Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English-Personal essays

• 18-10-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm writing a personal essay on "waiting" and finding it difficult in 3rd year i could belt an essay out with no issues,yet 4th year has really messed my head up.I'm struggling to write personal essays now and could use with a few tips.
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'd start by using commas when appropriate, spacing after full stops and commas, capitalising your "I"'s and capitalising at the beginning of each sentence. :p

But on a serious note, try making out a plan before you begin to write your essay, listing out all of your points and ideas and structure them before you write.
    Otherwise, just do what everybody says you've got to do to do well in English; read. Read books, read newspapers, even read boards! You may find inspiration here or anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unknownNinja

Cian A wrote: »
    I'd start by using commas when appropriate, spacing after full stops and commas, capitalising your "I"'s and capitalising at the beginning of each sentence. :p

But on a serious note, try making out a plan before you begin to write your essay, listing out all of your points and ideas and structure them before you write.
    Otherwise, just do what everybody says you've got to do to do well in English; read. Read books, read newspapers, even read boards! You may find inspiration here or anywhere.

That's what 4th year does to you :( slows down the brain :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm writing a personal essay on "waiting" and finding it difficult in 3rd year i could belt an essay out with no issues,yet 4th year has really messed my head up.I'm struggling to write personal essays now and could use with a few tips.
    cheers.

It's been four years, but these tips helped me pick up an A1 in English.
    • Consider your audience - depending on the essay title, you may have to tailor your register of language (informal -> formal) to suit the subject.
    • As mentioned above, correct use of punctuation is important. The marking scheme doesn't put too much weight on it, but if your essay is full of errors it could make a bad impression on the examiner!
    • Link every paragraph. Repeat a word or a phrase to develop each image or idea. This way each paragraph follows a logical progression. You should be able to fit 3 decent paragraphs into a page (on average). Refer back to the essay title every few paragraphs as well to stay on-topic.
    • Be honest. If you're asked for a personal opinion, give it! Express how you actually feel about the subject, not what you imagine you "should" say.
    • Tie your ideas together in the closing paragraph. You only need three or four sentences for this. Summarise the points you've made to show you've answered the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Hi

I usually visit the Teaching/Lecturing forum, but visit here sometimes for useful information.

About the personal essay - as above, I'd say. Also, if you have problems coming up with ideas, try some prompts - Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? and/or think about: What words come to mind when you see/read the essay title? What images come to mind? What feelings does the title evoke? Is there a poem or a song that comes to mind? Brainstorming around these prompts might help, and try not to reject any ideas you have, just jot them down. You can pick and choose afterwards.

Hope this is of some help.

Advertisement