Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more rag week

Options

Comments

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Certain sectors of the economy do very nicely from the students spending but not all ,the majority of people do not benefit from the spending of students.

Having 17000 people spending money in the city is of benefit to everyone. Some directly others indirectly.
    Incorrect, I went to college in NUIG. Rag week was a pitiful excuse for a piss up then and it still is now.

Sure it was only the best week of the college year, well for people not afraid of a bit of craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

When I was studying, students were drinking wine, watching ambitious films and having late night conversations about important things like death,love and god
    .. and now .. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Having 17000 people spending money in the city is of benefit to everyone. Some directly others indirectly.

I agree, I should have clarified that I am referring to the period of rag week,certain businesses benefit more from rag week than others.BTW what does the average student spend in a week and has anyone tried to quantify the total annual spend of the student population in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

wonder will Race Week follow suit? of course not, because people are hypocrites.

Umm... race week brings millions of euro to Galway every summer. Getting rid of it would be completely counter productive. Every other town in Ireland would kill to have something similar to Galways race week.

Im a student in NUIG and I enjoy RAG week but I think this is the right decision. Almost all the positive aspects of it have dissapeared over the last 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Glad its over - i live in an area where theres a good few students, and last year i couldnt even stay in the apartment because of the amount of anti-social behaviour (setting bins on fire and the constant roaring, 24/7), it was fking relentless.

And i still had to pay rent for that week, even though i couldnt stay there, cos those fcking sh1theads decided to tear up the place.

Since when did rag week turn into a week where its 'cool' to chunk bottles at cars, and tear up the estates? Im only 23, but i dont ever remember rag week getting to that point when in my early college years.

I dont mind people having the craic, but not when it includes vandalising property, that's just thick.

So tough sh1t, if they wanted rag week, they shouldn't have to make it hell for the rest of the residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

softmee wrote: »
    When I was studying, students were drinking wine, watching ambitious films and having late night conversations about important things like death,love and god
    .. and now .. :pac:

That still happens!...but then they go out to Coyotes afterwards and wreck the place on the way home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Rag week was a blight on our great city for years. The amount of residential and business premises in bohermore damaged and disturbed during it was a disgrace :( Thank god it's gone and we can live our lives in peace.

wonder will Race Week follow suit? of course not, because people are hypocrites.

Race Week? That's like comparing apples and oranges :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

nah, it's like comparing royal gala and red delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Its pretty much like for like behaviour.
    Its only the new pennys dresses & topman suits that are the difference.

• Advertisement

barryd09 wrote: »

Not really, cant see it myself. There were no bins set on fire, or bottles thrown at cars during race week. And that week is good fun and brings in a fortune to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Not really, cant see it myself. There were no bins set on fire, or bottles thrown at cars during race week. And that week is good fun and brings in a fortune to the city.

Don't forget the little sh**ts who think it's great fun to throw rocks at cars on the quincentenary bridge. Whilst i don't condone the excessive drinking of race week at least the racegoers don't go around vandalising everything they can get their hands on - that is apart from the few students i see every year during race week pulling up flower beds and setting bins on fire just like rag week.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

barryd09 wrote: »

Bollox, **** all arrests every year of raceweek for the amount of people in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Euskadi1888

padi89 wrote: »
    Bollox, **** all arrests every year of raceweek for the amount of people in the city.
    Because Gardaí aren't going to arrest some 40 something business man, whereas they'll f*cking leap at the chance to manhandle a student. They all live out their Nazi fantasies during Rag Week, it's probably why half of them sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Because Gardaí aren't going to arrest some 40 something business man, whereas they'll f*cking leap at the chance to manhandle a student. They all live out their Nazi fantasies during Rag Week, it's probably why half of them sign up.

get the chip off your shoulder.

The amount of people in race week v students.

I work all over the city and the only complaint I would have about race week was in my eyes and I could be wrong underage drinking obviously as you get older the kids look younger so maybe some of them where of age and i'm getting old

rag week I had several students challenge me to get out of my van for a fight I had flagons of cider thrown at me.

I had one student attempt to spray me with pi$$ from a water pistol

This is not normal behavior because every other day i'm working that doesn't happen full stop

So you can call it what you want but of its an excuse to go acting like animals it should be banned altogether

If there that concerned about raising money for charity all the students should go dry for a week and donate all the money they would have drank to charity ...... Cant see that happening

Bazzy wrote: »
    get the chip off your shoulder
    Because you clearly don't have a massive problem with students, right :rolleyes:

I've never been 'in trouble' with the Guards, the only times I've had the displeasure of having to deal with them is when they've physically and verbally assaulted me for crimes such as walking into town drinking a can, not causing any noise or disturbance to anyone, walking from a taxi at the side of the road into my friends house carrying some drink (not drinking it), and walking along the street with a bottle of alcohol closed, in a plastic bag.

I don't blame them in a way, if I had the sort of mentality it takes to want to be a Garda, I'd also relish Rag Week and the opportunity to treat students however I want because at the end of the day, they're students and couldn't possibly be in the right, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Because you clearly don't have a massive problem with students, right :rolleyes:

I've never been 'in trouble' with the Guards, the only times I've had the displeasure of having to deal with them is when they've physically and verbally assaulted me for crimes such as walking into town drinking a can, not causing any noise or disturbance to anyone, walking from a taxi at the side of the road into my friends house carrying some drink (not drinking it), and walking along the street with a bottle of alcohol closed, in a plastic bag.

I don't blame them in a way, if I had the sort of mentality it takes to want to be a Garda, I'd also relish Rag Week and the opportunity to treat students however I want because at the end of the day, they're students and couldn't possibly be in the right, right!

Drinking in public is a crime.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've been to several Rag Weeks and not once have I ever been stopped, approached or 'abused' by a guard, nor has anyone I know, for simply drinking a can on rag week/carrying drinks/whatever. I mean, even talking in general, let alone Rag Week, and I've done my fair share of it. Sorry to be skeptical but if you're constantly being stopped by Gardai whilst partaking in these innocent practices you might want to start thinking what might be wrong with you rather than them.

It is also true that Rag Week is pretty much a disgrace. I liked going out for Rag Week but some of the stuff I saw was just appalling, each and every year it seemed to get worse. Two years ago I saw a crowd of dickheads throwing pint glasses at cars, at about 11am on day one. Not to mention as the week went on the insane amount of vandalism/destruction/abuse all over town.

I'm all for the having a laugh, drinking all day, for the one week in the year, but there's been an increasingly lout-ish aspect to it each and every year and to be fair it had to stop. You simply do not see that sort of out of control **** happening on race week...true, people go out, get messy, misbehave even but usually within the confines of conventional drunkenness.

Rag Week was approaching something more akin to Rioting.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Drinking in public is a crime.wink.gif
    Sorry your Honour, care to pass judgement on the other "crimes" I described, or are you just going to pick and choose?

I've been to several Rag Weeks and not once have I ever been stopped, approached or 'abused' by a guard, nor has anyone I know, for simply drinking a can on rag week/carrying drinks/whatever.
    Well I've just given you a few examples. The more you know eh? PS. No point quoting words when I didn't use them, just makes you look silly.
    Sorry to be skeptical but if you're constantly being stopped by Gardai whilst partaking in these innocent practices you might want to start thinking what might be wrong with you rather than them.
    Constantly?
    Maybe you would like to explain what I'm doing wrong. As I said, at no point was I mouthing off, being loud or obnoxious, or causing and disturbance to anybody.

Let me elaborate on one situation, since you seem rather desperate to find fault with it.

I got a taxi to Woodquay, as I was drinking at a friend's house above Eddie Rockets. I walked from the taxi to the gate by the alleyway next to McSwiggans, I am carrying a bag of bottles and holding one in my hand. Two gardaí and a bangharda start roaring at me to get rid of the drink, I tell them I'm just bringing it up to my friend's house, the male officer starts running towards me and whacks the bottle out of my hand, smashing onto the pavement. I ask the female officer what her colleague's problem is and she tells me to f*** off or she'll arrest me :rolleyes: I know you'll want to claim there is "more to the story" or that I brought it upon myself by being rude, but I always make a very concerted effort to be polite with them as I know what they're like.

Sorry your Honour, care to pass judgement on the other "crimes" I described, or are you just going to pick and choose?

Well I've just given you a few examples. The more you know eh? PS. No point quoting words when I didn't use them, just makes you look silly.

Constantly?
    Maybe you would like to explain what I'm doing wrong. As I said, at no point was I mouthing off, being loud or obnoxious, or causing and disturbance to anybody.

Let me elaborate on one situation, since you seem rather desperate to find fault with it.

I got a taxi to Woodquay, as I was drinking at a friend's house above Eddie Rockets. I walked from the taxi to the gate by the alleyway next to McSwiggans, I am carrying a bag of bottles and holding one in my hand. Two gardaí and a bangharda start roaring at me to get rid of the drink, I tell them I'm just bringing it up to my friend's house, the male officer starts running towards me and whacks the bottle out of my hand, smashing onto the pavement. I ask the female officer what her colleague's problem is and she tells me to f*** off or she'll arrest me :rolleyes: I know you'll want to claim there is "more to the story" or that I brought it upon myself by being rude, but I always make a very concerted effort to be polite with them as I know what they're like.

Stop derailing this thread with your ridiculous rant, all of your stories are completely unbelievable. Also, asking a garda "what their problem is" is definitely not what I would call making a concerted effort to be polite. I have dealt with the gardai on numerous occasions and have always found them to be polite and reasonable. Maybe you were just unlucky and have only had run ins with the bad ones, but to be honest I would say you are most likely lieing. I don't know why.

Anyway, I'm a student in NUIG and I think its going to be interesting to see if an unofficial RAG week developes. If it does i think the college and SU would have been better off not getting rid of the official RAG since anything solely by students certainly won't involve any charity events or fundraising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

MadYaker wrote: »
    Stop derailing this thread with your ridiculous rant, all of your stories are completely unbelievable. Also, asking a garda "what their problem is" is definitely not what I would call making a concerted effort to be polite. I have dealt with the gardai on numerous occasions and have always found them to be polite and reasonable. Maybe you were just unlucky and have only had run ins with the bad ones, but to be honest I would say you are most likely lieing. I don't know why.

Anyway, I'm a student in NUIG and I think its going to be interesting to see if an unofficial RAG week developes. If it does i think the college and SU would have been better off not getting rid of the official RAG since anything solely by students certainly won't involve any charity events or fundraising.

It's obvious the gmit rag week will be now a combined gmit nuig one. GMIT will create an event on facebook for it, then someone from nuig will create one too and everyone will be in on it.

NUIG are bringing in sanctions against anyone who tries to organise an unofficial RAG week....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

NUIG are bringing in sanctions against anyone who tries to organise an unofficial RAG week....

Yes, because that's going to work...

Just get someone who isn't a student to organise it.

I don't actually know anyone who has ever attended any RAG Week event organised by the SU/college anyway, so I doubt this will have any effect.

If I owned a pub/club in Galway I would definitely be organising something too.

Yeah I don't see how the sanctions could work, unless someone was silly enough to create a facebook event called "NUIG RAG Week 2011" or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wonder what happens when someone creates an NUIG Rag Week 2012 with an account in their friend's name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Because Gardaí aren't going to arrest some 40 something business man

:confused:

What are you on about? I was out a few nights this year and was on quay st most nights and the majority drinking were under 40.

Stop derailing this thread with your ridiculous rant, all of your stories are completely unbelievable.
    If they were unremarkable they wouldn't be worth telling, would they?
    Also, asking a garda "what their problem is" is definitely not what I would call making a concerted effort to be polite.
    "What's your colleague's problem?" is not very impolite given I'd just been roared at, and had my belongings smashed on the pavement by one of them.
    but to be honest I would say you are most likely lieing. I don't know why.
    You are grasping at straws here. But it is rather telling that your only explanation is that I must be lying - I think that reinforces how ridiculous the Guards behaviour was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

If they were unremarkable they wouldn't be worth telling, would they?

"What's your colleague's problem?" is not very impolite given I'd just been roared at, and had my belongings smashed on the pavement by one of them.

You are grasping at straws here. But it is rather telling that your only explanation is that I must be lying - I think that reinforces how ridiculous the Guards behaviour was.

Because you were just minding your own business, being a peaceful angel and the mean gardai came out of no where and smashed all your possesions on the ground? Hmmm...you also say there is a history of altercations with the guards. Seems to me you have an atitude problem that gets you in trouble with them and the tone in your posts verifies this. Instead of blaming the gardai for doing their job how about you think long and hard about why you have so many run-ins with them. Of course i now expect you to lash out against me too like you do with the Gardai thus proving my point. Some students are great, others have a lot of maturing to do.

Advertisement