Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outstanding NPPR charges

Options
  • 18-10-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

I own a one bedroom apartment which I've been letting since I moved out in 2006. I don't make any money on it, in fact I'm down quite a bit every month with service charges, etc.

This year I switched to the RAS scheme and was given a list of things I needed to comply with. One was the NPPR charge. I had genuinely never heard of it (I thought I only had to register with PRTB) but in any case I was told I just needed to pay for this year. When I registered on the NPPR website to pay I discovered outstanding payments dating back to 2009. Am I legally obliged to pay the other charges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In a nutshell yes. You are obliged to pay the fee and any interest since the fee was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm not using this as an excuse but should I have received any reminder of payment letters or are people just expected to know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Did you not hear all the radio adverts or see the newspapers over the past couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Clearly I didn't or I wouldn't have asked my original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The system isn't good enough to monitor who should be paying it, it's a case of waiting for people to hang themselves with it somehow, be that by registering with the prtb or a tenant notifying the prtb of the existence of a tenancy, or as what happened to you with RAS. Once you're on the system they'll chase you for back pay and for future payments.

IMO it was never explained very well

• Advertisement
Advertisement