Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this something that ULSU need to look at?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Just a few points:

One car was over turn. Singular. Yes, students were arrested at the time but the number of students arrested was a lot less that the papers would have you believe. They included people in their figure that were not students but had been arrested over the same weekend.

From what i recall, the number of total arrests during ul's rag/charity week is considerly lower than in other insitutions and a lot lower that the daily arrest figures in nuig.

Since the move to "Charity Week", the efforts of the SU have helped to decrease anti social behaviour during rag week and i'm sure the gardai's figures can attest to that.

As has been pointed out, if UL pulls the plug on rag week then the local businesses will just organise their own unofficial rag week which will be 10 times worse than the official one because there won't be events to keep people occupied, no MnMs, no daily litter clearing. And that's assuming we get lucky and the local pubs/clubs pick the same week instead of having it spread out throughout a few week (rag month?). And no charity will benefit!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

Constantg your post indicates that you know nothing of the reality of last year's charity week. The only good thing to come out of it was that MnMs were visible around the place in fairness did a very good job in picking up other students' litter. It doesn't matter a ****e if the overturned car was connected with Charity Week or not. It was caused by students during Charity Week. I lived near where that happened and the locals were rightly pissed off. If you want to apply your "it happens everywhere" theory, then that's just a deflection of responsibility. Rag Week, Charity Week whatever way you want to tart it up is hell for residents. Broken glass everywhere (think of kids playing on paths and roads, residents and students having to drive over glass), wrecklessness, theft of garden furniture (elderly lady had flower pots stolen and garden destroyed), wing mirrors of cars smashed, litter everywhere, drunken behaviour, noise, cars parked across footpaths, street signage robbed... the list goes on.

Wake up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Constantg your post indicates that you know nothing of the reality of last year's charity week. The only good thing to come out of it was that MnMs were visible around the place in fairness did a very good job in picking up other students' litter. It doesn't matter a ****e if the overturned car was connected with Charity Week or not. It was caused by students during Charity Week. I lived near where that happened and the locals were rightly pissed off. If you want to apply your "it happens everywhere" theory, then that's just a deflection of responsibility. Rag Week, Charity Week whatever way you want to tart it up is hell for residents. Broken glass everywhere (think of kids playing on paths and roads, residents and students having to drive over glass), wrecklessness, theft of garden furniture (elderly lady had flower pots stolen and garden destroyed), wing mirrors of cars smashed, litter everywhere, drunken behaviour, noise, cars parked across footpaths, street signage robbed... the list goes on.

Wake up man.

while im not going to dispute that post...locals are just as bad for the bit bolded as students...lived in elm park last year and the locals were terrible for it...one parked in our driveway (we had 3 cars and needed it) and refused to move it for a while...then decided to park it fully on the footpath once we insisted.

last year our neighbour came over and said she didnt mind us drinking and having a laugh round our house as long as we didnt leave bottles lying around and kept it quiet at night. Because she bothered to come straight to us instead of just ringing the garda without talking to us we had no problem with her the entire week. Bit of dialogue goes a long way

Students need to improve again this year..but overall..compared to many other colleges/unis we do very well

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Constantg your post indicates that you know nothing of the reality of last year's charity week.

True, I wasn't out for much of RAG week last year. It got a little hairy in Milford on the last night, but it was an isolated incident if memory serves.

The only good thing to come out of it was that MnMs were visible around the place in fairness did a very good job in picking up other students' litter.

I'd say a large amount of money raised for charity, a decent series of social events and a largely trouble free week would also be positives.

It doesn't matter a ****e if the overturned car was connected with Charity Week or not.

It does in relation to this thread.

It was caused by students during Charity Week. I lived near where that happened and the locals were rightly pissed off. If you want to apply your "it happens everywhere" theory, then that's just a deflection of responsibility.

It's not a deflection of responsibility. I seem to remember locals cars being set on fire in Milford Grange a few (possibly lot; I'm old) years ago, by non-students. I'm sure the locals were 'rightly pissed off' then too.... Now if you'd care to make an issue of the behaviour of locals, then absolutely lets have a discussion.....

Broken glass everywhere (think of kids playing on paths and roads, residents and students having to drive over glass), wrecklessness, theft of garden furniture (elderly lady had flower pots stolen and garden destroyed), wing mirrors of cars smashed, litter everywhere, drunken behaviour, noise, cars parked across footpaths, street signage robbed... the list goes on.

So you're familiar with how a large portion of society (not just students) behave at events, concerts, St. Patricks Day etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

constantg wrote: »
    I'd say a large amount of money raised for charity, a decent series of social events and a largely trouble free week would also be positives.

I just what to point out a problem that I have with the whole charity week thing
    This is not a criticism of the student union
    Last year around €11,000 euros was raised for charity. This, I think, was an improvement over the last couple of years but the university has over 11,500 student. That mean that all the student in the university contributed less the a euro each. Last year was an improvement but if the donations are like this is it worth it when fun runs have been known to raise the same amount of money.

I think we should get rid of charity week only if the student union can get us a deal like the one in NUIG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Jester252 wrote: »
    I think we should get rid of charity week only if the student union can get us a deal like the one in NUIG

Best of luck to this years sabbats in that regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Whether you get rid of it or not students will most likely identify some sort of week to do the same thing, and I'm not talking charity.

Advertisement