Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

123.ie car insurance

• 18-10-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I got a really, really good quote from www.123.ie
    Should I take the offer or are they the ryanair of insurance?
    I mean, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Insurance forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Wholly owned subsidiary of RSA. So nothing wrong with the policy. Be aware that you are dealing with an insurer direct. So in the event of a claim and trouble, its you against them unless you choose to appoint your own assessor.

Also suggest reading their Terms of Business. Because they charge €25 to issue duplicate discs, re-issue no claims bonus, €40 to do a temporary change of vehicle, etc, etc. Because if contains what they can charge it should always be read instead of people coming back later and crying about the additional charges that they werent aware of!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

peteb2 wrote: »
    Wholly owned subsidiary of RSA. So nothing wrong with the policy. Be aware that you are dealing with an insurer direct. So in the event of a claim and trouble, its you against them unless you choose to appoint your own assessor.

Also suggest reading their Terms of Business. Because they charge €25 to issue duplicate discs, re-issue no claims bonus, €40 to do a temporary change of vehicle, etc, etc. Because if contains what they can charge it should always be read instead of people coming back later and crying about the additional charges that they werent aware of!

Hi,
    Thanks very much for your informed reply.
    DB

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Something else to be aware of,

If you buy a new car and change your policy over, but want to temporarily change back to the old car (€10 fee) for some reason, it cant be done (was an hour on the phone this morning).

In the end i had to permanently change the insurance back to old car (€40 fee) and this evening I'll have to permanently change it back again to the new car (€40 fee).

So 2 permanent changes in the same day = sounds pretty temporary to me

Lets just say i wont be renewing with 123 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have been with 123 for 4 years and have never had a problem. Insurance is due for renewal now and they are the cheapest quote I have received so I will be renewing with them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Dovies wrote: »
    I have been with 123 for 4 years and have never had a problem. Insurance is due for renewal now and they are the cheapest quote I have received so I will be renewing with them again.

Mine is also up next month, did all the searches this week,
    No Nonsense came out best, over a €100 better than any of the others. (of course that might be very different for your situation)

Havnt actually picked anyone yet, few calls to make, AA rang me back and dropped their quote by €80 quid to match FBD.

My advice = try them all on the net, then ring them = never take their first offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Mine is also up next month, did all the searches this week,
    No Nonsense came out best, over a €100 better than any of the others. (of course that might be very different for your situation)

Havnt actually picked anyone yet, few calls to make, AA rang me back and dropped their quote by €80 quid to match FBD.

My advice = try them all on the net, then ring them = never take their first offer

Agree with this - try them all every year. I used to be with Axa directly and just renewed every time without quibbling. Now I've become quite the price hoor, flitting around them all, including 123. The most recent best price was from Insure.ie but that may change with the next renewal. The irony of it all is that most years I'm still insured by Axa :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I was with 123 last year, and got a quote that had went up by €400 to €1100 (bear in mind ive 4 years no claims and im 26), got another quote from Axa for €550, they obviously didnt want my business too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tiggermc

123.ie are some shower. After 10+ years of totally claim free driving on my own insurance and as a named driver on my wife’s policy, they wouldn’t acknowledge my experience and wanted more money. I provided named driver experience which was not enough. I have a current commercial live policy with full no claims bonus which was also not acceptable. This is all after payment is made and there is to be a charge for cancelling the policy. I dread to think what would happen if you had a claim. And I didn’t even get into how rude their customer service reps were on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gooner84

123.ie = Ryanair (still as bad as ever even though now owned by RSA)

Buyer be ware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Try 25plus.ie, they seemed cheap for me, 25 male with 2 years no claims & full licence 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flops

I paid 123 insurance for full comprehensive insurance for both myself and my wife. My son took the car without permission wrote off the car 12k and caused 5k worth of damage to property 123 said because he was family member he was not insured and refused to pay anything at least with Ryanair you know what you are getting

I paid 123 insurance for full comprehensive insurance for both myself and my wife. My son took the car without permission wrote off the car 12k and caused 5k worth of damage to property 123 said because he was family member he was not insured and refused to pay anything at least with Ryanair you know what you are getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

Sorry no experience of 123.ie but i renewed my car insurance last week and found Allianz the cheapest, if you want to try them.

FBD qouted me €750!! (i've full bonus, lic, no claims or pp) but got it with allianz for €444...some difference!

Thanks for that will try them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

flops wrote: »

To be fair that would be the same with all insurers unless you were prepared to report it as a theft to the police!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭who what when

So your son owes you 17000, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

And you think the insurance company are the bad guys here :confused:

Flops, just wondering how you got on? Did you go with 123 or get a cheaper qoute elsewhere??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 squareone47

I just cancelled my car inurance with 123.ie recently and only got a fraction of the refund back. It was apparently written somewhere in the microscopic prints that there was a 40 euros non refundable set up fee as well as another 40 euros cancellation fee. The policy was 259 euros for the year and I only had the car insured for 4 months which meant that I only got 47 euros back.
    Unnecessary to say I won't insure again with them.

• Advertisement

that's shocking. you should starting writing letters and complaining to management, if you kick up enough of a stink you'll get something back.

why did you cancel?

