Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Mentor

Options
  • 18-10-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm reading Brody Sweeney's book at the moment and he speaks alot about having a business mentor. I would like to get some thoughts on this.

I've looked online at mentors Ireland which i presume you have to pay for. Does anyone here have a business mentor and how do they find it?

Cheers
    Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Ive met bobby kerr.. he does this sort but it does cost substantial money for his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Great stuff! Do let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

There are a lot of people passing themselves off as business mentors, but there are some great people that really engage with your business and can be great for throwing ideas and issues at. Starting a business can be very lonely and you can't often confide in people in your business or family about things that are sensitive.

You have to leverage your connections and go to every event that where there might be the potential of meeting interesting people. I just met a business mentor who seems genuinely engaging and interested. I was encouraged by a friend who he helped out in different circumstances. I also have a meeting on Friday with someone with a lot of business experience in publishing, marketing and agriculture - which is closely related to my business. Often you have to try to offer something to people, even if you can't find something, make the effort, to bring them in. If people think that you are genuine and are not just interested in getting something, they will help you more often than not, even if it is just a chat over a coffee in a quiet* cafe. These people do often want something in return, but not in a negative sense, only in the sense that them engaging with you on your business takes away from time spent on their own affairs, so getting to know them and finding a way to help them, even just by connecting them with a lead or whatever, really helps to build the relationship. These things are relationships though, and like dating or friendships, you can't expect them to fall into place miraculously. There are no formal routes that will get you a mentor, it is all about making as many connections in or around your industry or in small business networks as possible, just putting yourself out there.

This all sounds vague, but that is because it isn't easy to find the right people. My best mentor has been an old friend from when I was a teenager, who when I randomly bumped into him last summer, happened to be on his second tech start-up and had recently been through all of the uncertainty and dilemmas that I was going through. So he felt he wanted to provide the support and guidance that he never got. It has taken me a year and a half of work on my business to find a small group of people who I feel I can talk to as I don't have anyone in my immediate circle that I would feel I could talk to about my particular issues - as my business is quite unusual and what works for me is anathema to most older people in business.

Just keep concentrating on your business, networking and talking to people as much as possible. Learn about other people as much as possible and every person who you talk to will likely be able to put you onto two or three individuals who might be able to help you out.

Don't pay anyone until you have built a relationship with them over a couple of months and they have shown themselves to be able to provide you with valuable insights. Paid mentorship causes conflicts of interests so you have to be confident of the person's genuine intent.

Read the financial times on the weekend, there is an entrepreneurship section where one guy, every week, talks about different elements of mentorship.

Good Luck OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tina m

Dublin City Enterprise Board have a mentorship scheme that is very good and you only pay a small admin fee (think it's around €60 in total).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

tina m wrote: »
    Dublin City Enterprise Board have a mentorship scheme that is very good and you only pay a small admin fee (think it's around €60 in total).
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

any mentors down in the limerick area

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

On LinkedIn there is a group called ProBono mentoring & advice open forum. You can ask general questions on the site or you can arrange to have a private discussion with one of the volunteers. It is free but there is a limit as to how much time they can give but it might be helpful as a first port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

One man for the job is Blaize Brosnan. He holds practical managers workshops via Waterford IT and has over 25 years in at the highest management levels. He operates a business mentorship business and I would highly recommend that you at least give him a call.

Google Blaize Brosnan you'll find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

His name is pretty kick ass if i do say so myself ..

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

One man for the job is Blaize Brosnan. He holds practical managers workshops via Waterford IT and has over 25 years in at the highest management levels. He operates a business mentorship business and I would highly recommend that you at least give him a call.

Google Blaize Brosnan you'll find him.

Did a business development course that he presented over a 3 month period, run by the Local County Enterprise board, highly recommend him. You'll also find him on facebook or here http://www.mriwex.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

tina m wrote: »

Just remember that the priority for DCEB have businesses that do export or production in Ireland. I had a business idea of bringing products from abroad and selling it in Ireland so I met with 2 of DCEB mentors.
    First I was told to import the ingredients and sell them to local producers instead of bringing the final product. When I rejected the idea I was told to wholesale the product to Irish retailers instead of selling it myself. At the end I created my business without any help. Learnt it the hard way, but happy with the way I did it.

Advertisement