Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is mybills.ie good for?

Options
  • 18-10-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right category, but I come across this mybills.ie all the time now...on the radio, on the telly, etc.

But what I do not understand, even after checking out their web page, is why would anyone need that?
    I mean, most bills come out of your account via direct debit. What for do you need mybills.ie so?

Sorry if this seems incredibly ignorant, but I would really like to know how this can help with bills.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

HAd a look at it myself today, after hearing the adverts.

I too can't see much use for it as DD and paying up front for most of my bills has served me ok, but from what I can see (and the website doesn't make this clear), the signed up company's will allow people, via mybills.ie, to pay their bills in installments.

So if your phone bill is €100, you can pay 20 now, 15 next week, another 20 in a fortnight etc.

Not sure if this is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

NIMAN wrote: »
    HAd a look at it myself today, after hearing the adverts.

I too can't see much use for it as DD and paying up front for most of my bills has served me ok, but from what I can see (and the website doesn't make this clear), the signed up company's will allow people, via mybills.ie, to pay their bills in installments.

So if your phone bill is €100, you can pay 20 now, 15 next week, another 20 in a fortnight etc.

Not sure if this is right.

Yes this is exaxtly correct; but bear in mind it still repects minimum payments billers want to accept, for example it won't let you pay less than 6.35 off your Tesco Visa.

You set up your laser/debit card to be use to pay the bills at your request. afaik these payments would count as laser transactions for the likes of conditions to get free fees with certain banks

I'm a big fan of this site (formally billpay.ie) as the payments reach my Tesco credit card within 24 hours usually.

Plus if you sign up now you have the chance to click a link at the end to enter a competition to win 1000euro a month for 12 months...

and

Be in with a chance to get your household bills paid for you this month
    Simply pay a bill* during the month of October and you will automatically be entered into our draw to get your October household bills paid (to a maximum value of €500).

Win a Christmas Shopping Spree worth €1,000
    Pay at least one bill* each calendar month between now and 14th December 2011 and you will automatically be entered into a draw to win a €1,000 Christmas Shopping Spree.
    This prize will be a €1,000 One4all Gift Card which can be spent in over 4,500 outlets nationwide and can also be used online if you wish to avoid the crowds!

Win the use of €25,000 worth of prize bonds for a year!
    Finally if you have registered 5 billers or more before 31st December 2011, you will automatically be entered into a draw to win the use of €25,000 worth of prize bonds for one year.

To see the Terms & Conditions for each of the competitions above please click here
    So what are you waiting for? You can login here to get started now.
    Eddie Manning
    Marketing Operations Manager
    An Post

( Also, you can use the site for one off payments without signing up but i don't think think you would qualify for competitions)

(When you register you need to wait on a PIN in the post)

I hope this helps,

A happy mybills.ie customer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really a Banking/Insurance/Pensions question. I'll move it to Consumer Affairs for now..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

I use Mybills all the time. I pay off a small amount weekly from my gas and electricity so I'm not landed with a big bill that i have to pay off all in one go. A few times I've ended up in loads of credit so it's meant that i can go easier on my payments for a while as well. It's the same thing as paying off bills bit by bit in the post office. I find it extremely handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right category, but I come across this mybills.ie all the time now...on the radio, on the telly, etc.

But what I do not understand, even after checking out their web page, is why would anyone need that?

The service they offer is principally of use to people who do not have bank accounts.

Unlike a similar service which went bust a few months ago because they invested surplus cash in Bulgarian property, this one is run by An Post so your money is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

coylemj wrote: »
    The service they offer is principally of use to people who do not have bank accounts.

Unlike a similar service which went bust a few months ago because they invested surplus cash in Bulgarian property, this one is run by An Post so your money is safe.

How do you not have a bank account and have a laser/credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

January wrote: »
    How do you not have a bank account and have a laser/credit card?

O2 Money card
    Pre paid mastercard
    3V voucher

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

You need to register a bank account with them in order for them to take the payments.

I have a bank account. I think its more primarily for people who can't make it to a post office or paypoint place during working hours. Like I said, I use it to spread my payments so I'm not landed with a huge one when the bill comes through.

I like it anyway.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Probabaly alot simpler to go to your local post office and pay off your bills that way.

seems to me to be another cynical way to take business away from the smaller post offices by An Post.

Pay any amount you want off your bills (exception €20 min eircom) at your local post office, if you dont support/use them an post will close them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

coylemj wrote: »

It's useless to people without a bank account as you have to pay from your bank account or debit card. You cannot use pre-pay credit cards.
    Shelflife wrote: »
    Probabaly alot simpler to go to your local post office and pay off your bills that way.

Not really that simple. You'd have to take time off work, queue behind all the people collecting pensions, dole, etc, and have the cash on you which means a trip to the bank or ATM. There are no queues on a website, nor do you need the cash in your hand, and you can do it at any time you like.
    seems to me to be another cynical way to take business away from the smaller post offices by An Post.

Or a convenient way to pay your bills when getting to the post office is not an option.

I use it to pay amounts off my credit card bill, phone, gas, electricity, etc before letting them build up too much to the monthly or bi-monthly direct debit. DD is handy to make sure you don't forget your bills, but they're in no way controllable by you. The money goes whenever the business wants to take it. Also, not everyone likes DD, so a service like this is very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Not really that simple. You'd have to take time off work, queue behind all the people collecting pensions, dole, etc, and have the cash on you which means a trip to the bank or ATM. There are no queues on a website, nor do you need the cash in your hand, and you can do it at any time you like.

You can also pay by laser, and the PO is open on a Sat as well, being honest the only day there are queues is on a Friday.

Agree with you that its handy, but so is a PO and once they close they rarely reopen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

After hearing the ads for it i had a look at it too and there didn't seem to be any real point in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I gave up going to my local post office to pay bills when they decided to start closing for 90 minutes at lunchtime a few years ago.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can also pay by laser, and the PO is open on a Sat as well, being honest the only day there are queues is on a Friday.
    In your p.o. maybe. Queues everyday, all day long in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Apart from possibly paying bills in installments I can't see the benefits of this myself.

Why not pay bills through phone and/or internet banking?

I never set foot inside a post office unless I am sending something by registered post or something like that.

I can pay Eircom, Gas, ESB, Credit Card etc... through internet banking in a matter of minutes - or even easier... direct debit.

I imagine the number of people without a bank account these days is extremely minimal and of those people most probably wouldn't use/have access to the internet anyway... (thinking of the older generation here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Uriel. wrote: »
    Why not pay bills through phone and/or internet banking?

Because the same range of companies may not be available through your Internet banking. I know that BOI only have a very small set available.

The fact is that this is a very useful service for a lot of people. Not everyone will use it, but not everyone uses Internet banking either. You don't have to avail of every single service that is being offered to you. If you don't need it, then why even worry about what other people use it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I used to use it a lot before moving most of my bills to DD.
    I still use it for paying credit cards and my TV licence - it keeps a history of all payments made, so that may (or not) be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Agree with you that its handy, but so is a PO and once they close they rarely reopen.

Not everyone lives near a post office. If you're in or near a city that's fine but if you're in the country it's different. I find mybills very handy and my parents (who won't touch 'Internet Banking' with a 10 foot bargepole) use it a lot too simply because they find it difficult to get out to the post office in the bad weather at their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fifibenz

Can anyone tell me if there is an app for mybills? I use the site on my laptop but think it wud b handy to b able to pay bills from my fone. My bank NIB have an app and i much prefwr to use it than having to b near a computer to log on. Phone apps save time.i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Apart from the County Councils Thurles Town Council is the only urban one. Would have thought more town/borough councils would signed up for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement