Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

My XBL / Windows Live account got hacked 2 months ago by a Russian hacker, he managed to change the locale to Russia and spent 1600 points from my account.

I have had no end of grief getting an adequate response from MS, like the OP my account was compromised somehow but I do take security seriously so I don't have a notion how it happened (I don't have an active EA account either other than recently installing Origin for BF3).

The worst thing that's happened to me is that MS have been unable to change my locale back to Ireland, so even though I have access to my account again, my dashboard is in Cyrillic and I can only see the Russian marketplace. Somehow MS have allowed a situation to develop where a simple key press in your Windows Live account can change the country with no possibility of changing it back :mad:! Surely there should be some independent email confirmation required for such a drastic change.

A lot of people have reported a spike in recent hacking of Xbox accounts, I smell a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

If they have access to your Xbox Live account, the have access to your Windows Live ID, 9/10 the password to the Windows Live ID is the same as the email (not saying that is the case for you) so there is not much point in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Bottom line is to not fall back on microsoft to keep you secure. It's you own responsibility to keep your account safe from hacking. Have a really strong security question, set up a few trusted email accounts, and set up mobile phone password resets. It's what I do.

People could also get your details by using a packet sniffer, they could do this if they're connected to the same wireless network as you. They could read your internet traffic.

And also, if you're using trusted email addresses, don't forget to keep those strong too. I've tested my friend's xbox live accounts before, by trying to hack them. Of the 7 friends i did it too, only 1 of them had strong security.

Don't pin the blame on MS for your own mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bottom line is to not fall back on microsoft to keep you secure. It's you own responsibility to keep your account safe from hacking. Have a really strong security question, set up a few trusted email accounts, and set up mobile phone password resets. It's what I do.

People could also get your details by using a packet sniffer, they could do this if they're connected to the same wireless network as you. They could read your internet traffic.

And also, if you're using trusted email addresses, don't forget to keep those strong too. I've tested my friend's xbox live accounts before, by trying to hack them. Of the 7 friends i did it too, only 1 of them had strong security.

Don't pin the blame on MS for your own mistakes.

Dude the problem in this case lies solely with MS. In every case the accounts who have been hacked has gotten Fifa 12 DLC bought with their points and traded to another account.

EVERY SINGLE CASE.

Google "xbox live fifa hack" to see how widespread this really is. Rather than protecting there customers, MS are doing every thing they can to play this issue down.

No matter how well customers protect their accounts when the fault lies with MS there is nothing more they can do. Hell even basic net commerce security like a limit on how many times incorrect passwords can be entered, the use of a credit card CCV number for xbox live purchases is not provided nor is being able to remove credit card details or cancel a subscription without the hassle of ringing xbox support :(

But it's people's fault for having weak security on their accounts in the first place. I agree that MS should implement a stronger security in the first place, but the user is the first, and should be the last line of defense when it comes to account protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

But it's people's fault for having weak security on their accounts in the first place. I agree that MS should implement a stronger security in the first place, but the user is the first, and should be the last line of defense when it comes to account protection.

These guys seem to imply there might be more to this story yet to come out...

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/10/20/microsoft-responds-to-fifa-12-hacks/
    Normally, I’d view this as a case of Internet busybodies making up stories just to be dramatic, but too many of these stories ring true. Plus, Activision Social Media Manager Dan “One of Swords” Amrich is a victim here, and I doubt he’s the sort to tell tales.

Oh give it a rest.

Everyone of your posts in this thread has been nothing more than its all the users fault.

So having a 14 character 10 letter/4number password (now 16 as max MS allow) not used anywhere else, an xbox live account not linked to anything else, an email account that's not been hacked nor has any other account I have, a wired connection so no wifi worries, weekly virus,spam scans and checks for software updates of the only computer with web access which no one else has access to.

Yet when my xbox live account is hacked in the exact same way hundreds of other players have been and the exact same tradable DLC is bought with my xbox points its my fault and not a major issue MS are covering up? The same company with weak ass security options to prevent customers details and accounts being abused that every other net commerce site use and you still have the ****ing nerve to just blame the users!

Seriously dude get off your high horse.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    These guys seem to imply there might be more to this story yet to come out...

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/10/20/microsoft-responds-to-fifa-12-hacks/

I'd also like to add the Xbox live head of security has had there xbox live accounts hacked.

The hacker hacked into Stephen Toulouse's personally run stepto.com's account. It was no way tied to a flaw in MS's security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Just onto xbox live had to give a new email -address so i gave my partners, said an email will be sent detailing there investigating and could take up to seven days to arrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

Venom wrote: »
    Oh give it a rest.

Everyone of your posts in this thread has been nothing more than its all the users fault.

So having a 14 character 10 letter/4number password (now 16 as max MS allow) not used anywhere else, an xbox live account not linked to anything else, an email account that's not been hacked nor has any other account I have, a wired connection so no wifi worries, weekly virus,spam scans and checks for software updates of the only computer with web access which no one else has access to.

Yet when my xbox live account is hacked in the exact same way hundreds of other players have been and the exact same tradable DLC is bought with my xbox points its my fault and not a major issue MS are covering up? The same company with weak ass security options to prevent customers details and accounts being abused that every other net commerce site use and you still have the ****ing nerve to just blame the users!

Seriously dude get off your high horse.

He's right, it's not a security vulnerability on their side.

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Just onto xbox live had to give a new email -address so i gave my partners, said an email will be sent detailing there investigating and could take up to seven days to arrive

They told me the same thing on the 26th Oct and its still not arrived :)

Venom wrote: »
    They told me the same thing on the 26th Oct and its still not arrived :)

lest us know how you got on, still waiting on my end

told on 12 of november that everything will be completed in 7 days...... feckin joke still no response from them

Advertisement