Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dooms day comet finally passes by

Options
  • 18-10-2011 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hopefully we won't hear more of this crap for a while
    'DoomsDay Comet' Elenin to swing by earth today (well, 22 million miles away)

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 6:20 AM on 16th October 2011

The 'Doomsday Comet' Elenin will make its closest approach to earth today, something conspiracy theorists have long feared.

The comet started breaking up in August after being blasted by a huge solar storm so tomorrow, when it comes to within 22 million miles of earth, it will be a stream of debris rather than an intact comet.

Astronomer Don Yeomans of the Near-Earth Object Programme Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, told Space.com: 'Folks are having trouble finding it, so I think it's probably dead and gone.'

Doomsday comet: Elenin will pass by the earth tomorrow but will mainly consist of debris

Journey: NASA today stepped in to try to allay baseless fears that a comet heading into the solar system from deep space will trigger disaster on Earth

That means anyone who wants to get a glimpse of the comet on Sunday will have to have their binoculars or telescopes out.

Previous rumours about Elenin said the comet was going to be a major threat to earth and set off havoc by causing major earthquakes and tsunamis.

Others said that Elenin was not a comet at all, but in fact a rogue planet called Nibiru that would bring about the end times on Earth. 

But Mr Yeomans said that all these theories were nonsense: 'Elenin was a second-rate, wimpy little comet that never should have been noted for anything, really. t was not even a bright one.'

Asteroid: One day after the Elenin flyby, the small asteroid 2009 TM8 will zip close by but, like Elenin, it poses no risk of striking earth

According to Space.com, Elenin's remains will not be the only objects about to make their closest pass of Earth.

One day after the Elenin flyby, the small asteroid 2009 TM8 will zip close by. Like Elenin, it poses no risk of striking earth.

Elenin was discovered by Russian astronomer Leonid Elenin in December 2010.

It never posed any threat to life on Earth, Mr Yeomans said. It was far too small to exert any appreciable influence on our planet unless it managed to hit us.

'Just driving to work every day in my subcompact car is going to have far more of a gravitational effect on Earth than this comet ever will,' he said.

Elenin's supposed connection to earthquakes was just a correlation, and a weak one at that, he added. There is nothing to worry about.

'It's time to move on to the next Armageddon,' he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2049612/Doomsday-Comet-Elenin-swing-earth-tomorrow-22million-miles-away.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This is a science forum, is nowhere safe from the rantings of that rag the Daily Mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

coylemj wrote: »
    This is a science forum, is nowhere safe from the rantings of that rag the Daily Mail?

Listen, there has been thread after thread on this bull**** "elenin" doom comet, since it has passed us, I decided to post about it.

Here is to your liking?

http://www.space.com/13302-doomsday-comet-elenin-pieces-earth-flyby.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sure we're safe from this but what about Niburu and the galactic alignment that's going to kill us all next year. Huh. What about that science boy????? Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go make myself a tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sure we're safe from this but what about Niburu and the galactic alignment that's going to kill us all next year. Huh. What about that science boy????? Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go make myself a tinfoil hat.

Your Galactic alignments next year pale into insignificance when compared to the power of the Force Rapture on Friday when the supreme Jedi lord returns to earth and takes his followers up into the heavens on his Corellian Transport fluffy white cloud!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Calibos wrote: »
    Your Galactic alignments next year pale into insignificance when compared to the power of the Force Rapture on Friday when the supreme Jedi lord returns to earth and takes his followers up into the heavens on his Corellian Transport fluffy white cloud!!
    Calibos I'm shocked :eek: I thought you would know enough about science to know people can't ride on clouds, when the rapture comes we will be lifted up by the hand of God herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

when the rapture comes we will be lifted up by the hand of God herself.

When you get Raptured, can I have your telescope? :D

When you get Raptured, can I have your telescope? :D
    Ok, My solicitor is writing as we speak, getting all ready for tomorrow (hope it's after lunch, I like lunch), though he says my Will may not be binding as I won't technically be dead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calibos I'm shocked :eek: I thought you would know enough about science to know people can't ride on clouds, when the rapture comes we will be lifted up by the hand of God herself.

OMG I just realised!! You know the way when you are raptured your clothes are left on the ground??

Obi Wan was Raptured!!!!

:D

Calibos wrote: »
    Obi Wan was Raptured!!!!

:D
    Dam that then, that was not only in a galaxy for away but a long time ago, the rapture has already happened, looks like we will defiantly be having lunch tomorrow. :D

Advertisement