Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 150MB fibre optic Leopardstown/Sandyford

• 18-10-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Has anyone availed of this new service yet and can share their experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I ordered it 3 weeks ago.
    Haven't so much as received an installation date from them.

Starting to get a little peeved at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ordered it 3 weeks ago, They came to install it yesterday and just my luck i wasn't here. I'll let you know what it's like when i get it in, Could be another 3 weeks now i suppose.

Apparently they're coming to install on monday!
    Hurray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Apparently they're coming to install on monday!
    Hurray.

Well did they install it?

• Advertisement

The Eircom guys ran the fibre into the house, and installed a Huawei ONT inside next to the old Eircom master socket.
    I can plug into it and check the line stats and all that, but it doesn't look like they've completed the provisioning of my line yet.

So no Internet access.
    Magnet say the completion date for the order is tomorrow, but I haven't even received a modem from them yet.

Will wait to see if anything happens tomorrow.
    So close...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Eircom are in my house at the moment running the fibre in and installing the ONT, So hopefully not to far away either now.

EDIT: Rang magnet after eircom had installed it all in my house and they said they are sending out the modems next week and that's when i'd get mine, So i don't know where they got today out of for the above poster

I got my router yesterday.
    Its a very shiney looking Thomson jobbie, with 4 LAN ports, 802.11n Wireless and Ethernet WAN + VDSL WAN port. They're probably using the same model for the FTTH and FTTC customers, makes life easier for their support agents.
    Initial impressions, its fast. Too fast infact, my poor little NAS only has 100mbit LAN ports and its flatlined.
    I had my NAS pulling down a backup from work, and was still able to work away happily on my PC streaming videos, as if nothing else was happening on the connection.
    Very impressed.
    Sadly, the router is so locked down, you can't even change the wireless SSID or WPA Key. You can change port forwards and stuff like that, so its great for gamers at least.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Whats speeds are you getting? Want to post some www.speedtest.net results?

Zascar wrote: »
    Whats speeds are you getting? Want to post some www.speedtest.net results?

Speedtest.net is too unreliable. Too many variables that could impact the reading at these speeds.
    I put a router in between the Magnet router and myself and it maxed out at 97mbit/s throughput. The LAN ports on the Magnet router are only 100meg ports, so its impossible to get a full 150mbit/s on a single threaded single host.
    I'll devise some sort of dual hosted download to really push it a bit later.

• Advertisement

Speedtest.net is too unreliable. Too many variables that could impact the reading at these speeds.
    I put a router in between the Magnet router and myself and it maxed out at 97mbit/s throughput. The LAN ports on the Magnet router are only 100meg ports, so its impossible to get a full 150mbit/s on a single threaded single host.
    I'll devise some sort of dual hosted download to really push it a bit later.

Just post it anyway let's see

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you downloaded a really popular torrent what speed in mb/sec would you get?

Right, doing this scientifically now (I know, not the way things are usually done around here, but I'd rather be accurate) ;)

iperf is the tool in use here. From home to a server hosted in an Irish datacenter.

Here are some upload speed results. 5 Threads concurrently.
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 6] 0.0-30.2 sec 28.8 MBytes 8.00 Mbits/sec
    [ 7] 0.0-30.2 sec 15.5 MBytes 4.31 Mbits/sec
    [ 8] 0.0-30.3 sec 27.1 MBytes 7.51 Mbits/sec
    [ 5] 0.0-30.3 sec 18.1 MBytes 5.01 Mbits/sec
    [ 9] 0.0-30.4 sec 13.8 MBytes 3.79 Mbits/sec
    [SUM] 0.0-30.4 sec 103 MBytes 28.5 Mbits/sec

So 28.5Mbit/sec, thats pretty close to the 30Mbit/s that's stated as the upload on this product.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

@ Any one who has this product - I hate you, I truely, truely hate you.
    Zascar wrote: »
    If you downloaded a really popular torrent what speed in mb/sec would you get?

It would have to be extremely well seeded to max out this connection. Using direct downloads form a high bandwidth server would probably be best.

Tried to run a few concurrent download tests, and just ended up unearthing another 100meg bottleneck in my home network setup.
    I'll post some download results once I'm sure I'm measuring the right thing. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tried to run a few concurrent download tests, and just ended up unearthing another 100meg bottleneck in my home network setup.
    I'll post some download results once I'm sure I'm measuring the right thing. :)

Did you ever think you'd see the day where your local network was bottlenecking your broadband speed.

Okay, I've managed to top it out at 137MBit/s
    Using 6 download threads across 3 hosts.

Here's a realtime graph from my router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is this available in Sandyford Village?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

What's the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Is this available in Sandyford Village?

Doesn't look like it - the current availability maps are here: http://www.magnet.ie/fibre/

• Advertisement

Just wondering whats the story with the router gave us as it only gets 100mb/s and the eircom fibre customers are getting 150mb/s because they have the Thomson TG799vn and we only got the 789 which can only support 100mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

Hi,
    Am in Sandyford myself and went for the high speed broadband plus phone package.
    Am thrilled with the broadband speeds but it is impossible to dial any touch tone numbers - the key presses are ignored.
    e.g. AIB 24 hour banking for example
    (I even bought a new handset directly connected to the modem -> same issue)
    This is a major pain as I often have to dial expensive touch tone numbers from my mobile.
    I've raised an issue with Magnet but it's been going on for months now with no resolution in sight.
    Have others noticed this issue also?
    Rgds
    Peter

Just spent an hour on a mobile phone to a phone number that requires key presses - because Magnet cannot fix the issue.
    It is costing me a fortune.

Their "level 3" so-called customer support have spent 5/6 months unable to fix the issue.
    They keep "trying to change the router configuration" with no success.

I am at the end of my tether and want to switch to Eircom.

Magnet finally fixed the issue.
    Apparently another customer also had the same problem.
    According to customer support the fix involved was an engineer logging in to the Modem and "saving a command".

I'll stick with Magnet now as I've got a fully functional phone and a cracking broadband setup.

Advertisement