Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, so getting a new Xbox...

Options
  • 18-10-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

...(coz Microsoft won't replace the one for which failure was a matter of when, not if...)

Anyhoo, so I'm getting a new one - what do I have to do to set up my gamertag on the new one? Can I copy over evrything I need from my old one, even tho its borked (3 flashing red rings)?

Hoping one of you geniuses can help, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

take hard drive from old one and put it into the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Will it fit - my old one is a launch one from 2006...

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

You need the data transfer cable. I bought one yesterday and just used it to transfer data from my 2006 xbox to my new slim. I used it only once and might try selling it on eBay or adverts in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

it fits is you do some DIY... but just get a tranny cable

pretty f'n annoying using it once then its completely kinda pointless... you can use usb sticks to transfer data too

dont some stores transfer it for you too!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

-=al=- wrote: »
    it fits is you do some DIY... but just get a tranny cable

pretty f'n annoying using it once then its completely kinda pointless... you can use usb sticks to transfer data too

dont some stores transfer it for you too!?

Yeah USB memory key is the way to go if you don't have a cable.

Used a cable recently total waste of money had I not been able to borrow it, as all it transfers is saves profile and dlc and not installed games.

Given you have a launch xbox though the new xbox will likely be a slim and you will be forced to buy a cable as the drive wont fit it. Unless you have any pals with the phat xbox you could use for a few minutes to transfer the stuff to a memory stick, given its a launch it will have 5-10 gbs of data max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah USB memory key is the way to go... you could use for a few minutes to transfer the stuff to a memory stick.

Just wondering how the USB stick approach works seeing as the original box won't turn on anymore (only goes as far as the flashing lights)?

Advertisement