Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booting from usb --eVGA 680i

Options
  • 18-10-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody. One quick question. How in the name of all that is holy, can you boot from a USB? I know you go into BIOS and that stuff to change it around a little bit to make the computer boot the USB first but in my system, I just can't find where the USB location is (in other words, I can't select the USB to boot first, I can't find it). My mobo is a 680i SLi and I've just done a research and it seems that it does have that problem. I think, but I'm really not sure. Thanks for everyone who could help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Can you disable everything except the USB device in the Boot order menu in the bios? If so try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Can you disable everything except the USB device in the Boot order menu in the bios? If so try that.

Well I can't even 'choose' USB device in the boot order. I can't see it anywhere in the BIOS. It's as if the computer doesn't recognise a USB device.

Have you the manual for the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I often see pcs that dpnt let you set it in the bios to boot from usb, but you can hit a button on startup for boot options (think its f8 on mine)

Yeah, F8 on mine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

on mine its F11 and on my server its ESC.

is the software on the USB stick definitely bootable?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Some older mobos just don't support it I think, I have a 750i chipset mobo and I don't think it supports booting from USB devices either, also I would gather a 750i would be newer than a 680i one. Its a good few years old now, I baught it when the C2Q Q6600 were just out, 3+years now I'd say

Nick

Hey all. I do have the manual but it doesn't say anything about that. Also, I have access to the boot order through BIOS AND I can also press ESC during startup to go to the boot order directly. I tried to choose the unchoosable USB drive both ways. No luck. Any more suggestions? Any software I could use that could do this? I am quite sure about the software on the USB. Pretty damn sure about that because some of my friends already used it.

Hey all. I do have the manual but it doesn't say anything about that. Also, I have access to the boot order through BIOS AND I can also press ESC during startup to go to the boot order directly. I tried to choose the unchoosable USB drive both ways. No luck. Any more suggestions? Any software I could use that could do this? I am quite sure about the software on the USB. Pretty damn sure about that because some of my friends already used it.

If you managed to boot another USB device on the 680i board then its possible the one your trying now isn't bootable!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    If you managed to boot another USB device on the 680i board then its possible the one your trying now isn't bootable!

Nick

I never tried to boot a USB device from my 680i before though

• Advertisement

I never tried to boot a USB device from my 680i before though

Read my post #8, It could be the motherboard doesn't support USB booting full stop. I am fairly sure my 750i one doesn't,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Read my post #8, It could be the motherboard doesn't support USB booting full stop. I am fairly sure my 750i one doesn't,

Nick

yeah it really could be that. any other solutions you could offer me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yeah it really could be that. any other solutions you could offer me? :(
    Use a DVD instead?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Use a DVD instead?

Well that's actually another problem I have. My DVD drive sort just doesn't work. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but when I tried to burn a DVD before it just doesn't seem to do so. Really not sure why.

OT: if I try burn a CDRW/CDR from my DVD drive, should it work?

Advertisement