Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning front porch and back Garden into Patio, pics inside, need an estimated cost

Options
  • 18-10-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Here is my garden

Top down view

1.jpg

Front

2.jpg

left wall (cant be seen from other pics)

4.jpg

I basically want to get rid of the entire back garden except for maybe enough space for a hedge by the left wall. The reason I may leave this is because my neighbors keep throwing rubbish into my garden, I cant prove it but Im 99% sure its them, I just have to catch them in the act. Their kids are also constantly jumping in over the this wall whenever one of their cats goes missing, which is a lot because I made the mistake of feeding them one night and they are constantly at my back door looking for food, maybe if they actually fed them themselves this wouldn't happen (one of them is so thin he could be on a trocaire box for cats). So I was thinking of leaving some kind of prickly/poision ivy/get out of my ****in garden hedge so they wont jump over the wall anymore.

Anyway, back to the main point. I want to get rid of the rest of the garden, possibly with a canape as I would like to turn it into a sort of beer garden for when I have friends over, or an outdoor gym as I have a punching bag that I cant mount in my house and a bench press that I dont have any room for that I could store in my shed until I need them.

Now for the front, again,my neighbors kids keep throwing rubbish in here.

Top view

6.jpg

Hedge on left had side

7.jpg

Again I cant prove its them 100%, but my other neighbor doesn't have kids and when most of the rubbish consists of sweet wrappers, broken toys or empty toy boxs, it doesn't take a genius to figure out whos doing it.

I dunno if you can tell by the photos but there is already felt and pebbles out the front, but weeds have managed to find there way through. I cant get a cement mixer out my back but I can out the front, so it means pouring concrete all over it so be it, but slabs will do provided no weeds end up growing between them again.

I was also thinking of moving the hedge on the left to the right, so I dont have to look at my neighbors, their kids are always sitting on the wall that separates my house from theirs. Other then the potential littering (which I cant prove, but its either them or their friends that are doing it and they have A LOT of friends) they haven't done anything wrong, but their always screaming and getting into fights and I just wish they would piss off sometimes.

So thats that, I would build fences between myself and them but I think the corporation have a law against that, although they did build the fence in my garden on the right between me and my other neighbor (who doesn't give me any hassle) and thats much higher then the one between me and my problem neighbors. There is also a house down the road from me with a hedge separating him from his neighbors out the front with the exception of a small gap at his front door for his letter box, Id love this but obviously plants take time to grow.

Sorry about the rant, let us know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Hi. The first thing you need to do is measure the garden in square meters, second measure the length of the wall. (you could put it up on tradesman.ie) it would be free for you. You will get 4 ppl quoting. Have a budget, but only reveal it after you are happy with the best quote or person you want to work with. I would suggest you plant a mature hedge between you and your neighbor. For a good height expect to pay €70.00 including vat per plant one per meter should give you a dense hedge (laurel hedging example)
    Use my-pex on ground to suppress weeds, top dress with bark mulch in front garden (dont use stone in front as kids will throw them around) plant ever green plants, not too many, five would be enough.
    Back Garden:
    Best to have a circle in middle of garden and beds going around. It will make it look bigger. Use the Ballylusk in middle of garden (cream- brown). Rather than have a flat surface of stone you could build raised bed using block work and plaster it for nice finish. Make the wall curved and about 18 inches in depth and about 3 feet tall. You can now use it as seating. Build wall on left side of garden, have lower beds where fencing is. Whole job in back garden should cost about €1,700.00, front depending on hedging about €500.00. Prices quoted include vat @ 13.5%
    Ps I would plant 2 trees in back for privacy

Advertisement