Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood burner for the Van

• 18-10-2011 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    Does anyone know if someone in Ireland is knocking out wood burners for Campers? Like the homemade gas bottle burners.. if not whats the best place in the Uk for them and can they be sent over here?
    Thanks...
    Shane - v cold in the Van :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I imagine it'd be a lot easier source and safely install a Propex Gas burner , or an Eberspacher or Webasto diesel burner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Frequently used in small boats, lots of names and suggestions from this UK forum http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

A guy on ukhippy.com makes pretty cool ones and sure you could get it delivered from England if stuck.If you search burner on that site you'll find some interesting reading and pictures anyway.

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/woodburners.htm
    http://www.canvasandcast.com/category_Cast_stoves_1.htm
    both in UK.

There are people doing gas bottles but I don't have any numbers. I think the going rate is about €100 for those. I'd try asking around art colleges.

remember to flash surroundings within 0.5m with heat shield (metal sheets; tin/checkerplate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If you do get one make sure to buy one/ get one made, make sure that draws air from outside. Also get a carbon monoxide alarm.

• Advertisement

I've had the wendy from windy smithy installed since two hours after i had a tax disk that said "camper" 18 months ago. It makes little difference that the draw is from inside because the door seals are in sh1te on the bottom of the side and back. I've never gotten around to fixing them either because it feeds the heat loss so well I wouldn't notice until less than 3degrees, in which case i just use draft excluders and more turf.
    Also I threw out my carbon monoxide alarm after 6 months cos it was taking up valuable real estate, and the draw on that burner is so good the only time i get smoke back into the van is when the wind blows it from the chimney down the open skylights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I've had the wendy from windy smithy installed since two hours after i had a tax disk that said "camper" 18 months ago. It makes little difference that the draw is from inside because the door seals are in sh1te on the bottom of the side and back. I've never gotten around to fixing them either because it feeds the heat loss so well I wouldn't notice until less than 3degrees, in which case i just use draft excluders and more turf.
    Also I threw out my carbon monoxide alarm after 6 months cos it was taking up valuable real estate, and the draw on that burner is so good the only time i get smoke back into the van is when the wind blows it from the chimney down the open skylights.

What kind of van do you have?.

Remember not to leave your lighter on the hot plate. ;)

Advertisement