Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terryland Forest Park / other city parks

Options
  • 19-10-2011 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I'm new to Galway and was doing a search for parks close to city centre and came across Terryland Forest Park.

It's looks really interesting, the thing is, I can't find the location on google maps and also, any information about what's happening there seems to be out of date.

If I walk out the Headford Road will I find it easily enough?
    Can anyone tell me anything about it please?

I'm really just looking for a nice park or somewhere vaguely woodland-esque to go for a wander. I live in the very center of town and don't drive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Bootsy. wrote: »
    I'm new to Galway and was doing a search for parks close to city centre and came across Terryland Forest Park.

It's looks really interesting, the thing is, I can't find the location on google maps and also, any information about what's happening there seems to be out of date.

If I walk out the Headford Road will I find it easily enough?
    Can anyone tell me anything about it please?

I'm really just looking for a nice park or somewhere vaguely woodland-esque to go for a wander. I live in the very center of town and don't drive.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Galway+map&hl=en&ll=53.282808,-9.047488&spn=0.002793,0.008256&hnear=Galway,+County+Cathair+na+Gaillimhe&gl=ie&t=m&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.282892,-9.047439&panoid=fLBCKYgr5wWzQaVURnaj3Q&cbp=12,130.82,,0,7.43

-there is nothing really, I have no idea who called it "forest park" :pac: its just a path between some bushes full of litter.
    If you want nice walk go to Merlin Woods near Dublin Rd, it's the closest to the "woods" in Galway, or there is some nice place in Barna too.

If you get off number 9 after GMIT and roundabout and you walk back about 150m, you will see this entrance to the hospital:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Galway+map&hl=en&ll=53.276102,-9.003124&spn=0.011176,0.033023&hnear=Galway,+County+Cathair+na+Gaillimhe&gl=ie&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.276102,-9.003124&panoid=2wGl-jU780HZsKqoUHKM2g&cbp=12,12.81,,0,5.85

-walk for a while and head left (you can follow the map), its a nice walk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

From what i remember it is mainly down between the quincentenial road and the dyke road. Also has a section on the n6 out by the back of liosban estate. It used to be full of winos and little farts drinking. You should try walking from the college to Dangan along the river..its nice or also go barna woods. They are not too far out the spiddle road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Aunteen and Uncleen woods (on the old old Dublin road, across from Merlin), it's the best kept secret in Galway, cool crater from the 1916 rising (or the war of independence) too.

As for Terryland, that's not quiet a mature park yet. The people of Galway planted those trees and God willing it will be something we're proud of one day. The council don't seem to put much energy into it's upkeep at the moment, I don't think a few acres of saplings have much to offer at the moment, but thank goodness forsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

softmee wrote: »
    re Terrland ..
    -there is nothing really, I have no idea who called it "forest park" :pac: its just a path between some bushes full of litter.

That's the way I see it too ... sorry Greany, I think you're too kind.

Better options:

Cappagh Park (see the Knocknacarra neighbourhood map), which runs into Barna Woods (see the Barna neighbourhood map) - this is a favourite of mine.

Merlin Woods, and also Roscam Woods. The latter locally known as Aunteen and Uncleen Woods. Both listed on on the Merlin Park neighbourhood map - Merlin Woods is the area around the hospital. Locals have advised me not to go alone, and not to take small dogs there.

Apparently there's a ncie spot out at Oranmore (Renvylle?) but it's not public transport friendly so I haven't investigated.

Further afield, Coole Park near Gort. I haven't tried it by bus, but I think it's a bit of a walk but not impossibly far from the bus stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Merlin woods is a lovely little spot alright. I was living in An Fiodan a couple years ago and used to take a walk through the woods every morning / evening on my way to GMIT. It's so quiet in there and you'd swear you were out in the middle of the countryside when you get into it. I can't say personally that I ever had any trouble there myself but it's like any remote area and you wouldn't go alone after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

JustMary wrote: »
    That's the way I see it too ... sorry Greany, I think you're too kind.

Better options:

Cappagh Park (see the Knocknacarra neighbourhood map), which runs into Barna Woods (see the Barna neighbourhood map) - this is a favourite of mine.

Merlin Woods, and also Roscam Woods. The latter locally known as Aunteen and Uncleen Woods. Both listed on on the Merlin Park neighbourhood map - Merlin Woods is the area around the hospital. Locals have advised me not to go alone, and not to take small dogs there.

Apparently there's a ncie spot out at Oranmore (Renvylle?) but it's not public transport friendly so I haven't investigated.

Further afield, Coole Park near Gort. I haven't tried it by bus, but I think it's a bit of a walk but not impossibly far from the bus stop there.

+1, both of these are nice if you can get there, and the other two are easy to get to and nice too. The Renville one has a playground for small kids too. You can walk there from Oranmore in maybe 70-90 mins if you're up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »

Hop on yer bike and go out the old coast rd. It's (still) a nice cycle

Greaney wrote: »
    cool crater from the 1916 rising (or the war of independence) too.

-where exactly is that crater?

It is indeed a cool 'crater', although its apparently debatable whether its natural or from shelling. In another thread, I referred to it as having 'allegedly' been from shelling from a Royal Navy ship in the bay in 1915. Having suggested that, I couldn't find the online reference I thought I'd seen. Maybe I dreamed I Googled it, I don't know ! However there apparently was a British ship in Galway Bay that shelled Castlegar sometime in that period.

Anyway it is an interesting place, whatever its history. Its round about here. There are different views available, old maps, aerial and current roadmap.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    It is indeed a cool 'crater', although its apparently debatable whether its natural or from shelling. In another thread, I referred to it as having 'allegedly' been from shelling from a Royal Navy ship in the bay in 1915. Having suggested that, I couldn't find the online reference I thought I'd seen. Maybe I dreamed I Googled it, I don't know ! However there apparently was a British ship in Galway Bay that shelled Castlegar sometime in that period.

Anyway it is an interesting place, whatever its history. Its round about here. There are different views available, old maps, aerial and current roadmap.

Oh, I thought the red cross is where the crater is on your map, but thats the "center of view", so I still dont know.. :)
    Have you marked it on that map somehow?

• Advertisement

Regarding the crater, I was told it was from the 1916 rising by my son who was told by his history teacher (in his opinion a pretty smart guy) from Moneen school. I re-heard it from a second source but I can't remember. I'm guessing the 1916 rising because I know there was shelling in and around Renmore barracks (apparently it was the same time Joyce was meeting his inlaws, the Barnacles).

Right, the directions. It's the 'far end' of the woods, that is, if you enter from the pedestrian entrance at the tip near Galway Crystal, you've to walk straight (negotiating the windy paths), all the way to the other end, where from coast road the wood meets the back of a Victorian farmhouse). If you take the entrance on the old old Dublin road (turning right after Galway Crystal, first left), you take the paths that lead to the right. You have to wander about a bit, but keep going.

Perhaps I am being too kind about Terryland park, but I know so many Galwegians that turned up on those cold wet Sundays to plant those trees, I didn't, and I appreciate that they did it for their city. I always think a bit of civic duty deserves the nod.

Greaney wrote: »

Perhaps I am being too kind about Terryland park, but I know so many Galwegians that turned up on those cold wet Sundays to plant those trees, I didn't, and I appreciate that they did it for their city. I always think a bit of civic duty deserves the nod.

Something went wrong there. :) I think the trees they have planted were located to close to each other what stops them from growing and in general its very neglected and wild.
    I used to live in apartments behind motorpark and sometimes I was walking through it in tesco's direction, it was a big shortcut -but VERY unpleasent. I never felt save there and meet exhibitionist there once (scary experience).

What should be done there to make it nice - is to just keep nice cut grass with some shrubs and flowers planted and maybe some playground for kids is missing in this area.
    It would be nice open and safe
    I doubt any mother with child can use it in any recreational way

This is a great example of what they have planted there :

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Galway+map&hl=en&ll=53.282692,-9.054139&spn=0.005587,0.016512&hnear=Galway,+County+Cathair+na+Gaillimhe&gl=ie&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.282692,-9.054139&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-35655858

:) What is it? Any kind of trees?
    The way it is now, its just a place for some dodgy characters to hide, drink and scare other people. Pitty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

http://g.co/maps/27cba

On the opposite site of the road there's a "forest".

Pretty embarrassing to call these areas forests, or even woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The vision for Terryland Forest Park was, and remains, a good one IMO.

http://friendsoftheterrylandforest.blogspot.com/2008/02/campaigh-to-save-peoples-forest-park-in.html

It was planted with the help of many Galway citizens. Unfortunately it has been sorely neglected by the City Council in particular, and they have even proposed running a new road through it.

Studies by NUI Galway's Zoology Dept have shown that there are at least twelve species of mammal to be found in TFP, including the hare, remarkably enough.

http://www.galwaybiodiversity.com/city.html

http://www.jstor.org/pss/25536823

The common or garden Bush Drinker is seen all too frequently of course, as is that endemic pest, the Irish Litter Lout.

The TFP already serves a valuable function as an ecological corridor for native flora and fauna, and it would be great if in time it becomes a haven for peaceable human beings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Idea was great especially since Galway is the only city without a park in the centre but the Council messed up by forgetting about it.
    I used to bring the dog down there: Dyke Rd-Riverside- nice safe run but there is so much glass now its not possible.
    You would think after the mess they made of Eyre Sq they would like to have a city park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Idea was great especially since Galway is the only city without a park in the centre but the Council messed up by forgetting about it.
    I used to bring the dog down there: Dyke Rd-Riverside- nice safe run but there is so much glass now its not possible.
    You would think after the mess they made of Eyre Sq they would like to have a city park.

I was at the meeting where Joe Gavin (then city manager) and Gerry? Mitchell (consulting landscape architect) presented their proposals for Eyre Square. They put up a slide of Central Park in New York and told us this was the outdated way of doing things.

Nowadays they said, the idea of trying to recreate the countryside in a city environment was redundant because anyone who wanted to experience a countryside setting could just hop in their cars and go out to the country.

That is the level of vision you are dealing with at senior management level in this city. And at the moment, there is unfortunately no apparent mechanism for readily dispensing with such people

softmee wrote: »
    Oh, I thought the red cross is where the crater is on your map, but thats the "center of view", so I still dont know.. :)
    Have you marked it on that map somehow?

Yes, I centered the map on the crater. Its not hard to find on the ground. There is a green metal fence around it, about 1.3m high.

Nowadays they said, the idea of trying to recreate the countryside in a city environment was redundant because anyone who wanted to experience a countryside setting could just hop in their cars and go out to the country.

OMG and what about the people without cars? Or mothers who stay at home with babies when husband is at work! :confused:
    Seriously, the nice city park is something I miss a lot in this town.
    -and by city park I mean something like this:
    http://images29.fotosik.pl/278/8dcfca3543a34f78med.jpg

-and back to the terryland -the people who planted those trees and bushes -did they get any advice from some professional gardener or they just planted what they've got and how they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I had to go out that direction yesterday and came across Terryland Park. I was pretty shocked. I had seen this: http://friendsoftheterrylandforest.blogspot.com/2008/02/campaigh-to-save-peoples-forest-park-in.html and heard 'forest park' and expected something very different! It's completely overgrown, weeds and bramble have taken over and it's absolutely full of rubbish. I can't imagine anyone going there apart from 'undesirables' to use as a drinking spot. It's obviously been completely neglected which is a real shame.

I noticed that NDP and EU funding was only until 2006 so it has probably been neglected since then.

I'm from Kilkenny, which has the excellent Castle Park right in the town center, and I lived for years in Dublin which has an abundance of excellent city-centre parks. It's a real shame that there isn't something decent and central in Galway.

Thanks for the above recommendations folks, I will be checking them out when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Bootsy. wrote: »
    I had to go out that direction yesterday and came across Terryland Park.

In fairness that "forest park" was only planted in the last 10-15 years, so the trees wouldn't have reached maturity yet anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Barna woods isn't a city park per se but well worth a visit

http://img.ie/457ba.jpg

http://img.ie/145a4.jpg

http://img.ie/87138.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

biko wrote: »

It even has the magical and very illusive 7 legged horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Having grown up in waterford the first thing i missed after moving to galway was a decent city park. The peoples park in waterford is slap bang in the middle of the city and fully enclosed with a racing track, pitches etc. I loved going there and bringing a book for a nice relaxing place to read.

It's heart breaking knowing that smaller towns that ours have really lovely city parks. I've been involved in community politics for years in Galway city and it's not only the management but the city councillors who think that Renvyle park is enough (one well known councillor said to me she didn't know why the people of Galway complained about a lack of parks when they had Coole park!!).

I've done a clean up or two with the 'Friends of Doughiska park' and the citizens and young people of Galway have no respect for their parks. Cleaning up broken glass from bush drinking is heartbreakingly discouraging:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

We have set up this group to show the positive uses of merlin woods and how it is an asset to our city. a large biodiverse area , a quiet place to walk with out noise from traffic , a place which is used by schools for orienteering, an historical area and many other things. their is a proposed bus corridor and we feel this would have a major negative impact in the area , with approx 266 buses using it daily..https://www.facebook.com/groups/128207273995064/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Terryland river is being dredged at the minute in the park near Bodkin Point/Gate/Chaos. It looks quite wide now and makes a big difference to the park imho

Advertisement