Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get an exemption from Irish?

• 18-10-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,
    I am in 3rd year at the moment doing ordinary level Irish. I was born in Poland and moved to Ireland with my parents and my sister (she was 6 years old) when I was 11 years old. My parents are not Irish either and they don't know English very well.
    I didn't know any English when I came here so I learned it in primary school from 4th class to 6th class. In 1st and 2nd year in secondary school I didn't learn Irish but I was told at the start of 3rd that I have to. My sister is exempt from Irish in primary school, so I thought that it is strange that I am not.
    So is there any chance that I can be exempt from Irish in Junior Cert and Leaving Cert?

Thanks for reading this and I'm sorry for my English.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Ridiculous that they would try to make you pick it up in 3rd year. You should definitely be able to get an exemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

if you moved here when you were under 11 you not entitled, but you were 11 so as far as i know you be ok:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mrs. T

The whole area of Irish exemptions is very complicated.

When you enter the country over the age of 11 you usually qualify for an exemption (under section 1(d) of the circular). HOWEVER, it is the responsibility of the school you join (your primary school) to process the exemption.

Your secondary school cannot give you the exemption because they cannot confirm that you had no English when you came to Ireland. Your parents need to call the primary school and meet with them.

Also, it is not when you started in the school but when you registered so if you were 10 when you registered you don't automatically get an exemption.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pawel885

Thank you all for your answers! Yesterday I went to my primary school and talked with the principal, there is a good chance I will get an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Hey! I'd say you can get an exemption as someone told me if you're not born in Ireland, you don't have to do it. My sister was 9 when we moved here and she did Irish in primary school but later we found out about not doing Irish if you aren't born in Ireland and now she isn't doing it.

Same with my friend, even though she's Irish, she was born in England so she isn't doing Irish. So ya, I think you can get an exemption. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I was going to go off on one of my no-one can get an exemption just do your stupid work rants, but you actually are entitled to an exemption. You moved here at 11 and 10 is the cut off point. Get in touch with the department.

Advertisement