Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Work Victoria

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

ok guys, before you start i already know i should have sorted out my farm work earlier.
    i have about 100 days left on my visa, had a good job in Melbourne and was pretty much told i would be getting sponsorship but that aint happening now:mad:.
    Anyone know some farmers looking for workers?
    is it better to go the fruit picking route or the working on a proper farm?
    if i manage to get about 80 days work will most farmers be good enough to say that you did the 88?
    Also on a side note, do telstra SIM cards work in any phones or do you, as i am told, need to buy a special telstra phone in order to get a signal in rural areas.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mdawg hopefully Gumtree might find you something.

If the farmer is prepared to sign you off for 88 (when you did not do 88) that is him/her committing fraud so best we just leave that aside.

What you need to know is where can I get this farm work ASAP so all answers should be along that vein.

At least you know now that you need 88 days rather than in 2 weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

With such little time to play around with WWOOF or HelpX will probably be your best bet. If you go fruit picking you could be waiting a couple of weeks for work, while still paying rent to those working hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Have been looking for farm work for the last week myself, and it seems fairly tough to get at the moment, all the farming towns are full of backpackers, finally got a job today picking cherries.

I think the middle of november for the grain harvest could be better or january for the vinyards, so your best bet is to do the WWOOF if your short on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Efaol89

If you are down as a full time worker and not a casual, then 88 days is considered to be from the day you started to the day you ended including all days in that block of time so even if you weren't doing 7 days work a week it would all be counted anyway. This was confirmed to me by the immigration people and i rang two or three times and always got the same answer! Its not a well known fact though.

"Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days worked."...thats from the website. So you should be fine. As well, you don't actually have to do farmwork there is a list of specified work on the website that is suitable. My boyfriend was doing pipelaying in regional Victoria and that counted. You should check the website out. www.immi.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Mdawg wrote: »
    ok guys, before you start i already know i should have sorted out my farm work earlier.
    i have about 100 days left on my visa, had a good job in Melbourne and was pretty much told i would be getting sponsorship but that aint happening now:mad:.
    Anyone know some farmers looking for workers?
    is it better to go the fruit picking route or the working on a proper farm?
    if i manage to get about 80 days work will most farmers be good enough to say that you did the 88?
    Also on a side note, do telstra SIM cards work in any phones or do you, as i am told, need to buy a special telstra phone in order to get a signal in rural areas.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a car? If you have, pm me and I can put you in touch with some people might be able to help you

• Advertisement
Advertisement