fitted on to the DSLR.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement