Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tethering

Options
  • 18-10-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I recently bought a Vodafone smartphone (Smart White - from Carphone Warehouse) that claims it can be used for tethering.

Does this mean I can use it in place of my existing internet connection (Wimax) -like a modem?
    Would the upload and download speeds be comparable to the 1 Mb I have at the moment ?

i am not talking about using it on the move so much as at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 InquiringMind

With decent mobile reception you can get up to 7.6mb speeds from your smartphone AFAIK but you'd need to check your download limits or you could get a nasty surprise on your next bill.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I's possible, but not advisable.

It will be relatively slow compared to a prpoer broadband connection, you'll use up your allowance much more quickly than browsing on your phone(since you won't be viewing mobile pages), and the battery won't last at all.

As a last resort, it's extremely handy, but not really advisable for day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

Hi all,

I have a data add on of 1GB monthly.Now I have added a tethering add on effective from 21 November next as I am going to be in Europe.
    Are there any traps when using the phone plugged in via a USB cable to an Asus eeepc on XP.
    I mean Access Node Point traps (APN) resulting in savage bills.

This happened last trip before I knew it was an extra at all!
    So I hope I am covered for light usage this time around!

The phone is recognised by the netbook as soon as connected, this bit works well, it just some confirmation of the various APN's it might connect to that worries me, as I could not establish easily what noe was being used last time?

Advertisement