Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having some problems running

• 18-10-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Im just wondering does anyone know of anyone in Limerick
    Who deals with running issues.
    Someone who can say for definate Sean u should wear this shoe bla bla!!
    Ive been told a few times that i pronate when i run etc.

Any ideas??

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Go to Gleeson Sports on William street, and look for Steve. You will get honest advice from a very experienced runner who will point you in the right direction for further more detailed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

There is also a girl who works in Limerick Sports Store on William street who knows her stuff, can't remember her name now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kess73 wrote: »
    Go to Gleeson Sports on William street, and look for Steve. You will get honest advice from a very experienced runner who will point you in the right direction for further more detailed advice.

+1 for Steve!

Also they do the gait analysis in Elverys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

busyliving wrote: »
    There is also a girl who works in Limerick Sports Store on William street who knows her stuff, can't remember her name now:p

Her name is Ann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    +1 for Steve!

Also they do the gait analysis in Elverys

Not knocking Elverys, but there is only one person between their four Limerick stores that I would recommend for any sort of qualified advice on running. Her name always escapes me when she is not in front of me, but she is a polish woman who works/worked in the footwear section of the store in the crescent shopping centre.

Have sat down and chatted with her a few times and she really knows her stuff and she has the sports qualifications to back up her practical experience.

Have been running on a semi competitive basis for two decades now, and I can safely say that Her, and Steve in Gleesons are two of the best knowledgewise that I have come across in Ireland. Ann in Limerick sports store, who I forgot about until Busy mentioned her, is a good shout for good honest advice as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Siobhan, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

YFlyer wrote: »

Siobhan, I believe.

Yep, thats her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

YFlyer wrote: »
    Siobhan, I believe.
    Yes it's definitely Siobhan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

amiable wrote: »
    Yes it's definitely Siobhan :)

Her cousin is an olympic runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Siobhan is a legend aand knows her shoes inside out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

Hey guys,
    Im just wondering does anyone know of anyone in Limerick
    Who deals with running issues.
    Someone who can say for definate Sean u should wear this shoe bla bla!!
    Ive been told a few times that i pronate when i run etc.

Any ideas??

Sean

If you've got running issues and you're susceptible to injuries and posture problems you should really research Barefoot running. Google/YouTube Lee Saxby and watch his videos. Have a look at the Vivo Barefoot running shoes as they are the only true barefoot running shoe on the market. All the others are just copies or minimalistic, so not really barefoot.
    Just remember that barefoot is how we were born to run and walk. Fancy running shoes that knock your posture out of line are a huge contributory factor to injuries and are unnatural.

diol07 wrote: »
    If you've got running issues and you're susceptible to injuries and posture problems you should really research Barefoot running. Google/YouTube Lee Saxby and watch his videos. Have a look at the Vivo Barefoot running shoes as they are the only true barefoot running shoe on the market. All the others are just copies or minimalistic, so not really barefoot.
    Just remember that barefoot is how we were born to run and walk. Fancy running shoes that knock your posture out of line are a huge contributory factor to injuries and are unnatural.

Totally not the case unless you have been barefoot your entire life!

Show me one person who wears shoes/trainers who has a perfect posture. Just the one will do

Show me one person who wears shoes/trainers who has a perfect posture. Just the one will do

And show me the one person in Ireland who has been running/walking in their barefeet since they were born?. Just the one will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

any good tracks around o'connell avenue area?? all this road running is wrecking my knees....

The only one is UL afaik - road running is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

untill I see some of the kenyans wearing barefoot runners I.ll keep wearing what I using now thanks.

And show me the one person in Ireland who has been running/walking in their barefeet since they were born?. Just the one will do!
    So basically you're saying that unless you've been barefoot all your life, that wearing shoes/trainers has no effect on your posture? You couldn't be more wrong. Why do you think arch supports, heel stiffeners etc exist in shoes, especially in children's shoes? It's to counter act the fact that you are no longer naturally barefoot and thus need these extra supports to minimalise the damage to the growing foot, and your posture and muscle development. There is also a huge and very lucrative industry built around orthotic insoles, which developed in the mainstream as a direct result of people wearing sports trainers as every day shoes - they destroy peoples feet (especially developing kids) and for adults it's largely only in later years that you pay for it. There are even retail stores now solely dedicated to correcting foot and posture problems, we even have one here in Limerick. The bottom line is the minute you start wearing shoes, it's the beginning of posture dis-alignment. In the case of an athlete, the wrong footwear or poor posture developed over a lifetime can be a huge contributory factor in injuries and other such problems. Trust me, I've done and continue to do the studies.