I had no use for the car anymore. It was an old banger and would have cost me a small fortune to get it through the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I just cancelled my car inurance with 123.ie recently and only got a fraction of the refund back. It was apparently written somewhere in the microscopic prints that there was a 40 euros non refundable set up fee as well as another 40 euros cancellation fee. The policy was 259 euros for the year and I only had the car insured for 4 months which meant that I only got 47 euros back.
    Unnecessary to say I won't insure again with them.

Of course you've checked the other insurer companies' Ts&Cs of cancellation for comparison?

I had been insured with aviva, axa and allianz in the past and never had to pay any cancellation fees. I assumed (wrongly I know...) that it would be the same with 123.
    I know it is my mistake for not having checked every single details. But thats not the point. The fact is nothing is never completely transparent when dealing with insurance company. It's already time consuming enough to shop around and to try to compare like for like without having to go through all the small prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I had been insured with aviva, axa and allianz in the past and never had to pay any cancellation fees. I assumed (wrongly I know...) that it would be the same with 123.

But did you ever cancel a policy 4 months in with any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Toffeenose

I have been with 123 for 2 years and never had an issue until I had to make a claim. My car was stolen about 6 weeks ago and so I reported to the guards and then rang 123.ie
    First they came back with a ridiculously low value on my car, €3500 below the book price and €3000 lower than any other car similar to mine on the net. When I argued over this they said it wasn't them it was Assess Ireland. I asked for the details on how they came up with the valuation and they wouldn't part with it. Eventually they added €1000 to the price but was still below the true value. I've had to take this to the Insurance ombudsman.

3 weeks after getting a new car I was hit by an RSA driver. I thought this is easy at least it's the same company so it will be sorted now.
    Again my car was undervalued based on 1 example found online. When I argued this I was told to send in my own examples but the price remains the same. 2 weeks later they offered €600 more. When I settled I asked when would the cheque be sent out to me and I was told it would be in the post that morning. I rang 2 days later when it didn't arrive and I was told it wasn't even processed. I should never have been advised that apparently. It is not possible. I ended up having to take time off work to go down and collect it because I was buying a new car that day. I was also told that as RSA own 123.ie the €40 admin fee for the permanent xfer could be invoiced directly to them. When I rang to give the new details I was told this was not the case. They would send me a cheque as soon I received the invoice from 123.ie.

I will pay €40 but only to cancel my policy. They maybe low but everything they do comes with a price. €20 for a copy cert, €10 for a temp. xfer, €40 for a permanent xfer. I've worked in admin jobs and there is no way these prices are justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Is 123 going bust?
    a few of my friends are in the carpentry trade and tilers all insured with these guys
    they got letters saying they will not be renewed insurance when it runs out this year,they all have vans,the letter says that the rsa will be in touch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

i just renewed house and car insurance with them. maybe they're not covering trades/businesses any more?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have no brand loyalty and flit around all difference insurance companies - playing them off each other etc.

but i had a car stolen when i was with 123.ie, it was sorted out quickly enough with them, offered a replacement car etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Is 123 going bust?
    a few of my friends are in the carpentry trade and tilers all insured with these guys
    they got letters saying they will not be renewed insurance when it runs out this year,they all have vans,the letter says that the rsa will be in touch....

I had heard from a very well placed person around a year ago or so that RSA,when they bought out 123,were only going to keep the 123 brand going for a limited period of time before fully integrating with RSA.

Think about it.123 have written a huge amount of business over the last few years,they majority of which would be under market average prices to increase their market share.

Taking on that amount of business at low premiums and still having to pay out average claims like every insurer simply isnt a sustainable business model.I wouldnt be at all surprised to see 123's prices sky rocket for renewals and new business in the next 12 to 18 months.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Well I just got my insurance renewed. 6 years no claim bonus, full comp on door mazda 3, 08 with no claims bonus protection. 347euro (last year same policy was 385 euro). They were cheaper then axa (440), fbd (457) and zurich (470). Whil the others offered some nice incentives like lower excess and extra cover for things like 500 more for fire brigade call out etc it wasn't enough to suade me away. 123/RSA remind me of ryan air. Great prices but the extras are all extra.
    Change any part of the policy at any time and they'll charge you the admin fee but even at that if I had to change it for what ever reason (had to change house policy as alarm stopped working so while it was being repaired they marked me down as having no alarm (25euro)).
    Regrading through all the companies T&C's, for general (what I regard as the most improtant cover) there's very little difference between them. There's only differences on some of the other stuff. Like with no cliams bonus protection FBD allow 2 unlimited crashes caused by you and your no claims bonus is protected whereas 123/rsa allow 1 unlimited then it drops a couple of years if you've a second crash.

I really wanted to move away from them this year but cost was to great to justify it. Having both the car and house insurance with them this was the charges:

FBD: 819
    AXA: 790
    Zurich: 829
    123/RSA: 632

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daddyo1

donegalboy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got a really, really good quote from 123
    Should I take the offer or are they the ryanair of insurance?
    I mean, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them??

I just cancelled with 123 with less than a month to go on my policy. I had been a customer with them since 2011. Even though I had paid my premium in full, they still charged me the 40 euro cancellation fee. Just to rub salt in the wounds, they decided not to refund me for the remaining month of unused insurance. Even if they are cheaper than other companies, I will never take out any sort of policy with them again. If that's the way they treat a good customer, I'd hate to think how they'd be if you were trying to make a claim.

My advice:

KEEP WELL AWAY FROM 123 You may regret it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't drag up ancient threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement