Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

front of the independant today

• 19-10-2011 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

saw on front page that an american company is looking to set up a call centre in ireland and is looking at waterford and few other places, this would create a thousand jobs apparently

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Any link to this story? I cant seem to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Stick with the Irish Times folks. A little more fact, a little less fiction.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1019/1224306066810.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Stick em all into Ferrybank Shopping Centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

it'd be a great boost for the city. but unfortunatly without ministerial pull, the jobs will more than likely go elsewhere.

sad but true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

hardybuck wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1019/1224306066810.html

Herre is the important bit of that article

The inclusion of Waterford as a possible venue for the new company is hardly surprising following the recent closure of the Talk Talk plant there with a loss of almost 600 jobs. However the building used by that company is likely to be ruled out at an early stage as it could not accommodate anything like 1,000 workers. Similarly it will be equally difficult to find a large enough premises in the Dundalk area.

So The I.T thinks Waterford is only on the short list because of the Closure of Talk-Talk, not on it's merits

No Mention of the Waterford Crystal facility at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

There is other vacant units in the area that can be done up and TalkTalk can be a temporary base, waterford has a lot of fibre and trunks coming into to handle the volume of calls required

how about the old NTL place? how many could that hold?

Michael Walsh should be onto these people as quickly as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

NTL can only hold about 300-400 afaik. I think there are units either side of TalkTalk that are free however and could be converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thing is though I'm sure there are places in Cork/Dublin maybe even Galway that wouldnt have to be converted to the same level as here. It would be great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd be surprised if there wasn't 100k sq.ft. available on the IDA estate, if the TT building hasn't been gutted then that would be available with very little effort and could form the first stage of a new centre. Given that we would also have a significant local talent pool with direct, recent contact centre experience we should at least be able to be a viable contender for the work.

You can guarantee that TDs for other regions will be pressing hard for this, so time for ours to step up I'd say.

Fair enough it may not happen, but we should at least try.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Not sure exactly how big the TT facility was but when I was there, there had being talk of them expanding to the unit next door to the left with that too they could have enough maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

shanemul wrote: »
    Not sure exactly how big the TT facility was but when I was there, there had being talk of them expanding to the unit next door to the left with that too they could have enough maybe??

The TalkTalk building as it is now couldnt hold 1000, but if it was expanded either side as there were plans to do so at one time then yes 1000 would be no problem

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This quote from the Irish Times really hacked me off, I wonder do they have a vested interest?
    The inclusion of Waterford as a possible venue for the new company is hardly surprising following the recent closure of the Talk Talk plant there with a loss of almost 600 jobs. However the building used by that company is likely to be ruled out at an early stage as it could not accommodate anything like 1,000 workers.

Thats absolute bollocks, the AOL building at one point had up to 800 employees plus there is the empty Shcivo unit next door which could easily accomodate hundreds of staff, there is more than enough space here and I wonder why the IT is trying to scupper our chances by spreading such lies.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't 100k sq.ft. available on the IDA estate, if the TT building hasn't been gutted then that would be available with very little effort and could form the first stage of a new centre. Given that we would also have a significant local talent pool with direct, recent contact centre experience we should at least be able to be a viable contender for the work.

It hasn't been gutted at all, even the pods and the chairs are still in place. The building is being maintained by TalkTalk until January next year and there are currently Skillsnet courses ongoing in the building every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Surly the waterford crystal office block and show rooms would be able to fit this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

This quote from the Irish Times really hacked me off, I wonder do they have a vested interest?
    The inclusion of Waterford as a possible venue for the new company is hardly surprising following the recent closure of the Talk Talk plant there with a loss of almost 600 jobs. However the building used by that company is likely to be ruled out at an early stage as it could not accommodate anything like 1,000 workers.

Thats absolute bollocks, the AOL building at one point had up to 800 employees plus there is the empty Shcivo unit next door which could easily accomodate hundreds of staff, there is more than enough space here and I wonder why the IT is trying to scupper our chances by spreading such lies.

Dont think that schivo building is empty, the old HITOL building is though AFAIK

Dont think that schivo building is empty, the old HITOL building is though AFAIK

The Schivo building was empty when I was in it a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TalkTalk's building has a capacity of approx 700 (it never held 800 like claimed above), unlike the NTL building and many other sites it has infrastructure in place which could potentially make it more attractive to companys versus empty buildings.

Cabaal wrote: »
    TalkTalk's building has a capacity of approx 700 (it never held 800 like claimed above), unlike the NTL building and many other sites it has infrastructure in place which could potentially make it more attractive to companys versus empty buildings.

I didn't claim it held 800 people AT THE SAME TIME :rolleyes:

AOL employed approximately 800 people back in 2005-2007 but worked on a 6 shift rotation so not everyone was in the building at the same time. I wouldn't expect all 1000 people that this company are looking to employ will all be in the building at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Looks like we are going to miss out on this:
    Limerick vies with Dundalk for 1,000 jobs boost

DUNDALK has emerged as the major opposition to Limerick’s chances of securing an investment which would create up to 1,000 jobs.

As reported by the Limerick Leader last month, an unnamed American computer company is seeking to open a 1,000-seater call centre in an Irish location outside Dublin.

The firm is looking for 9,290 square metres, with the former Dell manufacturing facility in Raheen mooted as a location, due to the fact it once housed 1,900 workers.

But there is understood to be major opposition from Dundalk, with reports suggesting its close proximity to Dublin, and closeness to the Northern Ireland border, could win the vital jobs boost.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/limerick_vies_with_dundalk_for_1_000_jobs_boost_1_3254357

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

disgraceful!!!!! waterford misses out again eh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

disgraceful!!!!! waterford misses out again eh.

If waterford doesnt have the required facilities then the company is right to go elsewhere tbh

Cabaal wrote: »
    If waterford doesnt have the required facilities then the company is right to go elsewhere tbh

Waterford has the facilities, it dosen't have the political will or connections to get this type of project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

they say 1000 jobs, there would hardly be all working at the same time? you would hardly need 1000 work stations would you?

the experienced workforce is there for this type of employment and yes there would be various potential properties there for the takin out in the ida

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Too hopeful to suggest this is linked to a big job announcement mentioned in munster express and discussed on another thread here

thomasm wrote: »
    Too hopeful to suggest this is linked to a big job announcement mentioned in munster express and discussed on another thread here
    probably more than likely

In Coffee, Deasy & Conway we must have the 3 worst Govt TD's in the country ..... they should be pushing & pushing & pushing for this to come to Waterford .....

comeraghs wrote: »
    In Coffee, Deasy & Conway we must have the 3 worst Govt TD's in the country ..... they should be pushing & pushing & pushing for this to come to Waterford .....

Not only them. People from South Tipp, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford and from as far away as Portlaoise used to work in TalkTalk.

There should be a co-ordinated push from ALL the tds in the south east but theres as much chance of Kilkenny tds helping waterford tds as I have of winning the euromillions this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

comeraghs wrote: »

they haven't hands to wipe their ar5ses, and they are two biased to the rural areas as opposed to the city. Waterford City don't have much of a voice in fairness, I know that red haired fella set up an office in there, but like hes not up to being a TD bless him

Advertisement