Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NORTHERN IRL INSURANCE!

• 18-10-2011 5:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering can anyone recommend a Motorhome Insurer or Broker in the North of Ireland please.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Dolmen Insurance Brokers, Dublin, will also insure in the North and I believe in the UK. They do Campervan insurance.

I know somebody up north insured via them and he's very happy with them.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This is interesting.

If Dolmen do insurance for someone living in the U.K. mainland,
    does anyone know of an insurance company/broker over there who will insure someone living in the Republic?

This is interesting.

If Dolmen do insurance for someone living in the U.K. mainland,
    does anyone know of an insurance company/broker over there who will insure someone living in the Republic?

Dolmen is a broker, so essentially, it's just a matter on who they insure you with. You would need to find a broker in the UK, that uses an underwriter licensed in the republic.

It doesn't matter anyhow, because the price is the same more or less, at least with Dolmen. Can't remember the exact figure, but it's between 300 and 400 EUR fixed price for campervan insurance and that doesn't matter if it's in the Republic or in NI, that you are located.

And even better, they now finally also have removed the 1.8m rule similar as to the government rules, so the conversions without pop-top or high roof can get camper insurance. It's the first broker I heard of, that actually has done that.

/M

I fully understand all of this but I was wondering if anyone is insured through a U.K. broker.

I would like to find insurance cover for short term as my 'van is off the road for 4 - 6 months every year.
    Dolmens are quite happy for me to cancel and get a pro-rata refund but I would have to do a full, new, application for insurance when the 'van goes back on the road.

I would like to find insurance cover for short term as my 'van is off the road for 4 - 6 months every year.
    Dolmens are quite happy for me to cancel and get a pro-rata refund but I would have to do a full, new, application for insurance when the 'van goes back on the road.

Honestly, at that rate, is it really worth your while ? Also, remember, that if your campervan gets stolen during the winter or broken into, it's not insured.

I see that as an unecessary risk for the time the van is off the road. Especially when looking at, that insurance is f*ck all compared to any other car.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Honestly, at that rate, is it really worth your while ? Also, remember, that if your campervan gets stolen during the winter or broken into, it's not insured.

I see that as an unecessary risk for the time the van is off the road. Especially when looking at, that insurance is f*ck all compared to any other car.

/M

Yes it would be worth while.
    My 'van spends the winter in a well secured barn with a couple of tractors for company most nights, and days if it's raining, both of which are worth more than my 'van and both would have to be moved before the camper could be stolen, also, fully comp insurance on my car is nearly 100 euro less than the camper insurance.

As far as being broken into, looking through the windows would show anyone that nothing worth stealing is left in it over winter

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Hi and thanks for the replies, I tried Dolmans before I placed this post and Dolmans will not insure outside of the Republic of Ireland, or so they told me, if anyone can recommend a broker in the six counties I'd be very grateful for motorhomes!

yardeyar wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for the replies, I tried Dolmans before I placed this post and Dolmans will not insure outside of the Republic of Ireland, or so they told me, if anyone can recommend a broker in the six counties I'd be very grateful for motorhomes!

Hi, Dolmen definatly do Northern Ireland. I can check with the guy that is insured in the North with thim on saturday and get you a contact.

/M

Cool Marlow and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

I live in Derry and have been insured by Dolmen for years,try them again as I think you have been given wrong information.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'll give them a ring next week! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blokarter

Our motorhomes have benn insured with dolmen and we live in N.I.
    They do cover N.I. registered vehicles

Hi I rang Dolmans and I spoke with a different girl today and yes they do insure up North, so thanks again for all you replies!

Advertisement