Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exterior wall insulation

• 18-10-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Recently gone Sale Agreed on a house.

Just wondering if anyone knows about getting Exterior Wall Insulation done to the front and back (it's a mid-terrace).

I know there is a grant you can get for €4000. Who do you apply to to get it? Does anyone know around how much it would cost me with a grant?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

go on to seai website....no point in just doing front and back of house if heat escaping through the attic windows etc Get someone to take a look at it before you go spending BER assessor would help

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

Recently gone Sale Agreed on a house.

Just wondering if anyone knows about getting Exterior Wall Insulation done to the front and back (it's a mid-terrace).

I know there is a grant you can get for €4000. Who do you apply to to get it? Does anyone know around how much it would cost me with a grant?

Thanks!

Please be very careful if you're going with external insulation. We got our home insulated by what we can only call a shower of cowboys and we got them from the SEI list of approved contractors!!!! Along with countless other problems with the job, the plaster finish cracked and fell off the walls. It has cost us thousands to get the whole job redone. Don't just go for the cheapest quote. Whoever you do use go and inspect their work. Knock on the door to check with the owner of the house that they actually did the work they're showing you!!!! Better yet, ask to see a job in progress as then you can be sure they're doing it. Then go back to see the finished job and speak to the owner. We don't want to scare you but the shower who did ours are still registered with the SEI but are now using a different name because we won a court case against them. They liquidated part of the company to avoid paying the court order but the same people are still trading from the same place just using a slightly different name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

External Insulation is the optimum retrofit solution, assuming that you have rendered rather than brickwork walls. Additionally, replacing the windows at the same time allows a better detailing.

Currently being quoted around €10,000 for an average sized semi - detached house that I am working on. That works out at approx. €6,000 after the grant, which is value for money.

House is in Dublin 14 and should be completed in early December if you would like to take a look ....

Advertisement