Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish Question

• 18-10-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭

I'm a repeat student and am trying to learn the new Irish course. However, I heard that it's possible for me not to learn any of the new poems and stories this year. Instead I use the poems and stories I did for the L.C last year and do the Filiocht/Pros Roghnach section. Is this true? Or am i completely off the mark. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I'm a repeat student and am trying to learn the new Irish course. However, I heard that it's possible for me not to learn any of the new poems and stories this year. Instead I use the poems and stories I did for the L.C last year and do the Filiocht/Pros Roghnach section. Is this true? Or am i completely off the mark. Thanks.

You can do it for the pros but I'm not sure about the filiocht. Id just study the new poems because they be printed on the page rather than learning quotes from gealt etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Good point actually. I forgot that the poems are printed. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm repeating too and doing the old poems and stories. Is it possible to do the cúrsa roghnach for the stories and then do the new poems? I didn't think we could...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Depends on if you're Honours or Pass. Honours have a choice between the named or choice poem and pros. Pass have to answer both, or at least that's what our teacher has been told (and can be seen on the exam papers).

Im doing higher level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Guys, quick question to do with Irish. Y'know in comprehensions, if you just transcribe your answer from the text do you get full marks or...? I've heard contrasting stories about this with the new course so I was just wondering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Slow Show wrote: »
    Guys, quick question to do with Irish. Y'know in comprehensions, if you just transcribe your answer from the text do you get full marks or...? I've heard contrasting stories about this with the new course so I was just wondering...

was told the other day you couldnt and had to put them in your own words:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Sunny!! wrote: »
    was told the other day you couldnt and had to put them in your own words:(

Ugh really? I was doing one for homework a while ago and I was trying to do it properly but for most of the questions I could see no other possible way of answering the questions apart from what's said in the text! Considering the written exam is worth so much less I thought they'd be more lenient. Sigh. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

We were told you could paste it straight out, but obvs like you cant just write out the whole paragragh, just the answering bit :)

The advice I got was to find the answer in the text and then try to change one or two words, or just the way it's said to make it slightly unique. There's only so much you can change before it's not the right answer so you can't be expected to put everything in your own words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 reux_

Hey,
    My teacher was at an inservice the other day and she said they told her that in the new marking scheme no marks would be taken away for copying the answer from the text. However the answer must be only the correct bits instead of say the whole paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

my teacher said that we have to take the answer quoted directly from the text. maybe on the day of the exam or the mock it'll say on the paper? also how many pages were people told to write for essays? my teacher said no more than 3 but i'm repeating and last year we were writing like 6 or 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My Irish teacher is telling us to do it from our own words, but that about 95% of Irish teachers will tell you to do it from the text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

xclw wrote: »
    my teacher said that we have to take the answer quoted directly from the text. maybe on the day of the exam or the mock it'll say on the paper? also how many pages were people told to write for essays? my teacher said no more than 3 but i'm repeating and last year we were writing like 6 or 7

The essay's more brief now, two and a half, three pages max.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

I'm a bit confused about the layout of the paper. On the sample paper on examinations.ie, you're given a choice between the set pros and choice pros, and same for the poems. Whereas ordinary level are given mandatory questions. Will it be like that for the actual exam?
    Also, what essays have ye covered so far? Is there anyone at all planning on doing the sceal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

There are some answers which they will expect you to change and others that they dont expect a change. My teacher tells us to try to make at least a small change in every answer to make sure you get full marks. Even if its just a different verb it'll be counted as a change.

Advertisement