Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Crying at Night

• 19-10-2011 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My dog sleeps in my bedroom last night he was uneasy, walking around the room crying, my mother woke up and thought he had to the toilet so got up and left him out, later on he woke me up and I took him down. He didn't go to the toilet either time and didn't even want to go out (If he has to go the toilet he will go straight out)

Tonight he is doing the very same thing, will not settle, walking around sniffing things and crying. I have no idea what is wrong with him? Any ideas boardsies?

He is a 1 year old Boxer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Would he be hearing bangers or fireworks going off maybe given the time of year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

shuffles88 wrote: »
    Would he be hearing bangers or fireworks going off maybe given the time of year?

Don't think so, when they leave them off during the day/evening time and he doesn't have an issue an issue with it then, doesn't phase him whatsoever so don't think it's that.

Could he be anxious at night though when its quieter in your house maybe? If my dogs seem nervous I leave on the radio on something mellow like lyric fm even if its on low maybe you could try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TwoRoads

maybe he detects a local dog on heat?

Could he be anxious at night though when its quieter in your house maybe? If my dogs seem nervous I leave on the radio on something mellow like lyric fm even if its on low maybe you could try that?

I suppose it's a possibility that's what it could be, he finally seems to have settled down so hopefully he will stay that way for the night so we can get some sleep. He just seems very on edge though, he's not fully relaxed even though he is sleeping, even at the slightest noise he is up and looking around. He even did this when I started typing.

• Advertisement

TwoRoads wrote: »
    maybe he detects a local dog on heat?

He was neutered the day after he turned 6 months as I didn't want to be dealing with that issue.

I am used to bassets that like toget a good nights kip. But one time for several nights they wanted out at this sort of time. My wife and I decided to see what they were up to one night . we followed them down our drive. Outside our shed in the darkest of nights we could make them with 2 larger figures as quiet as clouds. They were 2 boxers that had traveled over a mile
    to our house . They were shy and slipped off into the darkness.:rolleyes:

Just another thought actually it's a little chillier at night time recently could he be a bit cold? Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it there's nothing worse than a sad Boxer, I have one myself they'd melt your heart;)

Just another thought actually it's a little chillier at night time recently could he be a bit cold? Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it there's nothing worse than a sad Boxer, I have one myself they'd melt your heart;)
    It could be just that. Lure him to bed with a treat and cover him with a blanket maybe?

I don't think so, last night in desperation I called him and let him up on my bed which he is not allowed to do, he loves it though and I even let me go under the covers where he would be nice and toasty but no, after a couple of minutes he jumped down and proceeded to start the whining again. He just can't settle, and yes it's horrible seeing him like that, he's usually laid back and loves his sleep so it's just so strange.

• Advertisement

Did he settle down and sleep for all?

TwoRoads wrote: »
    Did he settle down and sleep for all?

Yes he did we all got a good nights sleep, thank god, just seems to be anxious about something. If he keeps it up we will be paying a trip to vet to rule out any health issues.
    wocao wrote: »
    [IMG]http://www.****/g.php[/IMG]Does the dog sleep in your bedroom all the time ? if not,i think the dog may be uncustomary to sleep at a new place for several days.

Yes, he's slept in my bedroom since I got him at 8 weeks sooo no issues there, but apparently he's not a happy boy. Thanks for thinking of it though.

Just to report that myself and Cooper just headed up to bed, no whining thus far he was just chilling out his bed. But he has just gotten up so I may have typed too soon :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I have 2 boxers :) who like routine :)My OH was tiling the kitchen for the past few days so I had the dogs sleep in my room because I was afraid of them cutting themselves on bits of tiles.They love my bed but love their own beds in the kitchen as they love their sleep :)They have both been out of sorts since the work started.Kitchen was completely finished today and I cleaned and put everything back,the 2 of them havnt left their beds since 7 o clock hehehe.

boxerly wrote: »
    I have 2 boxers :) who like routine :)My OH was tiling the kitchen for the past few days so I had the dogs sleep in my room because I was afraid of them cutting themselves on bits of tiles.They love my bed but love their own beds in the kitchen as they love their sleep :)They have both been out of sorts since the work started.Kitchen was completely finished today and I cleaned and put everything back,the 2 of them havnt left their beds since 7 o clock hehehe.

Aww the things we do for our furbabies, I hate seeing him out of sorts because he's normally so good and happy in himself. Sounds like your too are delighted to have their own space back, my fella will do anything to get on the bed or the couch, I don't think he likes the fact that his is on the floor, apparently it's not comfortable enough for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Yep my kids kept them awake the past few nights :)theres always one of them coming in to me.

Advertisement