Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce off?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Have a new recipe I want to use next weekend, but one step confuses me. The ingredients include 1tsp white vinegar, which should then be added and
    allow the vinegar to reduce off before adding...

I have no idea what that means. Reduce in my mind means boil quickly to reduce the volume of liquid. But "reduce off"?! Also, this is the not only liquid in the pan at this point, so how on earth would I know if the vinegar has 'reduced off'?

The dish is chicken cacciatore in case it's relevant.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I assume it's similar to reducing wine, when you cook off the alcohol. I could easily be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I agree. I imagine you let the mixture cook down a little be before adding the next ingredient after the vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It just means reduce I would say, there seems to be a new craze of adding the word "off" to instructions that worked perfectly fine without the word, fry off, sweat off, boil off, cook off, I would love to know the reason for it, I think celeb chefs just like sounding like they know more than everyone else and add it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

can you link to the whole recipe? most published recipes I find have been check for errors but not for practicality or coherence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's probably the recipe on Supervalu's site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

That's the one! Although looking at it now, the only other liquid in the pan before you add the vinegar looks to be whatever oil you're using, so I guess it should be pretty obvious when the vinegar has been reduced "off".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

yeah basically you add the vinegar into the pan and allow it to boil until there's very little moisture left. Much the same process as used in osso bucco (another classic Italian stew but using veal shanks)

Advertisement