Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola Motoactv sports watch

• 18-10-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Another fitness tracker gizmo announced today, the Motorola Motoactv. As well as GPS tracker, it's also an MP3 player & will work with your phone as a bluetooth headset. Interesting they're using the headset as a HRM rather than the ubquitous chest strap.

The ultra-runner Dean Karnazes looks like to be their spokesman for the product.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/motorola-motoactv-hands-on/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmm.. $250 would get you a Forerunner 305 and an iPod shuffle, with enough change left over to buy and subsequently burn a copy of Dean Karnazes latest biography.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

opus wrote: »
    Another fitness tracker gizmo announced today, the Motorola Motoactv. As well as GPS tracker, it's also an MP3 player & will work with your phone as a bluetooth headset. Interesting they're using the headset as a HRM rather than the ubquitous chest strap.

The ultra-runner Dean Karnazes looks like to be their spokesman for the product.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/motorola-motoactv-hands-on/

Hmmmm....chest straps are very annoying. Mine always falls even at the tightest. :mad: Has anyone ever released a watch with the HRM in the wrist strap? Or is there something obvious I'm missing here as to why this wouldn't work? Would arm swing throw off the readings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Hmmmm....chest straps are very annoying. Mine always falls even at the tightest. :mad: Has anyone ever released a watch with the HRM in the wrist strap? Or is there something obvious I'm missing here as to why this wouldn't work? Would arm swing throw off the readings?

Suunto have a HRM that reads the HR that way, and it's so unreliable that it's utterly useless.

Garmin themselves had a hard time getting the soft chest straps right. I guess it's not entirely straightforward.

I have an old LIDL watch that records HR via the wrist (using the back-panel on the watch). It was very flaky (the watch lost about a minute or two every hour) but the actual HRM seemed pretty accurate. It was an 'on demand' jobbie, in that you'd hold down the HR button any time you wanted to get a reading, rather than recording a constant stream of data. This makes sense as when you think about it, having the HR monitor running off the same watch battery would knacker the battery in no time.

Anyway, it was handy for measuring your resting heart rate in the mornings. It died eventually though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I remember that Lidl watch, worked great for me in the pool anyways for about a year and the readings seemed accurate. The 310xt is too bulky for the lane you could do some serious damage with that thing on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

with enough change left over to buy and subsequently burn a copy of Dean Karnazes latest biography.

I hadn't heard of him so only know what I read when I threw his name into Wikipedia, sounds like you wouldn't be a fan ;)

Must admit I like the idea of a single device that would replace the watch & old Nokia phone I use for podcasts (and get rid of a chest strap & headphone cable) but the battery life would worry me as they claim four hours with everything working & gadgets never reach their claims for battery life when new & only get worse as they age. As well as that I used to work for Motorola so have a little bit of a soft spot for them :)

Will be interested to see what Mr Rainmaker has to say in a few weeks.

I hadn't heard of him so only know what I read when I threw his name into Wikipedia, sounds like you wouldn't be a fan ;)
    Google search 'Dean Karnazes' and then click on 'images'. It'll tell you all you need to know. :)
    Will be interested to see what Mr Rainmaker has to say in a few weeks.
    You mean 'Mr Garmin'? I can guess which way his review is going to go. :)
    A device to rule them all, makes so much sense. Hopefully it works out. Music and feedback via Bluetooth and Wifi synching, would rock.

Google search 'Dean Karnazes' and then click on 'images'. It'll tell you all you need to know. :)

You mean 'Mr Garmin'? I can guess which way his review is going to go. :)
    A device to rule them all, makes so much sense. Hopefully it works out. Music and feedback via Bluetooth and Wifi synching, would rock.

In one of the strange coincidences I was in Naturesways at the w/end to stock up on mixed seeds in their 1c sale and guess who was on the cover of the healthy living magazine they always try to flog :)

For sure looking forward to seeing what DC makes of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Looks like DCRainmaker approves

"Without question – Motorola just moved the bar. Rather, they kicked the crap out of the bar. This device makes most all of the other sport watches on the market look instantly antiquated. If I was working at any sport watch company this Monday morning I’d be cancelling the morning meetings, driving to Best Buy – finding the unit, and then just using it the rest of the day. Then figuring out how to copy it and improve upon it.

Sure, there are little things that they can improve upon – some data field items primarily and TrainingPeaks-compatible CSV’s, but those are easily addressed via software. Though there is the issue of a lesser waterproofing standard used (IPX6, splash resistance – not full immersion) and questions around battery life (somewhere between 5.5 and 20 hours) – but I’ll be testing both of those for ya. Actually, the battery life test is running as we speak…"

The full review is on there now, his only real concern was the battery life. Looks to me that the bluetooth headphones would be needed as well which would drive up the cost a bit.

