Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-6 months in australia

Options
  • 19-10-2011 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just after finishing my degree and have been working literally non stop for 6 months. I have a lot saved and have my heart set on travelling around oz and maybe a stop off in thailand along the way. Is it feasible to travel for up to 6 months and if so, how much would someone need to have saved? Also, recommendations for places to go, things to see, things to avoid would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hello and welcome to boards, the first thing you should do is read the Australia FAQ - there will be a few threads there that will help you out

Yes it is possible to travel for 6 months (I take it just travel - not a working holiday?)
    Please read up here http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/ for a 6month tourist visa

Next thing is to do a few searches on the forum about how much etc, as since you have not told us anything about yourlife style or interests then we cannot say how much, Australia is expensive due to the high $, so keep this in mind.

Generally most people will travel the east coast, and there are some cheap but fun trips you can do.
    Obviously everyone is different, but in general :
    Melbourne, Sydney, Byron Bay, Brisbane, Fraser Island, whitsundays, magnetic island and cairns are the most popular, along with Darwin, Alice springs (Uluru)

The west is beautiful, but is isolated and not as popular as the east, but certainly more scenic (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

If you want to take tours etc 6 months would be very expensive. Personally, I'd buy a car and some camping gear and hit the road, if you are going solo you'll have no problem picking up people at hostels to travel with you and split fuel costs etc.

In that amount of time you could drive the entire coast and down through centre, that was my plan but have only done Darwin to Melbourne (via WA) so far, can't recommend that leg highly enough though.

Advertisement