Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with UPC wireless

Options
  • 18-10-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Have had UPC for a few months now. Its a Cisco router. All the laptops get fast speeds in every room of the house. I recently purchased a desktop. I plugged the scientific Atlantic USB adapter in and it was kind of working for a few days. Not really getting anything now. It seems to pick up the signal from the router but gets the limited connectivity symbol and is useless. Whilst on the computer it also seems to hover between picking up the network and telling me there are no networks available. This desktop is in the room next to the router. Meanwhile the laptops are much further away and still picking up the signal of the router and have connectivity. No problems.

Does anyone know what the problem is here? The laptops are xp whilst the desktop is windows 7. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the disk that came with the USB but still no look. Could it be a faulty USB?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Turn off the wireless adapter on one of the laptops and try the usb dongle.

If it doesn't work on the laptop it could be a faulty dongle. If you have a different OS on one of the laptops to the desktop then do it on that one as it could be the driver doesn't work properly on the OS on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

banquet wrote: »
    Have had UPC for a few months now. Its a Cisco router. All the laptops get fast speeds in every room of the house. I recently purchased a desktop. I plugged the scientific Atlantic USB adapter in and it was kind of working for a few days. Not really getting anything now. It seems to pick up the signal from the router but gets the limited connectivity symbol and is useless. Whilst on the computer it also seems to hover between picking up the network and telling me there are no networks available. This desktop is in the room next to the router. Meanwhile the laptops are much further away and still picking up the signal of the router and have connectivity. No problems.

Does anyone know what the problem is here? The laptops are xp whilst the desktop is windows 7. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the disk that came with the USB but still no look. Could it be a faulty USB?

Thanks

do you have mac address filtering on the network? You'll need to add the dongle's mac address if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

FSL wrote: »
    Turn off the wireless adapter on one of the laptops and try the usb dongle.

If it doesn't work on the laptop it could be a faulty dongle. If you have a different OS on one of the laptops to the desktop then do it on that one as it could be the driver doesn't work properly on the OS on the laptop.

Thanks, I never would have thought of that :o. As it turns out it looks like the dongle is faulty because its not working with the laptop. Time to get onto UPC for a replacement.

Advertisement