Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more rag week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

bildo wrote: »
    Is this the only small section of my post that you have anything to comment on?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

To be fair, bildo, unanimous is unanimous. You can't just discount 5% of the voters, ever if they are gobsheens.
    There's less than 0.5% of students who'll benefit from the SAF increase, for example... we certainly couldn't discount them.

No matter, I'm glad the vote was passed.
    I would prefer, though, if there were to be no "festival" at all, as it will inevitably fail to appeal to all and will only lead to more whinging. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cifzz

I studied in a small college that was affiliated with NUIG but we didn't have and RAG week or a Freshers week. I know many people in my year would travel to Galway/Limerick or Cork for their RAG weeks which proved costly with travel and accommodation but the weeks had such a reputation for being 'unbelievable piss-ups' that they often took it as an excuse to take 2 - 3 days off.

A bit pointless imho considering you can get pissed anywhere but I guess it just goes to show the reputation it has garnered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

This is a good move.

Of course, some form of hedonistic week will still take place. That's the nature of student life. But because of this deal, NUIG cannot in any way be held responsible for what a small minority of students are doing, and 70 students facing hardship get to stay in college to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

EyeSight wrote: »
    wow, so its like a buy out?
    what a joke, i don't go to NUIG but if i did, i'd be pissed with the SU, surely this is something they should have a student referendum vote for during the SU elections?

either way this will change nothing, the pubs and clubs will still be doing the usual RAG week stuff

Actually the proposal was brought to every class last week and each class made a vote and then the class reps brought these decisions to the SU. So the majority of the students want it scrapped. Instead there will be a one day concert/festival. They are using the rest of money to subsidize the Student Assistance Fund with 60k more a year which aids those students at risk of dropping out of college due to economic hardship (e.g struggling to make rent payments). They also argued that NUIG's reputation was being dragged through the dirt each year with the bad press from RAG week, so fair play to the students for 'offically' getting rid of it. If students want to carry on drinking during that week good luck to them but its nothing to do with the university anymore.

• Advertisement

cifzz wrote: »

A bit pointless imho considering you can get pissed anywhere but I guess it just goes to show the reputation it has garnered

Its fun to go on the p*ss somewhere different though. If I had that belief I would not have had the many great weekends on the beer in Liverpool, Edinburgh and even Dublin. Sure I might as well not even go into galway city just drink in my local pub.

Its a few years since I did rag week in NUIG but I will never forget them as they were fantastic weeks. Night clubs on monday afternoon, beer for breakfast all week, cp's 3 or 4 nights in a row, the craic back at different houses. Good times. It was great too because you had two big p*ss up weeks in the year now its just once a year at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Wait, won't the gardaí be out of pocket for not getting the overtime for the week?

not long before we see the GRA shouting overreaction...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

but rag week was a deserved and welcome break.
    Me Arse. How many weeks a year are lectures actually on, 24? No wonder there's F$%^ all graduates getting jobs. Ye wouldn't know what work is.
    Delighted this BS "rag week" was scrapped, the last thing students need is another excuse to go out an get pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I hope an unofficial rag week emerges to give two fingers to the begrudgers.

yeah, let them burn down the city.

Me Arse. How many weeks a year are lectures actually on, 24? No wonder there's F$%^ all graduates getting jobs. Ye wouldn't know what work is.
    Delighted this BS "rag week" was scrapped, the last thing students need is another excuse to go out an get pissed.

How do you know a single thing about how hard I work/worked. You haven't a clue.

Rag week has been around for years, Why is it suddenly BS, just because of a minority of students caused trouble. Although reading your post you obviously begrudge the students something you never got a chance to do.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    yeah, let them burn down the city.

How you came to that conclusion from reading my post, I dont know. What I meant is they should go out and have a good week of it on the beer. I never said they should cause any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cifzz

Its fun to go on the p*ss somewhere different though. If I had that belief I would not have had the many great weekends on the beer in Liverpool, Edinburgh and even Dublin. Sure I might as well not even go into galway city just drink in my local pub.

Its a few years since I did rag week in NUIG but I will never forget them as they were fantastic weeks. Night clubs on monday afternoon, beer for breakfast all week, cp's 3 or 4 nights in a row, the craic back at different houses. Good times. It was great too because you had two big p*ss up weeks in the year now its just once a year at the races.