Pro’s:

- Amazingly clean user interface
    - Easily records your runs, bikes, walks, other gym equipment
    - Supports ANT+, Bluetooth Low Energy, Bluetooth sensors
    - Supports Bluetooth headphones wirelessly
    - Allows data export to CSV
    - Connects via Wifi to automatically upload workouts

Con’s:

- Waterproofing is of questionable integrity
    - No audible alerts without headphones
    - No vibration engine for vibration alerts
    - Battery level seems lower than it should be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone ended up getting this?how much was it? and where in ireland can you get them?I've only seen it on amazon so far and as cool a device as it sound I don't really want to pay 249 sterling for it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I'm also interested in this and wondering if anyone is using it. I ended up getting an Xperia Active as a pressie instead only to realise I don't like running with it (haven't given up on it totally though). If I ever find myself in a position where I can afford another treat, the Motoactv still sounds very tempting!

I read this in the comments on DC Rainmaker's review and it made me wonder if it would be worthless (no maps) if I got one abroad as I don't think it's been launched here officially?
    RE: Other countries for maps

The official response from Motorola on this specific point is:

"We are capable of putting in maps for any country, and for now, it is limited to countries we are launching into. As we launch additional countries, we will add support for maps in those countries.

Data is sourced from OSM, but OSM files can not be used directly on the device. We pre-digest the OSM maps before loading them on the device. This makes displaying the maps easier for the device, improving performance and battery life."

gnu wrote: »
    I'm also interested in this and wondering if anyone is using it. I ended up getting an Xperia Active as a pressie instead only to realise I don't like running with it (haven't given up on it totally though). If I ever find myself in a position where I can afford another treat, the Motoactv still sounds very tempting!

I read this in the comments on DC Rainmaker's review and it made me wonder if it would be worthless (no maps) if I got one abroad as I don't think it's been launched here officially?
    RE: Other countries for maps

The official response from Motorola on this specific point is:

"We are capable of putting in maps for any country, and for now, it is limited to countries we are launching into. As we launch additional countries, we will add support for maps in those countries.

Data is sourced from OSM, but OSM files can not be used directly on the device. We pre-digest the OSM maps before loading them on the device. This makes displaying the maps easier for the device, improving performance and battery life."
    It just means you won't have mapping available. Should be able to use all the other functions. I'm sure they'll eventually release a tool so you can self-provision the maps, or else someone will provide a hack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I got work to buy one so I could play with it. Perk of the job :). I must say that its not bad, still prefer my 305 though. Software can be a bit buggy at times like most android devices. At the CES show they showed that they had earphones that read your HR rather than wearing a strap which I was very much interested in. Now I don't know if they ever went on sale or were just pulled quickly from the market but I can get them. I don't know with other bluetooth low energy straps they work with but one will probably cost you about 80 euro or so. Having the GPS, music etc all in one unit is a good idea however I think you really would need the BT head set they you can't buy anywhere with it. It would be a pain to have a wire running from your wrist up your arm for the earphones. I had to rest the unit a few times when using it as it would pair with something get into a state and then no way to recover except complete reset. I have only have had to do that to my 305 once or twice. So its like 250 euro and then HRM. Still can't find a watch that will make me fork out compared to my 305 which the only issue I have with it is time to lock on to the sats. WiFi sync sounds great but it kills the battery. i think the watch strap is even an extra. its defo closer to what should be offered and even if the other manufactures take a little bit from it would be great. the power song thing is a bit gimicky, the touch screen is not as responsive as similar sized devices like the ipod nano. it feels like a proof of concept product as in its bit rough around the edges yet but if they sort out. interestingly http://phandroid.com/2011/12/28/motoactv-app-hacked-to-work-with-non-motrola-devices/ also they have rooted the devices which means that maybe in the future some really cool interface could be used to improve on Motorola's offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'd fork out that much for it as it stands now even if I had the money to spare. I seem to remember reading they had abandoned plans for those earphones - sounded cool though.

Read yesterday they've cut $100 from the price, guess people saw it as too expensive.
    The MOTOACTV Android powered smartwatch may not be as successful as many had hoped, but that may be due to the high price point Motorola and others have been charging. We’re not sure if Motorola has seen the error of its ways or is simply trying to clear out some inventory, but you can now purchase the MOTOACTV Android smartwatch for $100 less.

The price of the 8GB model has been cut to $149.99 while the 16GB model will cost you a cool $199.99. At $299.99, the Multi-Sport Edition is still pretty pricey, but it’s a significantly better deal than the $399.99 Motorola was charging just yesterday.

From here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Interestingly on his Twitter feed DCRainmaker posted:

"Just e-mailed Motorola, declined to confirm that Motoactv is 'discontinued'...I think we know how this story ends."

I gather from that post and his 'know' in the industry that the Motoactv is being cleared from current stocks (hence reduced prices) and being knocked on the head.

Interestingly on his Twitter feed DCRainmaker posted:

"Just e-mailed Motorola, declined to confirm that Motoactv is 'discontinued'...I think we know how this story ends."

I gather from that post and his 'know' in the industry that the Motoactv is being cleared from current stocks (hence reduced prices) and being knocked on the head.

