Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still looking for onion powder!

Options
  • 18-10-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I have been looking for this elusive stuff for years now - I can't even find a UK supplier who ships to Ireland. If anyone knows where this can be had, I'll be forever grateful. I'm out in the wilds of Mayo, so somewhere that does mail order would be ideal - can't see myself taking a day to go Dublin just for onion powder, really!

Any ideas how you'd go about making onion powder? I'm thinking dried slices in the oven, pulverised in a processor? Doesn't sound that practical, but at this stage in the hunt I might be willing to try it. I went to a big Asian spice place in the UK last time I was there - they had spices I'd never even heard of - but still no onion powder, and I have recipes that call for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Have you tried the African/Asian food shop in Tucker Street, Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tesco has Onion Granules in the spice section. Is that not the same thing? It looks like powder to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Gordon wrote: »

Thanks (and to others who replied) - looked at Amazon, but it turns out the one that ships in semi-bulk won't ship to Ireland - BUT - your suggestion of Amazon led me to try eBay - and there's now 450g of onion powder on its way to me :) I didn't think of the 'normal' selling sites (doh!) - have been looking at spice shops/suppliers. Cheers for the brain-nudge!

Will also check out Tescos and the place in Castlebar, next time the rain holds off long enough to get to the car without drowning :) Probably next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cool, sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eyes. What do you use onion powder for btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

It's an ingredient in a base curry sauce - which is the closest I've ever come to reproducing the authentic restaurant taste. I've been trying for years, and the closest I ever came was the last time I managed to get hold of ALL the correct ingredients, including onion powder. I'd post the recipe, but it's not mine - I got it from http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com, their Melting Base 3. Best curry site online, in my opinion (and no, they don't pay me, I pay THEM for membership!). There's some free stuff there too - including (I believe) the base sauce recipes. Only fun for those who are pretty fussy about curry - if you're someone who's happy enough with using 'curry powder' then you'll think it's all too much bother. Which it might be, but hey, everyone has to have a hobby, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

If I remember correctly, there's a powder called Aoesfodeta (not too sure about the spelling, sorry!). It is onion powder and I think it also has garlic powder in it. It's gotten in most Asian food shops and quite a few health food shops. It is quite strong and is possibly what you are looking for. It definitely adds a certain taste to proper curries. Sorry that I don't have a notion how to link you on to a site that might have it but i'd imagine that you could google it easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

If I remember correctly, there's a powder called Aoesfodeta (not too sure about the spelling, sorry!). It is onion powder and I think it also has garlic powder in it. It's gotten in most Asian food shops and quite a few health food shops. It is quite strong and is possibly what you are looking for. It definitely adds a certain taste to proper curries. Sorry that I don't have a notion how to link you on to a site that might have it but i'd imagine that you could google it easily enough.

Tesco stocks it. (though I dunno what the quality is) I got some recently - in the Thai/Chinese/sushi section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Animord wrote: »
    Tesco stocks it. (though I dunno what the quality is) I got some recently - in the Thai/Chinese/sushi section.

Yup, I have some at home from Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Asafoetida is a dried gum that's crushed to a powder, nothing to do with onions I'm afraid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i got it in tesco also. ive made the melting base 3 it is very good imho :)

Advertisement