Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed on career choices!

• 18-10-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm in 6th year atm and so confused about what to do next year in college. I have way too many things that I'm interested in and I can't decide which to go for.
    My passion is music and drama and ideally I would love to be a performer but I don't know if I'm limiting myself if I just do a BMus?
    I also love working with children so I've thought about Primary Teaching and Children's Nursing but am worried that I won't find work in these areas.
    Finally I really like science especially chemistry and feel that I could get a secure job in this area but I don't want to have the disappointment hanging over me of not following my passion. Please help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

You could look into some kind of music therapy if you think you'd like that. :) It would combine science and music as well as giving you a chance to work with children (or adults).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irishrevert

Hello there, its a tricky time and we all go through this. My advice is to do what you love best. Do what you love and love what you do! you cant go far wrong. Yes work and study may be hard and you get tired but at the end of the day if you get a buzz from Music and perfoming go for it. My love is Music, I studied a BA in Music and German and went teaching internationally straight out of Uni and gained experience and after 3 years went to UK and did a PGCE in Music and did teaching there for 2 years GCSE/A level music and the experience of teaching was a whole new skills set. Its always important to keep you personal music interests and skills going and develop and expand this outside of the classroom and out of your comfort zone. I continued to teach in private schools in the middle east and over the years gained expeience in a variety of systems British and American and worked with people from different cultures, religions and it was a fantatsic experience. You can always tutor privately. Music thearpy is very limited in this country, I think you can do it in Limerick. My last year at uni I did performance and a module in Music Therapy and it was very interesting and I thought I would teach to gain some experience and maybe in the future do a masters in it. Best of luck and take it step by step, Rome wasnt built in a day. Best of luck and fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd lean towards doing occupational therapy and then going on to do a masters in music therapy then if I were you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Hey. What sort of music is it that you do? Im very into music and was tempted to go down that route but knew the chances of a job at the end of it was slim. My parents who are both full time musicians advised me to do something else and still keep playing on the side. Which I have done. Did Science and now in my last year of my Phd. I do lots of instrumental playing and teaching (14 hours a week) and various gigs so its definitely do-able.

I'd advise you to do Science/Chemsitry while keeping music/acting going on the side e.g. join societies etc. Best of luck with the LC

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

Thanks so much! I'm a classical singer but I do musical theatre too. So hard making decisions when there's so much to do in 6th year! Think I'll probably end up choosing arts! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement