Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing - Grants

Options
  • 19-10-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently looking into Housing Grants to help out for my mother's house.It is located in Co.Mayo
    It is about 58 years old,and my mother is in her early 60's.
    My Mum, is not woking,She lives alone, only recieves the Jobseeker's benifit,has no other income,such as major savings,herd numbers or no dependents.She has trouble with her hips, and has had an operation and has leg ulcers. I am the nearest family member about.
    The house itself is in need of some repair now.But since my mum's health has gone down in the last few years ,she is finding it difficult to keep on track of things,I live away and have a young family.

The house is a 3 bedroom country Bungelow,quiet a large house,rooms are pretty big, with also a bathroom,kitchen and dining/sitting room together.
    • The house is only heated by an open fire,(turf,bricketts) no central heating is in it.
    • In the kitchen she would need a few new units and at the moment has no cooker,washing machine,dryer.It is a small room.
    • Bathroom would need a new shower,and glass and maybe need a replacement bath and some tiling work.
    • Bedrooms (2 of them)would need to be decorated ,1 especially and new beds and furniture.
    • Flooring is needed in the whole house,new lino.
    • The windows are all fine,But the front door would need to be replaced as she feels drafts in it.Other door is fine at back
    • The outside of the house would probaly need a new coat of paint,and one of the chimmelys needs to be fixed,small problem.There is an old shed that needs to be taken away and a skip is required,as lots of stuff could be thrown into it from the shed and house.
    • Some electrical work.
    Sorry for going on,but can anyone give me advice please,I have checked the housing grant website itself.
    1. has anyone been through this process,How long does it take ?
    2. What of the above could she get done?
    3. Would you think my mum could be helped?:confused:
    Any tips/usefull advice,only please.
    Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The State Benefits forum might be of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

She may qualify for help under the SEAI's Warmer Homes Scheme with heat & insulation:

This scheme aims to improve the energy efficiency and comfort conditions of homes occupied by low-income households,

MY mother, who is a pensioner living alone in Wicklow, got attic insulation done through this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Quiko09

Thanks for information..What did your mum get done,did she need to pay some of costs?
    Does it take long to process application?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bain_triail_as

Quiko09 wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently looking into Housing Grants to help out for my mother's house.It is located in Co.Mayo
    It is about 58 years old,and my mother is in her early 60's......

[*]Would you think my mum could be helped?:.
    Thanks

I suggest you enquire at Mayo county council civil offices ( one is at Ballina, another at Belmullet, there may be others) for your mother to apply for a local authority property. An application form needs to be completed.

Your mother will likely qualify due to the current state of her housing and her age and health. Another factor that should assist her in qualifying is not having relations living close by.

A council official will visit your mother at her present home and compile a report. From that a decision is made on her eligibility.

If she is deemed eligible for rehousing, her name can also be put forward for housing association schemes in the county. Some schemes focus on pension-age and disabled clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The grants for all housing repairs are now administered by the local co.co. As advised by Bain_trial_as, you mum should apply for assistance from Mayo Co.Co.. The info you need is here: http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Housing/Grants/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

gizmo555 wrote: »
    She may qualify for help under the SEAI's Warmer Homes Scheme with heat & insulation
    Quiko09 wrote: »
    Thanks for information..What did your mum get done,did she need to pay some of costs?
    Does it take long to process application?

Attic insulation mainly, also some work on draught exclusion. She didn't have to pay anything. Her house is of a similar vintage to your mother's, but does have oil central heating. It didn't have anything like enough attic insulation though, and it's quite likely your mother's doesn't either. It makes a dramatic difference both to comfort and fuel costs to have it up to scratch.

It took several months from the time she applied to the time the work was completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Quiko09

Thanks for all the replies and help

Will it matter that my mother is 62 and not 65 years old?

Would central heating be covered?
    There is just an open - fire in her home and a hot - press.
    There is radiators in the rooms,but they dont work.

Advertisement