Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hours/pay?

Options
  • 18-10-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

Heya, hope someone can help - I just started work part time, 12 hours a week and I see that I'm really working 4 hrs and 45 mins a day excluding my 15 min break.

Now I'm noticing that I'm still down as having worked only a 12 hour week on my rota even though I really worked 14 hrs 15 mins.

I don't start work when the shop is opening and I'm not there when it closes - I remember in an other job I wasn't paid for the extra time I had to stay behind to clean the store - like half an hour - but it couldn't be that as I'm not there when the store closes.

What's the story here? Is this a new thing that employers are doing now? Can they do this? Will I get paid the full amount I worked or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, you have to get paid for the hours you work.

What exactly does it say on the rota?

Is it like 11-4, 3 days? If so you could have to take an hour break. In retail if you work between 11 and 3 you get a 1 hr break, unpaid.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Workingtimeact.pdf
    Shop Employees whose hours of work include the hours
    11.30am - 2.30pm must be allowed a
    break of one hour which must commence between the
    hours 11.30am - 2.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

It's 10am - 3pm three days a week and I'm only allowed a 15 minute at 1pm.

My rota says Mon 10- 3, Tues 10-3 and Wed 10-3 and then at the end total: 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

It's 10am - 3pm three days a week and I'm only allowed a 15 minute at 1pm.

My rota says Mon 10- 3, Tues 10-3 and Wed 10-3 and then at the end total: 12 hours.

Ok the 15 min break is correct as your working over 4.5hrs http://www.employment-matters.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=26 but you should definitely be getting paid for the other 45 mins your working! speak to your manager asap!!

Amzie wrote: »
    Ok the 15 min break is correct as your working over 4.5hrs http://www.employment-matters.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=26 but you should definitely be getting paid for the other 45 mins your working! speak to your manager asap!!

Yeah, I thought so- I've only just started this job and I'm hoping it's a typo. I'll have a chat with my manager tomorrow but thought I'd double check my rights in case I get the run a round.

Yeah, I thought so- I've only just started this job and I'm hoping it's a typo. I'll have a chat with my manager tomorrow but thought I'd double check my rights in case I get the run a round.

Are you getting paid monthly? if so then they should be able to sort out correct payment in time incase they have been putting through that you've only been working 12hrs instead of the 14.15hrs. Hope you get things sorted neways:)

• Advertisement

Amzie wrote: »
    Are you getting paid monthly? if so then they should be able to sort out correct payment in time incase they have been putting through that you've only been working 12hrs instead of the 14.15hrs. Hope you get things sorted neways:)

Weekly pay but I'm assuming I have to do the usual week in hand malarchy and I haven't finished the week yet. Also, thanks for all your help :)

Weekly pay but I'm assuming I have to do the usual week in hand malarchy and I haven't finished the week yet. Also, thanks for all your help :)

Ah nice one:D oh yeah i'd say that does apply(depends on employer) Its no probs and Hopefully your boss will be grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lovely adding skills they have with their total there. Are you clocking in and out? If so, HR can check it out and manually adjust your pay if there's any mistakes and it doesn't add up. If not it could be to do that they're factoring in that you're entitled to 3 lunches a week but the manager on the floor isn't aware of that rule and is allocating you just a break. The break itself should be longer anyway- the law is 30 minutes if your shift is 6 hours.

Lovely adding skills they have with their total there. Are you clocking in and out? If so, HR can check it out and manually adjust your pay if there's any mistakes and it doesn't add up. If not it could be to do that they're factoring in that you're entitled to 3 lunches a week but the manager on the floor isn't aware of that rule and is allocating you just a break. The break itself should be longer anyway- the law is 30 minutes if your shift is 6 hours.

I'm only entitled to the 15 mins as far as I know, my shift is 5 hours and all is done by two managers the old fashioned way, writing up a rota and sticking it on the wall - no clock in or out. Although, I think the hours have to be sent via computer to HR - wherever they may be. I don't mind about the short break - day is short enough but I'd very much like to get paid for the whole lot of it haha.
    I reckon it's a typo but never hurts to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, the 15 mins break of right for a 5 hr shift, I think this is handier than an hr unpaid.

Usually you'd get paid for the 15, I'd say you will.

That makes 15 hrs per week and the 12 hrs looks like a typo.

• Advertisement

Hey, did you get your pay sorted out in the end?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

My first thought on reading your post was that:

Maybe you are on a contract of 12 hours per week.

Double check the rota, I used to use rotas and I would have all the staff hours and on the right hand side I would have a column for contracted hours ie: in your case 12hrs. To make sure that I was giving staff at least their contracted hours.

Then when I was doing payroll at end of week/month I would manually total actual hours worked and they would go in another column.

Just a thought.. but your 15min break (I'm pretty sure) is paid and it's only that if your shift goes to 6hrs then it would be 30mins break unpaid and 15mins paid break. I used to lob these 2 breaks together sometimes for staff.

Best of luck.

foxinsox wrote: »
    My first thought on reading your post was that:

Maybe you are on a contract of 12 hours per week.

Double check the rota, I used to use rotas and I would have all the staff hours and on the right hand side I would have a column for contracted hours ie: in your case 12hrs. To make sure that I was giving staff at least their contracted hours.

Then when I was doing payroll at end of week/month I would manually total actual hours worked and they would go in another column.

Just a thought.. but your 15min break (I'm pretty sure) is paid and it's only that if your shift goes to 6hrs then it would be 30mins break unpaid and 15mins paid break. I used to lob these 2 breaks together sometimes for staff.

Best of luck.

Heya, I went in and asked and got a very vague answer at first but eventually got it out of them that I was going to be paid for the hours - minus the 15 min breaks.
    That was a relief to say the least - so all is good now and worry is over. :)

I've been burned by previous employers and I'm on the lookout constantly to make sure I'm given what I'm owed. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Advertisement