Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital visits for baby

Options
  • 18-10-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey everyone i'm a first time mammy, baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Was born with jaundice and heart murmur, jaundice was very bad so was put under lights to help, thankfully that has cleared but i seem to have to keep going back to the hospital for some reason. I thought after a baby is born that the GP takes over the care and check ups. Just really annoying with new baby and trying to get there as i don't drive and have no help.

just wondering how many visits do u have to the hospital with a new born. Would rather deal with GP considering he's only across the road.

By the way before baby was discharged from hospital a consultant checked her heart didn't tell me much and to me it was as if he was telling me there was nothing to worry bout but no one totally explained it to me.

i'm just really confused! :confused: I don't even know what this appointments for!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Normally none .
    Everyone has 2 gp appointments though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask what the appointments are for, they must be keeping an eye on something if baby is back to hospital a lot. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask. We had to go back to the hospital for the PKU (heel prick test) but that was because it needed to be done at the weekend, usually the PHN can do it if it's a weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I had to keep taking my baby back to the hospital to test her blood for ITP and they told me that for the first 6 weeks the baby is under hospital care and after that it reverts to the GP

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tinkerbell1608

Hate the blood tests they do.... nearly punched a doctor cos she kept putting holes in her hands and getting no blood at all, while my baby was hysterical.

Have to do the GP visits and the hospital ones :mad:

Was reading bout heart murmurs in babies, that most have it cos of a hole in the heart which closes soon after birth but everyone kept telling me when they'd check her heart "It's still there" meaning the murmur. So i'm guessing thats prob what their checking all the time. That and prob to make sure the jaundice has cleared completely :confused:

Thought i'd be through with having to visit that hospital after i had her, but looks like i was wrong! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Seems to me that it's about time you asked some of your medical team what's going on. It doesn't sound like you've really received much information on your daughter's condition or what/how serious her murmur is.

It is in yours and your daughter's best interest that you know what's happening and why you're returning for examinations. There's really no reason you should be so confused at this stage.

As moonbeam mentioned, normally there are no return visits to the hospital, so if you are getting called back in there's a reason for it. Ask what that is & educate yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi Tinkerbell1608,firstly congrats on your new baby
    our baby is 15 months & still fully not discharged from the hospital but thats a different story,however we did receive an appointment from hospital that was not scheduled so we rang them,explained our worry & concern thinking something may be wrong & they were very helpful,so why not ring them,tell them your concerned what the appointment is about

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, i would say its to check the jaundice levels. My son had it bad too and was under lamps, so we had to go back an have it checked at the hospital. Then i had his two week check at the hospital also. After that the 6week check may be at your gp, or it could be hospital.
    Ask the doc to explain about the heart murmur, if they gave you no info on it then it musnt be of any concern, but ask for your own peace of mind. Best of luck and congrats on the new arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi
    My little boy was born with a heart murmur and had to go back at 6 weeks then 6 months it was gone at the 6 month appointment so he was discharged. I'd say they just want to keep an eye on it. Try not to worry

Advertisement