Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining a union....

• 18-10-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just got a job as an Irish teacher, I'm straight out of a PGCE I done in Coleraine so I'm just wondering what union should I join or should I join at all?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What union are the teachers in your school in? ASTI or TUI or is there a mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NoelleTh

Its a huge school, over a 1000 students and there is a mix of the unions..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NoelleTh wrote: »
    Its a huge school, over a 1000 students and there is a mix of the unions..

If you are in a VEC school, it's usually the TUI have negotiating rights with the employer.
    Ask the union rep(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I'm in a vec school this year so I'm gonna join the tui. Do I give my hours as the ones I'm contracted or do you include maternity leave / resource. I only have 7 hours contract and the rest is maternity so do I register under 'part time more than 6 hrs and less than 11'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I'm in a vec school this year so I'm gonna join the tui. Do I give my hours as the ones I'm contracted or do you include maternity leave / resource. I only have 7 hours contract and the rest is maternity so do I register under 'part time more than 6 hrs and less than 11'?

It's used to calculate your subscription rate. Give your own hours as the maternity isn't for the year

• Advertisement

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I honestly feel being part of a union is important, but if I were a young NQT today, I would consider setting up my own. These people should be allowed to join TUI or ASTI for free. It's the least we could do for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

doc_17 wrote: »
    I honestly feel being part of a union is important, but if I were a young NQT today, I would consider setting up my own. These people should be allowed to join TUI or ASTI for free. It's the least we could do for them
    They really should be encouraged to join alright. The way things are going, new, young teachers aren't going to join the unions because they'll (quite rightly) see them as organisations that did/are doing nothing to prevent the government cutting their allowances which in turn will weaken those unions as older teachers retire and aren't replaced by the young teachers the unions didn't stand up for.

Sometimes representing your members requires you to protect the interests of non-members too. Giving teachers free membership or significantly reduced membership in their first couple of years teaching would be a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

RealJohn wrote: »
    doc_17 wrote: »
    They really should be encouraged to join alright. The way things are going, new, young teachers aren't going to join the unions because they'll (quite rightly) see them as organisations that did/are doing nothing to prevent the government cutting their allowances which in turn will weaken those unions as older teachers retire and aren't replaced by the young teachers the unions didn't stand up for.

Sometimes representing your members requires you to protect the interests of non-members too. Giving teachers free membership or significantly reduced membership in their first couple of years teaching would be a step in the right direction.

As a regular attendee at union meetings I have to say that having people as members is not enough. They need to attend meetings and make their feelings and position known.

We all 'know' what the situation is but I think new teachers need to articulate that for themselves a bit too allowing them to join unions for free would bring many of them in and build a critical mass to make a difference.

The strength of a union is in the willingness of members to take action. The more new teachers the better as they can influence what happens. Far too many teachers take no interest and then wonder what the unions are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

doc17 has a real point

" the Club of 11" might as well start a breakaway union and build their future from there, as the current unions do not defend them anyway.

From little acorns...etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

There should be:
    Pre 2004 club
    2004-2011 club
    Post 2011 club

I see the Asti is now waiving the fee this year for new entrants. I wonder will tui follow suit? I still haven't joined it yet!

Advertisement