Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with renting neighbours - biohazard

Options
  • 18-10-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Ok, biohazard may be a bit of an over the top statement...BUT - As an owner occupier living next door to an apartment where there is, shall we say- hygiene issues, is there anything I can do / place to go for advice?
    Landlord is happily living elsewhere and tenant is next door to me with god knows what going on in there - all I will say here is it involves insects.

I don't trust anyone to do a job right - so I guess what I'm saying is that if action needs to be taken, is there anything I can do to make sure it gets done properly - ie: solicitors to compell landlord to do something re infestation that is causing stress/hassle/cost to me....surely there is "rights" of some kind to live in clean and hygienic environment??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Is there a management company for the apartments? If so, have you spoken to them?

What have you tried so far, have you spoken to the neighbours (tenants or landlord)?

Probably need a bit more info before we can give advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are we talking abour a build-up of rubbish? Talk to the council litter warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Environmental Health Officer for infestation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

Ok - did a bit more digging and the situation is a lot more serious. I haven't even lived here yet and this is happening.

Spoke to management company and they are trying to get in touch with landlord who doesn't live in the locality. There is a commerical premises in the block, spoke to the manager who had a very blase attitude to it all and also informed me they had issues with rubbish being thrown on paths and onto their property from above.

I'll come out and say here what my discovery was - cockroaches. :(

So now i find out there is that issue, and also a rubbish issue - all seems to be coming from said neighbour mentioned in first post.
    I have no comeback now as closing is done, the problem is mine now - but I am thinking HSE and Environmental Health officer.

it going to be war

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

w@ll3gurl wrote: »
    There is a commerical premises in the block, spoke to the manager who had a very blase attitude to it all and also informed me they had issues with rubbish being thrown on paths and onto their property from above.
    Get onto the county council about the commercial premises littering, and see if their attitude changes?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Get onto the county council about the commercial premises littering, and see if their attitude changes?

No, the commerical premises (spoke to staff there today) said they had issues with the upstairs neighbour throwing waste/rubbish down on their garden/path area, out of windows on top of them. (EDIT: Sorry syco I see your point now - get onto council anyway maybe, although apparently they "had problems" before but the commerical unit hasn't been "littered on" for a while now. Lady didn't seem to bothered about the cockroach issue - "we didnt see any" - THEY COME OUT AT NIGHT!!!

Can't believe they haven't reported it. I told her that there is also cockroaches because the man confirmed my apartment is NOT the source. He said that he can eradicate the issue in mine, but to effectively treat it the whole block needs professional review.

Any point in getting on to my solicitor to say I might have a new project for him?? Livid now - paying mortgage and can't move in all because of disgusting neighbours who have evidently been a nuisance for some time.

Mgt company said to put it all in writing and they will start a file. Management company is also trying to get in contact with the landlord of the tenant next door; but apparently they do not live in a localilty.

Got in touch with Environmental Health Officer.

Lesson 1 to potential buyers - get a pest control company to inspect the premises. Best 120 quid you will ever spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

This is my experience being an owner occupier living beside tennants with landlords who basically couldn't care less....... Tennants for weeks put their rubbish in all of their bins - green/brown/black. Once these were full to the brim their rubbish bags were dumped beside the bins. Each week they would try putting the bins out to be collected but they were left by the council as they can't be ar$ed paying the 10.50 (now 6.50) collection fee. So now cats/foxes get at the dumped rubbish & stinking rotting food/nappies etc strewn all over the pathway - my access area. Meanwhile rubbish building up & they start trying to put their rubbis in MY bins - so I promptly take the bags out & place it back on their doorstep with a note asking them to "please use your own bins" on it.

I take photos of this & mail them to the management company who tells me that they have contacted the litter warden. 3 weeks later nothing has happened so I ask the Mgt Co to contact the landlord - they have no contact details as the landlord won't give them!!! I ask ya - seriously! They contact the litter warden again & then the rubbish is removed. SO now the empty bins are now full again & bags appearing on the ground again so another call is due to the Mgt Co. It's so upsetting - I am absolutely mortified if anyone has to call to my home & I now deter people from doing so - where I am living looks like a tenament site. I don't understand how people can live like that

misschoo, sorry to hear about your problems with rubbish. its awful stressful things like that. I haven't even been able to move into my place yet and I have all this nonsense.

Seems other apartment has been treated a month ago. Mine last week. but last week all parties- management company, environmental health and pest control company - agreed it was important the whole block is treated to eradicate the problem fully.

Now the EHO are saying if the commercial premises hasn't seen any cockroaches they dont need to have it treated, the management company said the pest control company told them the same - everyone is back tracking. It's all very much "he said, she said" and nobody is taking the bull by the horns. I dont know what to do anymore.:(:mad:

Advertisement