Don't get me wrong I've gone on p*ss-ups in Machester, Edinburgh, Plymouth, Glasgow and Prague including a few cities in Ireland too and they were great and often went with friends I had made in college I just don't see having to use Rag week as an excuse or like the type of press it has gotten over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If facebook can organise all out riots in Egypt, it can organise an unofficial rag wk over here. The only difference is you probably won't have the increased police presence because they'll find it harder to consult with the college, and the college itself won't have volunteers helping out.

The majority of students had little to do with the college anyway during the week, confining their drinking to estates and the pubs, so this will make little difference. If the SU are indeed having a festival day, then the unofficial rag wk will probably occur the same week. Otherwise they'll jump in with GMIT's week.

Where this might help is that the incoming first years won't see it advertised and may not partake. Over the course of a few years it might die away. But any student that has experienced it up to now will want that craic again so it'll continue for 2/3 years at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

antoobrien wrote: »
    Wait, won't the gardaí be out of pocket for not getting the overtime for the week?

not long before we see the GRA shouting overreaction...

More time for money racket speed traps......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I dont think anyone would have a problem with rag week if people didnt act like total ****wits.
    Its like raceweek & paddys day,no one takes any responsibility for their own drinking.

Not going to make a blind bit of difference, the same element who make a show of themselves year in year out will continue to do so. Only difference is that it's no longer sanctioned by the college. I finished up in GMIT this year and during rag week I either went home for a week or else went to lectures and ignored the whole drink to excess that many others did.

Now that I'm out of college I'm still going to avoid town as best I can during next years unofficial rag week. Nothing as disgusting as stepping over drunken 18 year old students covered in their own piss and vomit at 3 in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Glad to see the link with Nuig will be broken, now the Gardai will be able to crack down heavy on the assholes and they now won't be able to whine that they were raising money for worthy causes and plead for special status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I was a student in the 'olden days' and Rag week used to be the craic. When I saw the footage of what happened last year I was genuinely floored. Perhaps it needs a few years to 'cool off' before students look at the concept again.

Thousands of students were mortified by what was happening and expressed it in their vote. The 'small minority' that everyone blames for the bad press seemed to have a huge negative impact and, yes, ruined it for everyone in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Have you ever attended college? You just sound bitter tbh.

delighted to see this gone

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

wonder will Race Week follow suit? of course not, because people are hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

the irony of it all is that the extra 60000 will help go to alcoholics and drug addicts 'unofficial ragweek' fund.....

Rag week has been around for years, Why is it suddenly BS.
    Its not suddenly BS, its been BS for years.

wonder will Race Week follow suit? of course not, because people are hypocrites.

Thankfully we never need to worry about race week being cancelled, its too important for the city as well as being the best week of the year in Galway.
    Its not suddenly BS, its been BS for years.

Because you never got to take part no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im not sure if this is good or bad. Im a student in NUIG and over the last few years almost all the positive aspects of RAG week have vanished. The amount of money raised every year has shrank while we gain nationwide attention for the havok that some people create. Its not true to say that all the trouble is caused by people coming from other colleges or towns, some of it is but NUIG students are resposible too. It will be interesting to see if an unofficial RAG week will develope, in the proposal that class reps voted in favor of the college have said that they will come down hard on anyone trying to organise one but I can see the week that the one day event is hosted on turning into one.

Also, is it just me or was the vote poorly organised? A lot of classes don't have class reps and no class rep asked any class that I'm in whether we were in favor or against the proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Althought it's a pain in the arse, doesn't the amount of money the students spend that week far outway the cost of the clean up after?

-Vega- wrote: »
    Althought it's a pain in the arse, doesn't the amount of money the students spend that week far outway the cost of the clean up after?

That does not justify the behaviour of some of the participants in rag week.The majority of people in Galway do not benefit from the student euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

kabakuyu wrote: »
    The majority of people in Galway do not benefit from the student euro.
    Students are a massive part of the econony in Galway.

Students are a massive part of the econony in Galway.
    Certain sectors of the economy do very nicely from the students spending but not all ,the majority of people do not benefit from the spending of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Certain sectors of the economy do very nicely from the students spending but not all ,the majority of people do not benefit from the spending of students.

17,000 students in Galway, that's a fair fraction of Galway's economy. It benefits Galway business as a whole really.

• Advertisement

Because you never got to take part no doubt.
    Incorrect, I went to college in NUIG. Rag week was a pitiful excuse for a piss up then and it still is now.

Advertisement