Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs

Options
  • 19-10-2011 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I use wireless at home, can be a bit unreliable. I migh try out homeplugs.

Anyone got any feedback on these devices or any advice on which make/model to buy?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They are fantastic. I got a pair of Devolo 200Mbs homeplugs over a year ago as I was having issues with my wireless network.
    I can now stream avi files from my PC to my PS3 with no lag or stuttering.

They are very simple to setup, just plug them in and insert the network cable.

These are the ones I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1579-AVplus-Special-Starter/dp/B00472MMAI/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1319012103&sr=8-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Homeplugs can be very hit or miss depending on your homes electrical circuitry, lots of threads on them if you search. Buy a decent brand if you're getting some and buy online so you can get a refund if they don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I've a pair of these cheaper Solwise 85Mbps adapters and they work a treat for PC and Xbox Live. You only need 200Mbps if you want to stream big video files (or shave a few milliseconds off your lag time in Xbox) and if your internet connection is sufficiently fast to warrant that in the first place. But your mileage may vary - try them out with the option to return/exchange them if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭M00lers

I've used Zyxel Homeplugs for about three years now and while they are better than wireless and very handy they have there own problems. I've had to return 2 units that were replaced by Zyxel with no issue about a year ago.

But one year on I've now another pair that are not working so long term reliablity has been poor in my experience.

Also sometimes they don't "sync" at a decent speed which can involve a bit of troubleshooting i.e swapping out ethernet cables and plugging different units into different power outlets which is a royal pain in the rear.

My current setup is working very well though. In my kitchen I have 2 PS3s, a desktop PC, a laptop and my TV all connected via ethernet to a gigabit network switch which is connected to a Homeplug, the other Homeplug is connected to my UPC wireless router. Very happy with this configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Any sign of these being integrated into media appliances tv/radio etc ..?

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    Any sign of these being integrated into media appliances tv/radio etc ..?

Not that I've seen, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I have a couple of Netgear plugs I got a couple of years ago. They're hit and miss. They work on some sockets and not on others. I think it all comes down to how your house is wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Not that I've seen, thankfully.

Why thankfully ..? Seems like it could be a good idea for plug and play media ..?

I presume they have to be plugged in on the same circuit ??

k.p.h wrote: »
    Why thankfully ..? Seems like it could be a good idea for plug and play media ..?

I presume they have to be plugged in on the same circuit ??

It's just that I prefer TVs to be just that....TVs, a display.
    I'd prefer if the time and money spent on the current trend of adding gimmicky features to TVs was spent on perfomance/picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I've got the Solwise 200Mbps homeplugs. Huge upgrade over the wireless. My computer is fairly far from the router and the wireless was slow and constantly dropping connection. With the homeplugs it's like being plugged directly into the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I use TP-Link 200Mbps homplugs between my media server and router, also another one at my HTPC, I can't run cables and wireless is too inconsistent.

They're cheap and I havent had any issues or drop-outs in ~ 6 months.

Speed is nothing special, the theoretical max you can get from a 200Mbps homeplug is 100Mbps up/down. That would be perfect wiring, no interference and zero distance.

In the real world I get more like 40-50Mbps depending on distance. I can get that from wireless too but it's unstable, especially with neighbours hogging channels and 802.11g devices connecting and slowing everything else down. Also wireless is half-duplex so your router can only transmit or receive at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I got the Develo 200Mbps version from Argos before and they work perfectly. If you are unsure if they will work or not I would recommend Argos as you can take them back within 30 days, no questions asked. I can't see the Develo ones on the Irish website at the moment but if you call in to your local one, you might get lucky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've got Linksys 200Mbps homeplugs connecting my Gaming PC to the router. They work a treat and never had a problem with them. Like Voodu above I'd only be getting about 50Mbps but it's enough for me to stream full HD MKV files so I'm more than happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dbpackers

I bought two 14 Mbps Packard Bell plugs years back when the Homeplug thing was just getting going. I still use them, they work fine even now (within the limitations of the fact that speeds have moved on).

I also have two Solwise 85Mbps units that I bought a few years back.

Never had a problem with either the Solwise or the Packards. Work in all plugs. Even dropped one of the Solwise units, cracking the case, repaired it and it's still chugging along.

I'm looking to add a multi-port plug and replace my old Netgear 54Mbps Router, and am looking at another Solwise purchase.

Given that I have 20Mbps (optimum) UPC and can't see that increasing by much in the next couple of years, I'm thinking of staying with 85Mbps units. I don't fileshare over the network, it's used just for Internet and Xbox Live, so having 200Mbps doesn't bring me any gains and it would make the old units redundant as the 200Mbps aren't interoperable with the 85Mbps units (although they can co-exist), unless I plug both an 86Mbps and a 200Mbps into my router (eek! lack of power points!).

Advertisement