Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Stork Good Food Cookbook By Paula Daly

Options
  • 18-10-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi I used to have a set (4 books) of Stork Good Food Cookbook By Paula Daly in the 80's which I mislaid , just wondering does anyone out there have these Book? I'll be delighted to have them again.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have these books, I got my Mums copies after she passed away, they are even signed by Paula herself! They are great books alright, OP... My ones are of great sentimental value to me, but perhaps try ebay or put up a request in adverts? Boot sales are also probably your best bet.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

that's ok I understand I would'nt part with them myself. Thanks for the tips will let u know if I find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I have these books, I got my Mums copies after she passed away, they are even signed by Paula herself! They are great books alright, OP... My ones are of great sentimental value to me, but perhaps try ebay or put up a request in adverts? Boot sales are also probably your best bet.

Good luck!

If OP is looking for a specific recipe - I presume you'll pass it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

dh0661 wrote: »
    If OP is looking for a specific recipe - I presume you'll pass it on

Jeez are you asking or telling !? That's pretty presumptuous!

I have book one in this range but would love to get the other 3. Net searches have come up empty. I'm trying to trace if the mcdonnells company that used to own stork still do, or if they'd be willing to digitise or reissue those books - there are many people looking for them.

If anyone here works in rare books or has any insight, please let us know of means of tracking these down, or any suggestions as to how to begin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Eviledna wrote: »
    Jeez are you asking or telling !? That's pretty presumptuous!

Can we let "baby and crumble" be the the judge of my reply here.

TBH I don't know why you had to reply in such an negative manner, AFAIK all members here are out to help each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I have all the books but again very sentimental memories to me too. I also use them regulary. they are amazing books. My kids will actually call them by the colours of the covers...ie where is the brown cookery book. If you need a recipe I could copy it for you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i got one on ebay last year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If anyone here works in rare books or has any insight, please let us know of means of tracking these down, or any suggestions as to how to begin :)

I'm in the book field at the moment, and I couldn't find even a hint of a mention of it from any rare book suppliers I'm afraid.

TBH I don't know why you had to reply in such an negative manner, AFAIK all members here are out to help each other.

To declare your presumption of someone elses actions like that could easily be interpreted as quite rude dh0661. It's nice to be mannerly and ask rather than tell, that's what keeps this place as helpful as it is - requests, not commands. Only my opinion, do with it what you please.

Back on topic, thanks faith, I too have met such a dead end with the book shops. But I've decided to take another approach. The NLI has all four books on file, and they have a digitiztion project. I figure if we can get in touch with the copyright owners we could seek it's release. I checked out mcdonnells and they sadly closed in drogheda in 2003. Now unilever own stork, so that's my next step.

I'm also trying to find info on Paula daly herself, she has a very minor net footprint. Would anyone know more about her here? I believe she was a radio and tv personality too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi dealornodeal23. I have a "McDonnell's Good Food Cookbook" written and compiled for McDonnell's Good Food Kitchen by Paula Daly which I bought when I got married in 1976, so again, sentimental value to me so I can't offer it to you. If you want any recipes from it, let me know, I'd be happy to help. There is a photo of the lovely Paula Daly on pg. 2. Her 'signature' is also on it but I'm sure it is actually printed, not handwritten. Sorry I haven't discovered how to post photos yet, someone might advise me. I also have a scrappy Stork cookbook which belonged to my mum from the 50's I think, almost in smithereens, again I'm hanging on to it. I cooked a casserole recipe from it just this week and it was a great success with the family.

• Advertisement

I suppose it might also be a good idea to link to any recipes from the book that have already been posted by the members here:
    I've put up the following:
    the stork coffee cake recipe last year,

The Christmas stuffing and pudding recipe last year too,

The devils food cake recipe the year before that...,

Oh and all the way back in 2008 I posted the brown bread recipe.

Mods hope the re-list is ok, some folks seem to be having trouble finding these recipes. As I've said and proven over the last 3 years, I'm always happy to post anything from the first book I have.

This is the book that I have

http://www.bibliocook.com/2006/04/an-old-favourit/

And guess what, this one is in the National Library, so it might be possible to get access to read it but not borrow of course:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000016062

And some further items I got from Mr. Google:
    http://irishherault.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/stork-recipes-ireland/
    http://bakewithstork.ie/

Yup that's the one I have too. My mother has loaned it to me too, and she got married in 1976 too :)

Yes the national library (NLI) is what I was referring to in post 10 above.