Rev 2 more likely as this was a excellent first entry into the market. You can't make a splash without getting something wrong and then getting the feedback. I personally think that they will actually release a watch. Now as google are driving it may be a case to push what they are good at rather than diversify as the google business model has gone through in recent years. This product was ahead of its day but still lacked much of the alternatives bread and butter offerings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm in the market for something like this since my nano died today :(,Is it worth buying yet?

I'm in the market for something like this since my nano died today :(,Is it worth buying yet?

Its a good idea but go over to the Motorola forums and have a look at problems people are having. I would get one if it was a replacement for my watch and ipod but it ain't. I tried one out for a bit but it ain't great.

• Advertisement

As suggested by DC Rainmaker, there's a good chance that the product (and product line) has been discontinued. So I'd wait a while and see if that is the case, before buying one.

Their biggest issue with the watch was a battery life of 1-3 hours. This was addressed (kind of) in a firmware update, where they introduced a marathon mode, that does sampling (e.g. only reading GPS co-ordinates every 3 seconds), with limited accessories connected. So they have extended the battery life, by reducing the accuracy and usefulness of the watch.

It'd be great if there was a v2, as it had the potential to be a really great watch which ticked all the boxes, but.. unless they can make it more usable (for the purpose for which it was intended) it'll be more of a collectible. :)

I'll leave it so I think and maybe just get another nano?

wasn't there an issue with gps over here or something?something about it not tracking your route?

rom wrote: »
    Its a good idea but go over to the Motorola forums ain't great.

you mean the official forums ya?

wasn't there an issue with gps over here or something?something about it not tracking your route?
    You mean with the Motorolla? GPS works the same in Ireland as it does anywhere else in the world. The only problem I can imagine that would have just affected users 'over here', would be mapping. The Motorolla used OSM maps (and came with some pre-loaded), and you cannot download additional maps straight from the OSM community and load them up on the device. AFAIK, they (Motorolla) did make an app available that would allow you to download OSM maps and convert them to a format compatible with the unit (but I could be wrong).

you mean the official forums ya?

yes for example : they use a propriety file format that you have to use some guys hacky online converter that breaks when they change the format to make it into a format that you can use say with garmin connect/ runkeeper etc. Think of it as buying songs from iTunes when you could only use them on your iPod. It means you can move to a competitor if you need to. Good for them, not for you. Also you can use bluetooth headset with it but the earphone socket is not water proof and they don't provided any gromits to EU customers so that you can make it. Now we are talking about a less than 10 cent piece of plastic here. This watch is like a Alfa Romeo, a labor of love without the beauty. I like things to work and drive a toyota and use a garmin watch and so does a lot of other people :)

Another big problem with this watch. So I have been having problems with my Garmin HRM. I get no readings a lot of the time but it works itself out after a mile or two. Spit doesn't help. Anyways so I went back and tried the strap with the Motorola Motoactv that I have access to. It picked it up straight away. I am like great. It says 72 beats. I went for a fast walk for a few mins and it still saying 72 beats. I conclude the motorola watch is pure junk. It is using the last data point and in my case where it only received one it would be wildly inaccurate. At least with the garmin flat lining it is telling you the truth rather than saying it has valid data when it could be a few mins old as it was in my case. This design choice makes the HRM on this watch very poor. Just seen that it is endorsed by Dean Karnazes now. They had me fooled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

rom wrote: »
    yes for example : they use a propriety file format that you have to use some guys hacky online converter that breaks when they change the format to make it into a format that you can use say with garmin connect/ runkeeper etc. Think of it as buying songs from iTunes when you could only use them on your iPod. It means you can move to a competitor if you need to. Good for them, not for you. Also you can use bluetooth headset with it but the earphone socket is not water proof and they don't provided any gromits to EU customers so that you can make it. Now we are talking about a less than 10 cent piece of plastic here. This watch is like a Alfa Romeo, a labor of love without the beauty. I like things to work and drive a toyota and use a garmin watch and so does a lot of other people :)

The one I bought had a gromit with it.

Fair play though, the garmin doesn't work for you and this doesn't work for you. If I was to troubleshoot this I know where I'd start

The one I bought had a gromit with it.

Fair play though, the garmin doesn't work for you and this doesn't work for you. If I was to troubleshoot this I know where I'd start
    Good idea but removing myself from the equation is probably not the best solution ;) The problem is the garmin is the HRM has something wrong with it. I tried with my wife's one last night and it's fine so I ordered another one. It's just a pitty that this watch doesn't let data expire quickly like the garmin does. Could be another reason why the team for this at motorola were disbanded. No one wants to wear a HRM strap also and their HRM earphones never saw the light of day. Pitty. It is still an ok watch for the money but I had my time over again I would just get a polar.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

I have the Motoactv and I like 90% of what it has to offer. There are a few things I don't like but I had a Garmin 305 Forerunner before that and absolutely despised it but I've seen Garmins since I bought the Motoactv and they look much different to the 305 I had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Sounds like you need a Timex ;)

Advertisement