Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do applied maths?

• 18-10-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'v heard that if you are good at maths then it is great for points. should i do it. i seem to get As and Bs in maths and i am also good at science and am hoping to keep on at least two sciences for the lc. my friends brother got an A1 in it and i was wondering should i do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

If your doing higher level maths then yeah, sure go for it! Just because your good at science doesn't really mean anything unless the science subject is Physics. Parts of the course over-lap between the two. I don't find it too bad, its hard at the start getting used to it, a lot of people in my class have dropped out but sure give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I've never done applied maths but apparently if you're good at physics and good at maths then you're perfect for the course. If those are you're strengths then applied maths would be a really good one to do for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ah Here!

Well to do well you definitely need to have a good natural aptitude for maths. Don't do it unless you're doing physics. Applied maths is really just going more in depth into the maths part of physics and apart from differential equations there's no real overlap between A.M. and the maths course.

Is it taught as a subject in your school? There's about 12 lads in our school doing it and the physics teacher teaches us for an hour after school on thursdays and we are all coping fairly well with only this.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I'm doing Applied Maths at the moment, with only one double period a week (in school, it's a 9th subject for me). I'm an A student in Maths, but believe me Ap Maths is hard. It's not as straightforward as Maths, you really need to be prepared to put a lot of work into it.

Definitely try it, but be warned it's a lot of work (and I'm saying this having only started it 8 weeks ago - it's already a heavy subject!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

I'm in 5th year and I started Applied Maths this year. My recommendation is that you only do Applied Maths if you have about 5 hours to spare a week and that you're doing higher level Maths and Physics. I've only done two chapters at the moment but, from what I've done so far, I can see that you need the maths and the physics because the maths will help you do the new content you will encounter and the physics will ultimately cut down the time you have to spend on the subject because some of the physics course overlaps with the Applied Maths course.

I hope my little insight helped you make your decision as it was a tough decision for me to make also. :)

~Mulciber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 JuniorMint

Applied maths is not taught in my school but i might do it in the institute. i hope to do physics and HL maths for the lc and thank you for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Ah Here! wrote: »
    Well to do well you definitely need to have a good natural aptitude for maths. Don't do it unless you're doing physics. Applied maths is really just going more in depth into the maths part of physics and apart from differential equations there's no real overlap between A.M. and the maths course.

Is it taught as a subject in your school? There's about 12 lads in our school doing it and the physics teacher teaches us for an hour after school on thursdays and we are all coping fairly well with only this.

I don't really agree with this. I found that applied maths helped physics a lot more than the other way around. Doing physics made applied maths no easier for me as the depth you go into in AM is so much more. It's pretty much a mechanics course, and the mechanics section of physics seems incredibly trivial after you've done the same topic in AM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I did applied maths for my leaving, outside of school, 2 hours a week (one hour on Tuesday, one hour on Thursday). I really liked it, didn't find it overly difficult really! The exam papers seem very tough at first, but they're quite reptitive and you build up problem solving skills as you do them.

Don't worry about the physics thing, lots of people in my AM class didn't do physics. I think Applied Maths help physics, but physics doesn't help applied maths. Basically Applied Maths is really just Mathematical Mechanics (for leaving cert purposes that is) - the first thing you do in Applied Maths will be introduced to vectors, then the equations of motion (that is the v^2 = u^2 + 2as, etc. equations) - these aren't difficult but form the 'base' of applied maths. you'll come across these in physics, but they aren't usually the first thing covered in physics, so by the time you cover them in physics, you'll have done them already in AM.

I was an A1 Maths student, and around an B1 physics student and got an A2 in Applied Maths. My AM teacher reckoned I should have gotten an A1 but I was happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ah Here!

I don't really agree with this. I found that applied maths helped physics a lot more than the other way around. Doing physics made applied maths no easier for me as the depth you go into in AM is so much more. It's pretty much a mechanics course, and the mechanics section of physics seems incredibly trivial after you've done the same topic in AM.

Oh yeah I know I meant more that if you do AM you might as well do physics because the calculations in physics will see like child's play once you do AM :pac:

Advertisement