Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grammar

• 18-10-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

What do you think the following means: "60% of those in groups A and B voted in favour of the motion"?

Does this mean that 60% of the combination of the people in A and B voted in favour or does it mean that 60% of group A and 60% of group B voted in favour?

I think the meaning would also be different if the word "group" was used instead of "groups".

Bloody Grammar!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moved from Creative Writing to English

Is there any more context? Are there any other groups for example? I'd be inclined to say it meant 60% of A and 60% of B although if the groups are of equal size it would amount to the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That's not really any less ambiguous to me. You'd need to use 'each' or 'across'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Doesn't it come to the same thing anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 asper

"60% of those in groups A and B voted in favour of the motion"?

Unless otherwise indicated , "60% of" is of the single subject following it. Here that would be "of those in groups A and B".

The only other possibility is two individual subjects; those being "60% of those in groups A" and "B" (grammatically incorrect)

Unless of course the sentence is of political or marketing origin, in which case all bets are off

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Is there any more context? Are there any other groups for example? I'd be inclined to say it meant 60% of A and 60% of B although if the groups are of equal size it would amount to the same thing.

I would agree, also the groups don't have to be the same size.
    group A (20) 60% = 12
    group b (30) 60% = 18
    Total= 30

group A+b 50 60% =30

I know it's not the maths forum but thought it might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

BASHIR wrote: »
    I would agree, also the groups don't have to be the same size.
    group A (20) 60% = 12
    group b (30) 60% = 18
    Total= 30

group A+b 50 60% =30

I know it's not the maths forum but thought it might help.

Aye. 0/20 from group A and 30/30 from group B is still 60% across the two groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Since somebody mentioned maths, I'll lob in another perspective. ;)

The OP mentions two possible interpretations, but there is another (dare I say, more literally logical) interpretation:

"Of those people who are in group A and are also in group B, 60% voted in favour of the motion."

That is, if I belong to both groups, then I am one of the people that this statement is about; if I belong to group A only, or group B only, or neither group, then I am not one of the people that this statement is about.

That is how the sentence would be interpreted in a mathematical context, I believe.

For example, if Group A consists of all of the women involved, and Group B consists of all the tall people involved, then we are being told that 60% of the tall women voted in favour of the motion.

I realise, of course, that this is not how most people would interpret the statement in other contexts. However, it does illustrate that sentences sometimes don't mean what logic dictates they should mean!

Advertisement