If you choose to go down the route of Barefoot running, or simply to wearing Barefoot footwear in an every day sense it will, over time, correct your posture. And in runners/athletes it has been proven to eradicate repetitive injuries. It is not easy to switch over, it does take time. Barefoot technology is going to be massive in the not too distant future, I know all the big boys are going down that route, however they can't copy Vivo Barefoot as it's patented, thus Vivo are the only true barefoot shoe out there at the moment.

baza1976 wrote: »
    untill I see some of the kenyans wearing barefoot runners I.ll keep wearing what I using now thanks.
    Well you've actually proved my point there. The Kenyans don't wear any runners until they absolutely have to. They're brought up barefoot and train that way when they're young. Why do you think they're so good?! Have a look at their stance as well when they're running and compare it to that of Paddy who's been lapped and languishing in second last place. The Kenyans are the opposite to westerners - they don't need to correct anything because they have it from day dot.

So basically you're saying that unless you've been barefoot all your life, that wearing shoes/trainers has no effect on your posture? You couldn't be more wrong. Why do you think arch supports, heel stiffeners etc exist in shoes, especially in children's shoes? It's to counter act the fact that you are no longer naturally barefoot and thus need these extra supports to minimalise the damage to the growing foot, and your posture and muscle development. There is also a huge and very lucrative industry built around orthotic insoles, which developed in the mainstream as a direct result of people wearing sports trainers as every day shoes - they destroy peoples feet (especially developing kids) and for adults it's largely only in later years that you pay for it. There are even retail stores now solely dedicated to correcting foot and posture problems, we even have one here in Limerick. The bottom line is the minute you start wearing shoes, it's the beginning of posture dis-alignment. In the case of an athlete, the wrong footwear or poor posture developed over a lifetime can be a huge contributory factor in injuries and other such problems. Trust me, I've done and continue to do the studies.

If you choose to go down the route of Barefoot running, or simply to wearing Barefoot footwear in an every day sense it will, over time, correct your posture. And in runners/athletes it has been proven to eradicate repetitive injuries. It is not easy to switch over, it does take time. Barefoot technology is going to be massive in the not too distant future, I know all the big boys are going down that route, however they can't copy Vivo Barefoot as it's patented, thus Vivo are the only true barefoot shoe out there at the moment.

I am saying that if you start running barefoot, having been wearing runners all your days, its not going to benefit you. I am not saying anything about posture. I couldnt give two farts about it. But unless you have running all your live long day in barefeet, to start running barefoot isnt going to do you any good.

• Advertisement

I am saying that if you start running barefoot, having been wearing runners all your days, its not going to benefit you. I am not saying anything about posture. I couldnt give two farts about it. But unless you have running all your live long day in barefeet, to start running barefoot isnt going to do you any good.
    It is going to benefit you. It will absolutely benefit you. Look at the studies and all the evidence out there, and like I said look at Lee Saxby's videos as just an example. Your posture affects your overall wellness, and it directly affects muscles, ligaments and joints. To say there is no correlation between posture and running is some ill informed statement! Correct your posture and you'll run better, it's very simple really. My response was to judosean2005 after he stated he had issues with his running. I couldn't care less what you think about posture, you are very ill informed to start with and what you've stated above is 110% incorrect. Or else you know a lot more than sports scientists and footwear industry experts, which I very much doubt to be honest.

It is going to benefit you. It will absolutely benefit you. Look at the studies and all the evidence out there, and like I said look at Lee Saxby's videos as just an example. Your posture affects your overall wellness, and it directly affects muscles, ligaments and joints. To say there is no correlation between posture and running is some ill informed statement! Correct your posture and you'll run better, it's very simple really. My response was to judosean2005 after he stated he had issues with his running. I couldn't care less what you think about posture, you are very ill informed to start with and what you've stated above is 110% incorrect. Or else you know a lot more than sports scientists and footwear industry experts, which I very much doubt to be honest.
    Look you have your own idea about running in barefeet - I have mine. I researched it, looked into myself and was told by a few athletes that its pointless running in your barefeet unless you have been doing it all your life.

Advertisement