Do you remember Paula daly on the telly or radio jellybaby1?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow - that's bringing back memories. My mother has this book in her shelf in the kitchen and I cooked many recipes from it as a child when learning to bake.

The great thing about this book was the page which contained the tables for making marzipan and royal icing. Every year at Christmas those tables were consulted! I'm sure that my mother still turns to them

I make my Christmas pudding using the McDonnell's book and I use Good Housekeeping for my Christmas cake. Hardly anyone here eats rich cake any more, but its like sprouts, if there aren't any, then it isn't Christmas.

I added a few other links to my last post and didn't realise you were here chatting. Having found very little about the books and Paula Daly its really unusual but if I find any in the charity shops I'll pick them up for you. The recipes were heavy with fat which is why they are not so popular now, but soooooo tasty!

Thanks Jellybaby1, I know what you mean, it's impossible to find out more about Paula daly, if we could we might be able to ask them permission to scan the books and host them here. A long shot granted, but without permmission we couldn't do it legally. Afaik anyway!

I wish they'd rerelease these books. Indeed I can blame some of my chub to their fat laden recipes, but hell that's what makes good food tasty :)

Do you remember Paula daly on the telly or radio jellybaby1?

I vaguely remember Paula Daly especially at Christmas time on the radio, maybe on Gaybo's radio show but not sure. The one I remember most is good old Monica Sheridan and her sticky finger licking! Of course Health & Safety didn't exist then, thank goodness.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

http://www.bakewithstork.ie/ has a contact number for stork. Maybe try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oooh, contraversy earlier in the thread! :p

If anyone has particular recipes I'd be delighted to pass them on from the copies I have. No worries at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

i have the brown book too it was my grandmothers who gave it to my mum who gave it to me this year cause shes not big into cooking.

Its one of my most prized possessions cause my nana wrote in it and stuck other recipes in it. I also made my first christmas cake from it.

OP ill keep an eye out for the books for you:) but in the meantime if you need any recipes just ask

• Advertisement

I called stork but they were of no help.

I have found that Gill & McMillan were the publishers for McDonnells, and that all 4 books are available in the National Library, where they allow photocopying for those of you in Dublin.

Next step will be to get on to G&M to see if they can be digitized.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mogsmoo

Thank you so much for your help with sausagemeat stuffing , had recipe on leaflet for over 30 years ,moved house 2 years ago and lost it ,just joined the boards ,Thanks again:D

Hi Mogsmoo, you're very welcome, delighted I could help! Love that stuffing recipe, it's great for stuffed steak too!
    Welcome to boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

Can we let "baby and crumble" be the the judge of my reply here.

It's funny I should come across this thread - evil edna has a habit of trying to start arguments it seems! We are all here to help each other after all! :)

I was wondering if anybody would have the recipe for Stork Christmas Pudding? I remember seeing it on a leaflet a few years ago but don't know where it's gone! Would anybody have it? I hear it's a delicious recipe!!! Oh, and has anybody ever tried Kylemore Abbey Pudding? I know that last question is slighty OT!!! :)

Perhaps less time spent spreading your special brand of christmassy love and more time reading this thread you would have found what you were looking for, one page back, post #12, oh look, by me!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Enough!
    Cut out the bitching, sniping & back-seat modding.
    The next hint of it will result in a ban. No warning.

tHB

Back on topic, I managed to get my hands on Paula Daly's good food cookbook no3, hurrah! Still waiting on response re:copyright, but as always I'm happy to post up any recipes from it too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

Perhaps less time spent spreading your special brand of christmassy love and more time reading this thread you would have found what you were looking for, one page back, post #12, oh look, by me!:rolleyes:

Just trying to be cheerful!:) Just saw your post now. I was in a rush and didn't spot it. Thank you for putting it up! :) I got my pudding bowls a few weeks ago and I know I'ma bit late but I'll get started on my pudding soon! Happy Baking! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gor1

any luck on digitizing those cookbooks?

• Advertisement

Not yet, I reached a dead end, and managed to get my hands on number 3 in the series, but the copyright is still with the owner who I just can't track down. But if you need a recipe from either, I'd be happy to post it or PM you. ;)

Advertisement